C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So much for a clean Carfax

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 04:12 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

I agree,,, what I could add is there may not be any specific trigger points for car fax... Because I did have a repair that would have shown an accident on a C5 Z06 but since I paid out of pocket it kept a clean Carfax... So what happens to one person may or may not happen to the next... That's why I don't have much faith in Carfax, if it shows damage history that's obvious but if its a clean Carfax I don't really take much faith in it, must investgate for yourself . Could have damage history but still have a clean Carfax
Old 06-13-2018, 04:13 PM
Rudysa2
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Appears TX law differs quite a bit from WI's.
Been filling out questionnaires on my trades, for years.
In fact traded a black vehicle. Front rubber bumper cover had faded, easy to see against black hood/fenders.
Guys appraising it asked when car was in an accident vs my statement it'd lead a clean life. Thought they'd trapped a scoundrel, regular Perry Masons.

After 30 mins going through front end using a fine toothed comb & flashlight they finally accepted what I'd swore to, it faded.

But, they vigorously checked because they certainly weren't going to get stuck w/ & reselling it w/ any possibility it isn't what it was sworn to be. New buyer suing for misrepresentation they can easily prove is just bad business and here, it's a felony involving the state.
From what I understand when a dealer goes to sell a car in WI they have to be able to pass a 120 point check. If anything on that check list is bad when a new buyer gets it, the state will help the customer fight the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (06-14-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 04:40 PM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 919cw313
I know for a fact that is not true, from my own car. Which is why I said earlier that no one really knows how Carfax works.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:42 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,448 Likes on 2,803 Posts

I traded an STI with a clean carfax that had hit a deer. The dealership noticed that the bolts holding the fender on had marks from sockets putting them on and asked about it. I told them about the deer strike, they seemed concerned about it. They later sold it as a clean carfax with the carfax to boot. I called carfax and told them about the incident and they said they don't add things without a police report. Carfax is basically worthless IMO.

OP, sorry about your car.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:14 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

Totally agree
Old 06-13-2018, 05:27 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

Not going to hide the damage history it is what it is. Otherwise I would not have posted pics here. Honestly the car has always been my daily driver with 70k miles on it. It’s a 12 1LT so wholesale was only around 20k anyway

I picked up a good quarter for 50 bucks just had to prep and paint it and already checked the wheel on a Hunter Road Force and it’s good. Car drives fine.

The kick in the ***** is that rocker. I am dropping it off at a repair shop known for that type repair or replace on Monday. We will see how it turns out.

At least I’m bonding with my Miata. What a change 😎
Old 06-15-2018, 08:27 PM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Please post some photos of the "after" look. In the meantime continue bonding with your Zoom-Zoom.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:40 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313
I know for a fact that is not true, from my own car. Which is why I said earlier that no one really knows how Carfax works.

My '05 has had six whacks and NONE of them show up on Carfax; some a few hundred dollars, and a couple that were over $4000. My '09 had one whack to the tune of over $10,000, and it never showed up, either.

No rhyme or reason, AFAIK.

Any info that shows up on Carfax usually can be trusted, but a negative Carfax report means nothing, IMO.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:13 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

if it is only going through insurance, and not through a PD report, it might not show up. I would talk to my insurance company about it.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:04 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Rear fender is a snap to replace, as well as the rim and alignment checked, but the rocker panel is going to be a pain in the **** for the guys to replace instead.

The rocker panel looks bad enough that it should be replaced, which means chipping the old rocker off, then gluing in a new one. So due to this one, take the vet to a GM repair shop that specialized in vet repairs since it's a lot of work on the rocker panel to replace them correctly.

Also, hit your insurance company up for depreciated value, since your going to hit with such when you go to sell it, and the repair shows up on the service history report.
The rocker panel is the absolute worst spot to fix on a Corvette. Its glued on and next to impossible to get off.

Clif
Old 06-18-2018, 07:40 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

In NC you have to sign a statement that it has or has not been damaged beyond 25% of its value. You do not represent as "never damaged." Carfax may or not ever show anything. My daughter has been hit twice in her 2011 Cruze and the Carfax was clean when she sold it early this year. And it was not damaged beyond 25% of its value (at that time) so there was never any misrepresentation.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:52 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

And people wonder why I'm "concerned" about cars that seem to have "floated" among two, three and more states---each state with their own loose or strict rules on used cars, titles, damage reporting, etc. I know what I buy and most of the time, it's new. But when it's used, I go the extra mile even if it's "CPO" (and I have two of those right now, non-Corvettes).

Quick Reply: So much for a clean Carfax