C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bcm replace

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:50 AM
supertamme
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bcm replace

Hi there.

I´w searched but cant find a correct awnser.

I need to replace my BCM module, 2007. can i reprogram a used one? if so, what do i need? tech2 or and TIS?

or do i need a complete new one ? can i program it with the tech2 or do i need TIS ?

had the car at a dealer but he only used the tech2 standalone on a used module, but he didnt manege to erase the old vin..

Thanx

Last edited by supertamme; 05-02-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Popular Reply

05-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Tech2, connected to a computer with TIS2000's SPS and a GM subscription.

Or, with MDI or Tech II (Either used in pass through mode), and TDS SPS with subscription instead.

So for you to do it yourself without a full GM subscription, will need either a tech II, Mdi (clones will work) or a VX gm nano (which is a clone of a MDI).

Will need to get a $40, 2 year SPS subscription that will only be good for your vin number, but will allow you to firmware flash any module in the car using SPS for 2 years.

Short version, will run the SPS program with the tool connected to the car/computer, will pull up your vin, give you a list of modules, pick BCM, normal programing. This will pull the needed firmware file from GM, it will pull the mileage from the dash gauge cluster, and flash in the firmware to the BCM, as well as security code hand shake the BCM to the rest of the modules as well.

If you list your location, enough of us with MDI's/Tech tools that someone close to you may have one, and all you would need to do is get the $40 subscription from A/C Delco to start with, and would be able to use that account to flash the firmware for you. The account will stay active for 2 years, and if you get a tech II/Mid down the road, will already have a account to use. If you want to one time shot to do it, the someone could add your vin to their account isntead.

Hence the account is set up on a credit card, and every time you add a vin to it, GM pulls another $40 from your credit card. So it best to have your own account, and someone can use that account on your car isntead.

FYI, I'm in Denver, so if your local to me, not a problem coming over to get you squared away.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Or, with MDI or Tech II (Either used in pass through mode), and TDS SPS with subscription instead.

So for you to do it yourself without a full GM subscription, will need either a tech II, Mdi (clones will work) or a VX gm nano (which is a clone of a MDI).

Will need to get a $40, 2 year SPS subscription that will only be good for your vin number, but will allow you to firmware flash any module in the car using SPS for 2 years.

Short version, will run the SPS program with the tool connected to the car/computer, will pull up your vin, give you a list of modules, pick BCM, normal programing. This will pull the needed firmware file from GM, it will pull the mileage from the dash gauge cluster, and flash in the firmware to the BCM, as well as security code hand shake the BCM to the rest of the modules as well.

If you list your location, enough of us with MDI's/Tech tools that someone close to you may have one, and all you would need to do is get the $40 subscription from A/C Delco to start with, and would be able to use that account to flash the firmware for you. The account will stay active for 2 years, and if you get a tech II/Mid down the road, will already have a account to use. If you want to one time shot to do it, the someone could add your vin to their account isntead.

Hence the account is set up on a credit card, and every time you add a vin to it, GM pulls another $40 from your credit card. So it best to have your own account, and someone can use that account on your car isntead.

FYI, I'm in Denver, so if your local to me, not a problem coming over to get you squared away.

Last edited by Dano523; 05-02-2018 at 02:53 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Dano523:
449er (12-02-2021), AraNe (03-14-2024), C3Angel (09-30-2022), GMan3 (10-20-2019), John 511 (11-30-2021), Kevin_S21 (11-29-2021), Tailgate (05-15-2020), TCW (02-16-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-02-2018, 04:14 PM
nomocrap
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Why are you changing your BCM ? Are your low beam headlites randumly blinking. JAY
Old 05-03-2018, 01:09 AM
supertamme
Cruising

Originally Posted by Dano523

thanx! Great info.

but is it possible to do this with a used bcm , one that already has another vin in it?
or do I need a new blank Bcm?

located in Europe unfortunately so that’s a bit to far.

i have a clone Tech2 and some discs with tis2000 but it is a hell to install it.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:11 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by supertamme

thanx! Great info.

but is it possible to do this with a used bcm , one that already has another vin in it?
or do I need a new blank Bcm?

located in Europe unfortunately so that’s a bit to far.

i have a clone Tech2 and some discs with tis2000 but it is a hell to install it.

