C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bailing just after big money spent ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 04:55 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff T.
In a way it's similar to some of the restored cars you see on Barrett Jackson or Mecum. Some of those have way more invested than the selling price.

As far as mods, the more you mod typically the more you reduce the the number of folks wanting what you did. We're a quirky bunch!
True.....but I would go so far as to say "MOST" of them have more invested than the vehicle is worth. Of course there are exceptions, but I still kinda wonder just what are some of these people thinking that put high $$$'s into some of these cars, and then they don't understand that when they try to sell it they are only offered a certain % of whats in it....and that doesn't include the labor if done by the owner.....
Old 06-22-2018, 05:50 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
True.....but I would go so far as to say "MOST" of them have more invested than the vehicle is worth. Of course there are exceptions, but I still kinda wonder just what are some of these people thinking that put high $$$'s into some of these cars, and then they don't understand that when they try to sell it they are only offered a certain % of whats in it....and that doesn't include the labor if done by the owner.....
And, ignoring parts availability and cost, the amount of labor it takes to bring a '63 Vette and a '63 Falcon back to original is more or less the same. But when you're done, the value of the Vette is some large multiple of what the Falcon is worth.

Point being, don't waste your time and money restoring something that few people want and will therefore never bring a decent price.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:22 PM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Personally, the only way I can keep a vehicle for any length of time is to modify it. Otherwise I get bored within a year and want something else. The vette being the one exception to that rule. But even then, I’m constantly looking at headers and cams and builds and wondering. Just haven’t had the urge to scratch the itch yet. Like some have said, it’s very easy to take a mild mannered and well driving car and turn it in to a hot mess that’s just not fun.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:38 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by J3TVETTE
It's hard to answer this question as every car is different. There are a few things that come with heavily modified cars. Perhaps the owners spent so much money that they realized that they still did not reach their goal and should have gone a different direction and it would be easier to start fresh? Perhaps money became an issue and they need to get out of the car immediately? My current car is heavily modified and I do not regret it one bit. 30k+ spent on parts/labor but I love driving it. I know some people who have spent a lot of money on their cars and realized that even though the car is faster it did not bring them any more enjoyment as it was automatic.

Here we go again with this garbage about how a "automatic" Corvette is somehow less of a car....gimme a break!
The following users liked this post:
h8snow (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 07:59 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 449er
Here we go again with this garbage about how a "automatic" Corvette is somehow less of a car....gimme a break!
I just read an article in Car and Driver about the new McLaren, 244" V-8, 789 HP, curb weight 2850, 0-60 in 2.6 seconds, does the quarter in 9.8 -- and it's a friggin' automatic!

Who would want a POS automatic like that? I wouldn't take a free one, even though they cost $960,000.

Attachment 48333511
Old 06-22-2018, 08:09 PM
jackjohnson_218
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
We're programmed to never be satisfied. It's compounded by constant advertising and new products to tempt us. I love new stuff and it's easy to fall into the trap of needing the next best thing. The majority of us here probably dreamed of owning a Corvette. Once that itch was scratched, our minds thought about the next new model, or the modifications, or the upgrades. Never happy with what we have. This concept is probably what causes many to sell...all the scratches were itched. What's next? I'm not happy...what can make me happy for the next six months? And the cycle continues...
You just told my life story in one paragraph.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:17 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

For a lot of the owners the fun was in the build!
Old 06-22-2018, 10:34 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Absolutely and don't forget the "Hunt" either
Old 06-22-2018, 11:03 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

The OP was specifically addressing owners who only keep their cars for a little while after modding them. A lot of "Old School" hot rodders buy newer Vettes when they get to a certain age. Being hot-rodders, they immediately slap on headers, a new intake, maybe a cam, and a tune. Now, they have a car that is loud, runs a little rough, maybe constantly sends trouble codes, and maybe won't even pass smog in their state. They realize that what they created was not at all what they wanted, and decide to sell it to buy a Cad CTS.

I have nothing against people who mod Vettes, and really understand and appreciate the added power and rumble. Those who sell them right after modding them probably did not think everything through beforehand. Just my opinion, yours may vary...
Old 06-23-2018, 09:18 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
We're programmed to never be satisfied. It's compounded by constant advertising and new products to tempt us. I love new stuff and it's easy to fall into the trap of needing the next best thing. The majority of us here probably dreamed of owning a Corvette. Once that itch was scratched, our minds thought about the next new model, or the modifications, or the upgrades. Never happy with what we have. This concept is probably what causes many to sell...all the scratches were itched. What's next? I'm not happy...what can make me happy for the next six months? And the cycle continues...

Good post!

Ya know..... the thrill is gone, the thrill is gone away.........oh.... life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone....

