C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace bushings on auto trans cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 07:18 PM
mgistock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace bushings on auto trans cable

Do I have to pull the consul on my 07 in order to replace a broken bushing on the shift lever for the automatic trans? From what I have read on this forum, the bushing GM supplies are not of the best quality. Are the bushings available in the after market such as from Pep Boys, NAPA or Ecklers any better? I have owned my 07 for a short time and I am just getting acquainted with the mechanics. Thanks again>
Old 06-17-2018, 07:41 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Yes, you will have to pull the center console in order to replace the bushing on the shifter.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:07 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I would check the back bushing first. It can be done on jack stands with a pry bar and a lot of luck. They are all plastic and it does not age well.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:29 PM
Drjerrypcman
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Ok just did my bushings. (nothing like being in a parking lot and you put it in reverse then drive and it stays in reverse)

1. To Get Her Home:
Put Parking Break On
Jack Car up on drivers side
Find a friend to press on brake (i couldnt find one so used a rock as a chock just in case)
slide under car and find the lever beside the transaxle and swing it/push it all the way forward ( you will have to use the paddles to shift)
Get her home, put on parking brake, turn car off.

2. Go To Autozone and Many others who carry the Dorman kit #14041 bushing kit (DO NOT TRY ANY OTHERS BECAUSE THE SHIFTER BUSHING WILL BE TOO LOOSE)

2a. remove the two T15 screws and 7mm nuts inside the console, then lift the brake cover up and remove those 2 bolts holding the side panel, move shifter to middle and pull up on console cover and pull back near the radio and ac vents, disconnect the cig lighter that is in the console under the cover and your sport control cable. they both have little push retainer tabs, next unplug the left seat heater plug. move console cover up and to the right to uncover shifter.

2b. pull up on cable attached to shifter housing and unplug connection to shifter. Remove the 4 bolts on shifter and pull up. Pull up on shifter cable and it will give way off the bracket you cant see. Replace that bushing, attach shifter and install everything.

3. Jack Car up like in step 1. Un-bolt the metal gas tank shield, like 4-5 bolts. This will give you plenty room. Make sure shifter in car is in park. Use long nose vise grips AND A SMALL SHORT METAL SCREW THAT FITS THROUGH THE BUSHING to press the busing in.

thats it, took me 30mins total for both.
The following 4 users liked this post by Drjerrypcman:
Dave Carney (07-07-2018), ErikR (07-07-2018), S.C. vette (07-07-2018), Yokesc5 (07-06-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Replace bushings on auto trans cable

Quick Reply: Replace bushings on auto trans cable