C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hopefully soon to be C6 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 08:36 PM
satown830
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hopefully soon to be C6 Owner

I currently have a Honda Accord coupe with the v6 and the 6spd. Drove a co-worker's C6 and I was hooked. Been thinking about getting rid of the Honda anyways. It is loud inside, gets 24MPG, and is expensive to insure. Figured if I am going to deal with that I might as well have 400HP.

After reading on here it seems I want to get a 2006+ due to the updated intake, rear-end and few other tweaks. Is there any other common issues that could lead to a deal breaker? I am looking for a bone stock one with lower mileage. I see ads for ones that talk about cams, intake, tunes, and nitrous and then say "never raced or driven hard." Yeah right....

I went and looked at a 2006 with 47K today. Whoever owned it before......wow. It was the darker burgandy red color and they painted the center console, HUD switches, Info switches, a/c and radio *****, door push buttons and other trim pieces red. They put about 40 random corvette logos all over. Each taillight had two corvette emblems glued to it. Door panels, dash, center console, door sills all had emblems added. Z51 emblems added to the fenders. Corvette decals on front and rear glass. Body kit and spoiler were cracked with an off color spray paint repair......

I hoped that mechanically it would be sound and I could undo the tackiness and return it to stock. Idler or belt was squeaking, alignment WAY off, steering wheel was turned 45 degrees. I chose to walk away since it appears the car was ghetto modified and everything seemed to be messed with. Obviously they didn't care to keep up with maint or repairs based on it's conditions. However, on the highway when going about 60MPH and flooring it; the trans would SLAM on it's downshift and have about a second delay of what felt like slipping before it accelerated. It was not in sport mode. Is this normal? I want to know for future vettes. I wasn't sure if that was normal or they added a shift kit, tuner or it just had been beaten on and was on it's way out the door.

thanks guys
Old 06-20-2018, 09:01 PM
ojcrane
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

satown830,
I own an 06 base with z51 option and I love everything about it. You wont be sorry if you take your time to find the one for you.
When you see it you'll know it's the Vette for you.
Best Regards
Welcome to the forum
The following users liked this post:
satown830 (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:05 PM
6SpeedTA95
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not target an 08 with the LS3? Auto transmissions also got constant updates. Are you going auto or 6MT?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:06 PM
satown830
Navigator

Most likely go auto. I get in traffic every now and then and I get tired of the stick. I am not Opposed to 08+ but I am looking at 06+ since they are more in my price range.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:07 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The 06 you looked at sounds like a mess, unless it is a screaming deal I would run away. Update your profile with your location, a member may have what you are looking for locally. What is your budget, any must haves/have nots ?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:16 PM
satown830
Navigator

I'd really prefer the LT2 package I believe. Heated seats, BOSE, and HUD. Another question, the glass roof was an option in addition to the standard roof right? Meaning if it has the clear roof then it should have the normal roof too right?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:24 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by satown830
I'd really prefer the LT2 package I believe. Heated seats, BOSE, and HUD. Another question, the glass roof was an option in addition to the standard roof right? Meaning if it has the clear roof then it should have the normal roof too right?
The option packages changed over the years. I have a 13 GS 2 LT that has the Bose and HUD, but no heated seats.
satown830 (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:55 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

As I tell most folks set a budget. That is not necessarily what you can afford but what you want to pay. Decide on coupe/convertible, manual/auto. Search autotrader (?) to see what is in your budget. Come back here with questions and we will help.
Look here...and go to various years for what is standard equipment and what the packages are:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...006/index.html
Old 06-20-2018, 10:58 PM
satown830
Navigator

Originally Posted by ruxvette
As I tell most folks set a budget. That is not necessarily what you can afford but what you want to pay. Decide on coupe/convertible, manual/auto. Search autotrader (?) to see what is in your budget. Come back here with questions and we will help.
Look here...and go to various years for what is standard equipment and what the packages are:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...006/index.html
That I have already done. I search autotrader almost daily. I look at each vehicle and decide if the price is what i want to pay based on condition and options. My original question still stands of is it normal when you floor it @ 60mph for the downshift to be very harsh and feel like you are getting rear ended?
Old 06-20-2018, 11:20 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