Looking for that thrill that gets sung about I guess.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:33 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bruze
I just read an article in Car and Driver about the new McLaren, 244" V-8, 789 HP, curb weight 2850, 0-60 in 2.6 seconds, does the quarter in 9.8 -- and it's a friggin' automatic!

Who would want a POS automatic like that? I wouldn't take a free one, even though they cost $960,000.

I remember back in my track days....1970 - 1980. I had my street legal 4 speed 67 SS Nova turning in the twelves which was extremely quick back in those days. Anyway....there was a guy at the track that had a 66 nova that I admired. He was turning in the high 9's with a power-slip tranny. He had a little note painted on the back of his trunk lid that said..."And it's just a damn Powerglide"......

Last edited by windyC6; 06-23-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:49 AM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I love my C6 Z06 I just wanted to make it mine.. what fun is it to pull up to a car show and see 30 of the same car? Will I sell it maybe, but right now it's a lot of fun.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:52 AM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
The OP was specifically addressing owners who only keep their cars for a little while after modding them. A lot of "Old School" hot rodders buy newer Vettes when they get to a certain age. Being hot-rodders, they immediately slap on headers, a new intake, maybe a cam, and a tune. Now, they have a car that is loud, runs a little rough, maybe constantly sends trouble codes, and maybe won't even pass smog in their state. They realize that what they created was not at all what they wanted, and decide to sell it to buy a Cad CTS.

I have nothing against people who mod Vettes, and really understand and appreciate the added power and rumble. Those who sell them right after modding them probably did not think everything through beforehand. Just my opinion, yours may vary...
Lol because after having my cam installed in my vette, I traded my avalanche in on a CTS-3.6, not the V. I absolutely love the violent feel of raw power and noise from my C6, but also love the smooth and quiet from my CTS as a daily.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:01 PM
Chris J
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
Probably what happens is these "smart" owners realize the so called "Upgrades" are really not upgrades and the car now is a gremlin infused piece of ****. They want to sell to find an unmolested C6 so they can drive it everyday instead of "fixing" it everyday.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:46 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
For some the chase is better than the catch.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:09 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

My car is quite modified. It starts and runs as reliably as it did when it was brand new. It doesn't squeak doesn't make noise ( less actually since it's insulated). It's just better in every way. If I sold it would be to go to mid engine car and no other reason.
As far as i'm concerned, I've built a perfect FE manual car. I just want a supercar at this point.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:09 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze

That's because that's the only way they come. If you want the new McLaren, you have to settle for the transmission that comes with it.. And most Super Cars have Dual Clutch Transmissions (DCT), which aren't automatics like in a Corvette. It is a manual transmission that uses a computer that controls the clutch and the gear selector. The computer can shift the gears automatically, or you can can manually control the computer to select each gear. Other vehicles, like BMW's use a Sequential Manual transmission (SMT), which is a single clutch transmission. It was an option in the 2003+ Toyota MR2. These transmissions don't have a torque converter like a normal automatic transmission, like most other automatic cars, including the Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Bailing just after big money spent ??

Old 06-24-2018, 06:34 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ByRiver
That's because that's the only way they come. If you want the new McLaren, you have to settle for the transmission that comes with it.. And most Super Cars have Dual Clutch Transmissions (DCT), which aren't automatics like in a Corvette. It is a manual transmission that uses a computer that controls the clutch and the gear selector. The computer can shift the gears automatically, or you can can manually control the computer to select each gear. Other vehicles, like BMW's use a Sequential Manual transmission (SMT), which is a single clutch transmission. It was an option in the 2003+ Toyota MR2. These transmissions don't have a torque converter like a normal automatic transmission, like most other automatic cars, including the Corvette.
It was meant as tongue-in-cheek humor.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:45 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Two questions here....how does this type of manual/auto tranny allow for idling at a stand still ? And I had heard that these new fan-geld dual trannys were actually like two autos put together, with one handling the odd gears, and the other handling the even gears. Thats why they can shift so damn fast because the next gear needed is always engaged and ready for the transfer of power ??........
Old 06-25-2018, 01:46 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Two questions here....how does this type of manual/auto tranny allow for idling at a stand still ? And I had heard that these new fan-geld dual trannys were actually like two autos put together, with one handling the odd gears, and the other handling the even gears. Thats why they can shift so damn fast because the next gear needed is always engaged and ready for the transfer of power ??........
They are like two manual transmissions put together, each with their own clutch. And like you said, one for the odd gears, and one for the even gears. I'm not an expert on the system, I read it on the Wiki. I have a Toyota MR2 Spyder with a manual transmission, but they came out with a Sequential Manual Transmission (SMT) for people who didn't want to shift gears. I've seen it and saw it was a manual transmission with a single clutch. The computer holds in the clutch at a stop, and it shifts the gears by moving dogs. After you come to a stop, it automatically drops back 1st gear. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequen...l_transmission

Quick Reply: Bailing just after big money spent ??