Walk in the park, and yes you can firmware reflash a used BCM to marry it to another car.

Start off by sighing up for a subscription with gm TDS for SPS programming ($40 for 2 years).
Note, not going to be using Tis2000, but TDS on line instead.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome

Once you have paid for and logged in, click on SPS programming, using a windows 10 machine, and using internet explorer.

This is going to walk you through installing Java on your machine, a few other programs, and when you get to square pop up window that asks you to install MDI and tech II drivers, don't install them, but press skip instead (skip every time you load the program, since these will not work with the clone tech II).

Always skip these drivers every time you load SPS
Attachment 48333893

Now on your tech II, put it in bypass mode via the tool, connect it to your computer and car, and your going to select the legacy Tech II pass throu in TDS sps.

Attachment 48333894

Need to back up a touch, and if you do not have a usb cable for your tech II clone to connect it to your computer/ your machine does not have a Rs 232 port that you can use with the cable that came with it, then here is a link for the correct cable needed that will work correctly to connect a tech II to a usb port on the computer.
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...DCDA52832EBF8F

Now since you have a clone Tech II, you may need to build the car model if TDS does not pick it up with the initial scan, hence select year, model, type, Vin and the rests.

Now once you get the first scan screen back with a vin# listed, triple check the vin# its listing, against the vin number of the car. Going forward from this point, is going to lock your subscription on the account to the vin number the SPS program is showing. Since you may have the other used BCM in the car that SPS may pull another vin number from, you will need to correct the vin number to your actual car in SPS, then hit next.

From here, replace programming ecu next, , then in the next list, BCM replace and program, normal mode on the bottom selection tab.

SPS is going to download the needed firmware file from GM , going to pull the cars actual mileage from the dash cluster, and will firmware flash to replace the used old BCM's firmware , and walk you through the needed steps to correctly security hand shake during the firmware flash as well.

Last edited by Dano523; 05-03-2018 at 10:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dano523:
BasketcaseC6 (05-26-2023), Sabre34 (03-16-2020)
Old 05-03-2018, 11:47 AM
supertamme
Cruising

Walk in the park, and yes you can firmware reflash a used BCM to marry it to another car.

Start off by sighing up for a subscription with gm TDS for SPS programming ($40 for 2 years).
Note, not going to be using Tis2000, but TDS on line instead.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome

Once you have paid for and logged in, click on SPS programming, using a windows 10 machine, and using internet explorer.

This is going to walk you through installing Java on your machine, a few other programs, and when you get to square pop up window that asks you to install MDI and tech II drivers, don't install them, but press skip instead (skip every time you load the program, since these will not work with the clone tech II).

Always skip these drivers every time you load SPS

Now on your tech II, put it in bypass mode via the tool, connect it to your computer and car, and your going to select the legacy Tech II pass throu in TDS sps.

Need to back up a touch, and if you do not have a usb cable for your tech II clone to connect it to your computer/ your machine does not have a Rs 232 port that you can use with the cable that came with it, then here is a link for the correct cable needed that will work correctly to connect a tech II to a usb port on the computer.
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...DCDA52832EBF8F

Now since you have a clone Tech II, you may need to build the car model if TDS does not pick it up with the initial scan, hence select year, model, type, Vin and the rests.

Now once you get the first scan screen back with a vin# listed, triple check the vin# its listing, against the vin number of the car. Going forward from this point, is going to lock your subscription on the account to the vin number the SPS program is showing. Since you may have the other used BCM in the car that SPS may pull another vin number from, you will need to correct the vin number to your actual car in SPS, then hit next.

From here, replace programming ecu next, , then in the next list, BCM replace and program, normal mode on the bottom selection tab.