After reading on here it seems I want to get a 2006+ due to the updated intake, rear-end and few other tweaks. Is there any other common issues that could lead to a deal breaker? I am looking for a bone stock one with lower mileage. I see ads for ones that talk about cams, intake, tunes, and nitrous and then say "never raced or driven hard." Yeah right....
My car makes over 600WHP and is never raced or driven hard. Don't think all modded cars are beat, instead cars with modifications are cared for much more to make sure everything is functional.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:28 PM
satown830
Navigator

Originally Posted by J3TVETTE
My car makes over 600WHP and is never raced or driven hard. Don't think all modded cars are beat, instead cars with modifications are cared for much more to make sure everything is functional.
Modded cars being gently driven most likely are the exception and not the norm. I want all stock since I prefer to do my own wrenching or have someone I trust do it. I don't want to buy someone elses mods since there is no telling if it was done right.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:39 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Another question, the glass roof was an option in addition to the standard roof right? Meaning if it has the clear roof then it should have the normal roof too right?
I'm not sure about all model years, but I know for my 2012 you had the option to go with a clear roof in place of the body colored roof, or you can get the 2 roof option where you get one of each.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:39 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Modded cars being gently driven most likely are the exception and not the norm. I want all stock since I prefer to do my own wrenching or have someone I trust do it. I don't want to buy someone elses mods since there is no telling if it was done right.
I definitely see your point. It's hard tracking down a modified vehicle that was done right, thats for sure.

But as far as purchasing goes, I agree on 08+ being a better buy. The steering feels a little different, the LS3 is a great motor and makes tons of power in stock form. If you live in a hot climate I would be hesitant to go with the clear roof as it gets VERY hot sitting in the sun (Coming from a Floridian). The HUD is nice to have but I don't miss it much in my current C6. Test drive a manual C6 before you 100% grab the auto. The manual is very forgiving and is easy to drive. I recommend finding the Z51 optioned vette as the ride is firmer and feels more planted than the ride of a base C6.
Chicago Bob (06-23-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 11:44 PM
satown830
Navigator

I will drive a manual if a good deal comes along. I want to meet the engineer of my Honda clutch and beat him. That Honda has the worst clutch I've ever felt. Engagement is different every time. Sometimes it engages immediately, other time near the end of travel. Had several friends drive it and go WTF? Honda put a damping valve in the clutch master which most people claim is the reason for the erratic clutch engagement. Some people removed the valve but said it didn't make much of a difference.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:50 AM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

My budgets started low and seemed to get higher the more I looked. I ended up with a 2012 GS. If your able to stretch it some it will pay off in the end.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:53 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

To the OP....slow down, take your time & do some research. Lots of creampuffs in the C6 for sale section, check them out. Also from the sound of your post I get the impression that you are younger than most who post here, I would 1st call your insurance agent to have him give you a ballpark figure as to how much insurance will run you. You might be shocked. Corvettes are very inexpensive to insure IF you have the age, driving record and a history of good driving. I'm not saying you are a risk, but if you have several negative factors going against you your insurance will be high.
Hope this helps and good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:13 AM
satown830
Navigator

Thanks

i am taking my sweet time. The Honda is in great shape and paid for so I am waiting for the car I want at the price I want. My insurance drops with the Corvette. Honda Accords are expensive to insure due to their lengthy history as a very popular car among theifs.

Missed out out on a great deal a few weeks ago. ‘07 with 56k and every single service history with the Chevy dealer. Showroom condition, owned by 60something lady who traded for a new Vette. They were asking $16,995.

Get notified of new replies

To Hopefully soon to be C6 Owner

Old 06-21-2018, 08:31 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Suggest you spend a few hours researching what was offered back then. Looks like you are just getting started: 06 upgraded intake?, LT2 same package as 3LT?, idler squeaking (or HB chirp)?.

I researched for months before getting my new 07. Take your time and get what you want.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:39 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

cars that have the clear roof didn't all come with body colored roof.it was an option on some cars
Old 06-21-2018, 09:44 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Most of these cars are garage kept, Sunday babies. There are plenty of nice cars out there.

Enjoy the hunt and what you learn along the way.

I looked at better than 20 cars before I bought my first Corvette. When I found the right one, I knew it!!
GM Owner (06-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Hopefully soon to be C6 Owner