C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing the stock nav/stereo unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 03:23 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
One way to do it is to cut the microphone off the end of the Kenwood mic and run the wire up to the factory microphone. Cut the factory connector off and solder the Kenwood wire to the factory mic. You would lose OnStar doing this but everything on the new HU that requires voice should work.
This is the factory microphone.
There was an upgrade to the microphone by GM later on but it still has the same connector on it.
That would make sense, but I heard that it doesn't work with the C6 mic for some reason. I'm not sure why, but I remember researching it when I was installing my head unit. Most of my information was through the forum, so there is a possibility something was incorrect but I couldn't find any examples of someone doing it successfully. My guess is, what you described is what the installer did with Northshore3LT's car. Maybe his update will help clarify the confusion.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:47 PM
Northshore3lt
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
That would make sense, but I heard that it doesn't work with the C6 mic for some reason. I'm not sure why, but I remember researching it when I was installing my head unit. Most of my information was through the forum, so there is a possibility something was incorrect but I couldn't find any examples of someone doing it successfully. My guess is, what you described is what the installer did with Northshore3LT's car. Maybe his update will help clarify the confusion.
Was very simple fix,installer just reversed connections,"Factory Microphone" now fully functional.Can use "Ok Google" now for complete hands free operation through Android Auto
Old 06-26-2018, 08:52 AM
jmaci
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I started because I wanted a back up camera. can't do video with the stock unit. Selected the Pioneer, very happy with it in my 2010 C6. used stock microphone and stock GPS antenna (with some splicing). Better sound, better GPS and back up camera. Very happy with the results.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:42 AM
hotinaztoo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default replacing BOSE stereo head

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
Check out the new Pioneer AVIC W8400 NEX. It's a beast and looks like it's factory installed.
Just purchased Pioneer unit from BEST BUY and had installed (free installation) and it was a great improvement!
Old 06-26-2018, 11:53 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Northshore3lt
Was very simple fix,installer just reversed connections,"Factory Microphone" now fully functional.Can use "Ok Google" now for complete hands free operation through Android Auto
Thanks for this information. I can't say how many times this question has come up on the forum, and it was always answered with "you need to install the microphone that came with the unit" or "you can't re-use the factory mic". So much so, that I was sharing that info also. Glad to have some new info and alternate options. Thanks to OhBoy and Evrose, and JMaci also for sharing.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:54 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hotinaztoo
Just purchased Pioneer unit from BEST BUY and had installed (free installation) and it was a great improvement!
Top of the line Pioneer! Very nice.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:53 PM
dswerlingC6
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the new Pioneer AVIC W8400 NEX. It's a beast and looks like it's factory installed.
Does the Pioneer AVIC-8400 NEX require a separate AM/FM Tuner to be purchased? If so, what is everyone using?
Old 04-13-2019, 01:55 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Crutchfield's website says it DOESN'T fit my '05 base Coupe...WTH?
Old 04-14-2019, 12:01 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dswerlingC6
Does the Pioneer AVIC-8400 NEX require a separate AM/FM Tuner to be purchased? If so, what is everyone using?
No am/fm tuner needed. You need a tuner for SiriusXM.

Originally Posted by RobLo
Crutchfield's website says it DOESN'T fit my '05 base Coupe...WTH?
This has come up multiple times recently about Crutchfield saying a head unit doesn't fit. Just buy the head unit. Others have installed it without issue. I installed an 8200 which is almost identical in dimensions to the 8400.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:30 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
This has come up multiple times recently about Crutchfield saying a head unit doesn't fit. Just buy the head unit. Others have installed it without issue. I installed an 8200 which is almost identical in dimensions to the 8400.
Thanks Fred...
Old 04-15-2019, 02:15 PM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Would any of you with convertibles care to comment on how well your new head unit works with the top down? Thanks.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:00 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

Here you go.......Kenwood DDX9705S with capacitive screen. Disappointed in the lack of visibility in top-down sunlight. I have adjusted the contrast and the screen tilt angle, but it is still hard to see in direct sunlight. When I first installed the head unit only, I thought it sounded pretty good in the garage and driving with the top down. Not really any louder than the stock Bose system, but you can do what seems like an infinite number of sound adjustments. First time I hit 55-60 with the top down I knew I needed an aftermarket amp. I went all out and replaced everything and have not looked back. The amp made a HUGE difference, the punch behind the music at highway speeds is night and day difference. Other than sunlight visibility, I really like the Kenwood. In my opinion upgrading the entire system and getting rid of all the Bose components is the best and most enjoyable upgrade/improvemnet you can do to a C6. It is something you use every time you are in the car. I really did not mind the stock Bose system but I wanted to add front and rear cameras, have navigation , bluetooth music and phone, and a more modern look. Spent some money, the install was a learning experience, not really that hard (plenty of Corvette forum help) and have had no regrets.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 PM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Thanks for the feedback. Can anyone say they are satisfied with the visibility of their head unit in bright sunlight?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:02 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by lovinmyls1
Thanks for the feedback. Can anyone say they are satisfied with the visibility of their head unit in bright sunlight?
I replaced the head unit in my 2008 with a top of the line Pioneer. Visibility in sunlight was horrendous. Couldn't see the screen.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:07 PM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

I replaced the head unit in my 2008 with a top of the line Pioneer. Visibility in sunlight was horrendous. Couldn't see the screen.
Ditto.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:48 AM
lovinmyls1
Racer

I thought the units with swivel screens would take care of this problem but apparently not. The navigation is my main concern with a new head unit. Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:44 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm confused. Are you saying the visibility was bad on the new Pioneer you installed, or on the original factory unit?

Get notified of new replies

To replacing the stock nav/stereo unit

Old 04-16-2019, 09:03 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by lovinmyls1
I thought the units with swivel screens would take care of this problem but apparently not. The navigation is my main concern with a new head unit. Thanks for the replies.
On a positive note........I use the Waze app with Apple Car play for most all my navigation. You will receive audio instructions while your music is playing. The verbal directions are quite good with Waze. With the verbal directions, traffic updates, obstruction warnings, and police reports you almost do not need to take your eyes off the road to look at the screen.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:44 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Today I had my installer put in a Kenwood DNX874S Mutimedia Receiver with built-in Garmin Nav in my 2011 GS.

Here is what I found out today after getting this head unit installed that does not make me happy ...

In my other car, I have mobile Garmin "Drive 60LM" GPS. This GPS can be moved from one car to the next if needed. This GPS comes with free map upgrades for life. Usually a new map update comes out about once every 6 months.

So, since my Garmin "Drive 60LM" GPS has free map updates, I thought that the Garmin Nav in my new Kenwood head unit would too .... WRONG !

I just checked today to see if there was an update now available for my new Kenwood / Garmin .... Yup, there sure is .... and it costs $70 to download it !

I had no idea ! !

Kenwood, Mutimedia Receiver with Garmin Nav . . . DNX874S

6.95” Motorized LCD Capacitive Touch Screen

Built-In Garmin GPS and HD Radio Tuner

Plays CD, DVD, SD and USB Flash Drives

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Compatible

Pandora, Spotify and Sirius XM Ready

Bluetooth Hands-Free Calling and Audio Streaming

13-Band Equalizer with Digital Signal Processing

Front and Rear Camera Inputs

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 04-16-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:16 AM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
I'm confused. Are you saying the visibility was bad on the new Pioneer you installed, or on the original factory unit?
On the new Pioneer. Damn thing cost like $1300.

Quick Reply: replacing the stock nav/stereo unit