SPS is going to download the needed firmware file from GM , going to pull the cars actual mileage from the dash cluster, and will firmware flash to replace the used old BCM's firmware , and walk you through the needed steps to correctly security hand shake during the firmware flash as well.

great info!!

mission fail allready on subscription , seems that since im not in US i cant get the payment through.

but i sent them a mail, and we will se what they can do about this. but i guess this service is only for US use.
and we in europe are forced to go through incompetent workshops..
Old 05-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Old 05-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Dano523
Race Director

great info!!

mission fail allready on subscription , seems that since im not in US i cant get the payment through.

but i sent them a mail, and we will se what they can do about this. but i guess this service is only for US use.
and we in europe are forced to go through incompetent workshops..
Another lad in the UK went through the same problem with his credit card, but A/C Delco got it worked out so he could get a subscription.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:20 PM
supertamme
Cruising

Another lad in the UK went through the same problem with his credit card, but A/C Delco got it worked out so he could get a subscription.
Sucsess!!!

I think,, but since my car is a convertible i have a top, opted for electric top on the list, but it said the top not secure, but it is.
and the trunk wont open.
this bcm is from a z06 but it has the same partnumber, what have i missed?
Old 05-08-2018, 05:00 PM
supertamme
Cruising

Also noticed that the old vin is still there when I read the bcm information data with the tech 2.

Why is that?

thanx
Old 05-08-2018, 06:46 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by nomocrap

Why are you changing your BCM ?
I got to ask the same question ...
Old 05-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Sucsess!!!

I think,, but since my car is a convertible i have a top, opted for electric top on the list, but it said the top not secure, but it is.
and the trunk wont open.
this bcm is from a z06 but it has the same partnumber, what have i missed?
SPS full firmware flash to your vin, using replace and program, and not just re programing of the BCM?

If yes, on replace and program flash and still have the other vin showing up as the BCM number now (remember the whole make sure you enter your actual vin, not the one that is already in the BCM when you start the process and it list it instead), , then get Ac/delco on the phone, and they will right a firmware file to flash the BCM correctly. Under option, your not going to use normal, but the other option , and then will use the number ac/delco gives you for the special firmware file to load it in to flash.

And if you did not change the vin number in TDS before you firmware flashed, your account is locked to the incorrect vin number now. So when you are talking to A/C Delco, bring this up so they can correct the problem.
So again, at 1:56, should have selected replace and program ECU to start with.
At 3:11, the vin number you got back from the other BCM in the car was wrong, as at this point, you should have changed the vin number to correct one for the car.

Now from the list, BCM replace and reprogram, and select normal. This will flash the correct vin, the mileage that is pulled from the dash cluster, and then the firmware for that Vin and it RPO's.
Note, if you want to go back into the BCM set up with tech2win after the flash, you can change the country for the BCM, and even selector deselcet RPO options. What tech2win or tech II alone will not allow you to do is change the mileage or Vin number and dedicated firmware, and that has to be done correctly through SPS instead.

At 3;34, if Gm wrote you a special firmware file isntead, then instead of Normal mode, you going to select the other option. This will deviate from the rest of the video, since your going to get a screen that asks you for the firmware file number, you will enter it, and this will download and flash that special file in to that module.

Hence say someone has a C7 that they want the upgraded suspension firmware. You have to call GM, pay the $450, they will give you the file number tied to your vin and how the you flash that upgrade suspension firmware file in to the suspension module.

If you did not SPS firmware flash the BCM, then it thinks is still in the Z06, and will list that cars vin number, that cars mileage and have the RPO's for that Z06 activated instead.

To see these, with tech II alone, diagnastic, BCM set up, agree, and it will first show you what country code is selected, then will take you to the RPO options. Hell, since the firmware is for a Z06 if not flash correctly to your cars vin, not even sure if the power convertible top option will even show up.

Skip to 2:49 to get into the BCM country and RPO's. And again, you have to use SPS to change the vin, the milege, hence the correct firmware file into the BCM to start with.

