C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 12:30 PM
Buffettattitude
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tires

my 2005 C6 Convertible is ready for new tires. THe current Mich Pilot Sport A/S ZP are wearing and noisy.

Cant make up my mind on Run Flat and traditional tires. Im not an aggressive driver and live in FLorida.

Any suggestions as to RF/or not? and which tire Mfr perform best.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:38 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Buffettattitude
my 2005 C6 Convertible is ready for new tires. THe current Mich Pilot Sport A/S ZP are wearing and noisy.

Cant make up my mind on Run Flat and traditional tires. Im not an aggressive driver and live in FLorida.

Any suggestions as to RF/or not? and which tire Mfr perform best.
I can tell you this. I have tested and ran both the run flats and non run flats from Mich, and the run flats are no longer noisier than the non run flats. I coudn't tell the difference in ride either. I put them to the noise test with my wife. (She can hear anything!) She couldn't hear the difference in noise. That was good enough for me.
Some drivers go to the non run flats and mention they are quieter, but that is because they have the tread of a new tire. New tires are always quieter than worn tires. I tested both, and both were new sets of tires. I did this for my friend at Discount Tires because he wanted to provide the proper information to his customers.
To each their own. I have 63,000 on the car and have had 3 flat tires and in all 3 situations I was not in a position to run a tire repair kit. One instance was a 3/8 inch rebar that penetrated the tire and the rim. I drove 80 miles or so to Discount Tire to have it replaced.

Last edited by joemessman; 04-26-2018 at 12:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by joemessman:
astaggs (04-27-2018), Buffettattitude (04-27-2018), Rebel Yell (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 03:08 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

This is my experience. My C6 needed tires, and I was so tired of the Goodyear run-craps I went with the Firestone non run flat. It was a completely different car as it drove better, rode better, and was quiet as a church mouse. I had a plug kit, and air pump I put in the back cubby. But then came the problem, I couldn't get the thought of having a flat out of my mind, i.e. will I be able to plug the tire, what if the side wall it damaged, etc. In short the no RF's are great for the car, but not for my mind. So, I'll sick with the run flats.

If you're going to stay close to home, or close enough for service if needed you should be good. But we take our's on long road trips, and sometimes we are out in the middle of nowhere.

That said, any good brand of tire in non RF will transform your car into a great cruiser. Good luck on your choice.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 04-26-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:19 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Oh boy!
Old 04-27-2018, 01:46 AM
45gunner
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

I have new Michelin Pilot A/S Run Flats. I think they were a great investment in quietness and ride handling. I also read somewhere that Corvette recommends run flats because it could save you some body work if a regular radial decided to come apart and tear up the wheel well.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:19 AM
Buffettattitude
Cruising

Thank you Joemessman'. I think I will stay with the Run Flats for the piece of mind of road hazards..
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 09:23 AM
Buffettattitude
Cruising

Thank you Rebel Yell.. You said the same thing as Joemessman and 45 Gunner.. I'm sticking with the R/F. Just have to choose between the Mich or Firestones..
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 09:29 AM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

Non run flats here. Went with Continental extreme contact sport tires. Ride is 100% better with no noise and trammel over uneven roads. Most repair shops can’t fix run flats anyway so I’m good with an air compressor and plug kit.
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2018, 02:30 PM
akriggm
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I put the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my 2008 coupe last summer and they are a great choice for all around driving. I went with the run flats for "peace of mind" and haven't been disappointed. I highly recommend them.
Enjoy,
akriggm

Get notified of new replies

To tires

Quick Reply: tires