Last edited by Dano523; 05-08-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:40 PM
supertamme
Cruising

Ok ,,, i give up..

so now I have a brand new bcm in hand.
before I mess something up,

Is it the same prossedure or can I do it offline from sps?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:04 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

the disc's you got with the clone tech2,should be ''tis2000'' programing dvd's,,load them into the laptop,and you might get lucky and have your vin on them,the disc's ive seen got to ''late 2007'' and a little of early 2008 [but its hit or miss sometimes]

you might not have to use ''GM SPS'' online
Old 05-09-2018, 01:28 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Again .....

Can you tell us why you are changing your BCM ? ?
Old 05-09-2018, 03:02 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Ok ,,, i give up..

so now I have a brand new bcm in hand.
before I mess something up,

Is it the same prossedure or can I do it offline from sps?
Old replacement BCM will still be fine, but even with the new BCM.

TDS SPS, replace and reprogram ECM to start with.

No matter what Vin number comes up in SPS, double check that against the vin number on the dash, and correct the vin number in SPS so it matches the one on the dash

Now since it sounds like you register your SPS subscription to the wrong vin number for your car (the one that was in the old BCM), SPS is going to kick you out of the system when you enter the correct vin# for your car. Worse yet, when you go to start SPS from the log in page, the vin listed for you to click on, is not going to be the corrrect one for your car to start with.

So, get A/C delco on the phone with your car's dash vin number in hand, give them that number and they will correct your subscrition to the correct vin # for your car.

Now go back to TDS sps, again replace and program ECM to start with, double check the vin number in SPS bring up, and correct it to the correct vin number on the dash of the car, then BCM replace and reprogram.

Now the BCM will be flashed with the cars correct vin/mileage firmware as well as the correct country and RPO options.

If needed after the flash and you have exited SPS, then use the tool in stand along mode to go into BCM set up to check to make sure that correct country, and RPO have been selected in BCM set up.

And again, you can not change the vin nor miliege of the BCM in tool stand alone programming. This has to be done through TDS SPS replacement and programing as pointed out above.

If you just select programing, and not replace and program in SPS for both steps (ECM the first time, then BCM from the module list, then it saves the old vin/wrong in the BCM, as well as most of its initial firmware/RPO's for that other vin model as well.

One last thing, and do a Vin look up on your cars vin number on line, and make sure it lists the correct car year, model and options of your actual vet. Hence if the vin comes back with the model something like a z06, and you have a base model, then something fishy is going on with the car.

Last edited by Dano523; 05-09-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:38 AM
supertamme
Cruising

Ok. So i tried this one again,

did as as supposed to, chose replace and program.
chose make, model, year etc .
then my vin come up, the correct vin on my car and the one in the bcm.
then I can choose a number of units , ecm , Tcm, abs and etc.
choose ecm since that’s the most logical.
and then it come up what it’s supposed to do , battery saver software and bla bla. But, nowhere can I chose bcm!! Nowhere in this entire proces dose it said anywhere anything about the bcm.

going through reflash of ecm, and that’s it, I can’t do more.

now, if I plug in the new bcm, will it then come up as a program option after ecm and module as you describe?
for the used one don’t

thanx

Get notified of new replies

To bcm replace

Old 05-10-2018, 07:46 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Thank you 'supertamme' for answering my question
Old 05-10-2018, 07:53 AM
supertamme
Cruising

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Thank you 'supertamme' for answering my question
sorry

im changing it since I’ve had some communication issues a couple of times, somebody have also been in to the bcm and it just seems to been tapered with.

it works ok most of the times, but just feels fishy
Old 05-17-2018, 08:48 AM
supertamme
Cruising

Ok, some update fot future users.

It is possible to use a used bcm, BUT!! it has to be from a same body type, cupe or convertible. you can then download the software from SPS for ECM and the car will work, but it will NOT change the initial vin the bcm was programed with.
there is NO option for only BCM programing in SPS, not for my 2007 it wasnt.

think the best way is tu purchase a new bcm and put it in the car, setup a new bcm with the TECH2 stand-alone, just fill in the options for country setup and another options.
later it will ask if the VIN found on the car network is the correct,
press yes if it is, or change it with the tech2.. then its done.
easy as pie.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (05-17-2018)

Quick Reply: bcm replace