C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink non-functional

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 01:48 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

Default Homelink non-functional

2011 GS. I haven't been able to successfully get my Homelink to work with either of the garage door openers we've had at the house. Is this typical? I'm still under warranty, so I could try for a fix. Thoughts?

Last edited by TxLefty; 06-22-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:05 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Can you confirm it is actually Homelink and not Lear Car2U? My 2005 had Homelink but my 2013 has Lear Car2U. I am not sure what year they switched over.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:07 PM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

I was able to get my 2009 to work with my older (not sure of the year) garage door opener. I used the instructions for the rolling code and had to press the "learn" button on the garage door opener as instructed.
Was the light near the button flashing?

Last edited by stingray71; 06-22-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:09 PM
tlcj
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I think there is a number in the owners manual to call for help. It has helped several people.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:13 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

I was pretty sure it is a Homelink, but now you're making me think about it. As nearly as I could tell the process consisted of pushing the learn button on the door opener then pushing and holding one of the buttons on the transmitter in the Corvette. (After supposedly erasing any previous codes.) Everything seems to be blinking as expected, but it just never connects with the door opener. The only instruction that I didn't follow was to pull the car out of the garage and point it towards the house. I was having a hard time believing that the transmission would be that focused.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:17 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Homelink has 1 light and 3 buttons. If you have 3 buttons and 3 lights (one for each button), then you have the Car2U system.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:18 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TxLefty
I was pretty sure it is a Homelink, but now you're making me think about it.
Look at the pad. Does it have 3 LEDs, one above each button? This is Lear Car2U

Or does it have 1 LED with a icon of a house? This is Homelink
Old 06-22-2018, 02:19 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

There are garage door openers that are not compatible with Homelink. I recently installed two new garage door openers and could not get my car to open them. I ended up going to the opener manufacturers website and it noted that their openers will not work with Homelink. I should have done that before I bought and installed them but I didn't. I am stuck with a traditional little button clipped to my sun visor now
Old 06-22-2018, 02:22 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I installed a Chamberlain garage door opener a while back. My 2012 Corvette has Car2U system, not homelink. As a result, I could not get my sun visor buttons to program to the garage door opener with out buying a Car2U repeater. Liftmaster and Chamberlain are owned by the same company, so if your garage door opener has the new MyQ technology, you won't be able to get it to work with out the repeater. Got one off Amazon for about $30. I used the repeater for about a month or two before it stopped working. Rather than bother troubleshooting the issue, I just gave in and disconnected the repeater and have been using the remote that came with the opener.

(This was a previous post of mine about my experience)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:24 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Look at the pad. Does it have 3 LEDs, one above each button? This is Lear Car2U

Or does it have 1 LED with a icon of a house? This is Homelink
Well. Answers that question. I have the Lear system. Pluses/minuses on compatibility? Guess I need to do some more studying. Wife's Acura took about 2 minutes to set-up. Have to recheck the brand on the opener. Was installed as part of an insurance settlement so I didn't pay a lot of attention.

Last edited by TxLefty; 06-22-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:47 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Well. Answers that question. I have the Lear system. Pluses/minuses on compatibility?
Once you get it working, it works just like Homelink but it sure was a PITA to get it working. My suggestion, don't brother reading the manual or online instructions. Call their support line. To get mine working it was a super convoluted sequence of hitting this button X times, hitting that button X times, do a little jig, recite the pledge of allegiance, etc. The support person on the phone walked me through all the steps and got it working.

In contrast, I was able to program my Homelink in my 2005 in less than 30 seconds.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:52 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Once you get it working, it works just like Homelink but it sure was a PITA to get it working. My suggestion, don't brother reading the manual or online instructions. Call their support line. To get mine working it was a super convoluted sequence of hitting this button X times, hitting that button X times, do a little jig, recite the pledge of allegiance, etc. The support person on the phone walked me through all the steps and got it working.

In contrast, I was able to program my Homelink in my 2005 in less than 30 seconds.
Appreciate the suggestion. I'll give them a call and see what happens. I'd never heard of Lear. Guess I need to pay more attention to what I buy.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:31 PM
Ericm1949
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

I too had to go to a Lear Car2you repeater for my '13 Corvette. Chamberlain mistakenly sent the Homelink unit after I mentioned several times I needed the Lear unit. Needless to say, that had to be returned & the correct one sent. Finally it all works as advertised. Just get the right one when ordering.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:16 AM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I have the Lear buttons and Liftmaster in a new house. could not get to connect, and in digging into the problem found that I would need to buy a repeater. Spent more time on that than I wanted already so just put the opener that came with the opener on my visor. Seems a shame. My wife's Escape programmed up in a minute. Not sure why GM bothered with Lear?
Old 06-23-2018, 11:42 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

2011 GS. I haven't been able to successfully get my Homelink to work with either of the garage door openers we've had at the house. Is this typical? I'm still under warranty, so I could try for a fix. Thoughts?
I don't know if this is your problem, but I could not get vette programmed to the garage door. After much frustration I parked the 'vette directly under the opener, it programmed and now works from quite a distance away. Hope this helps some.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:58 AM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Thanks for all the insight on this problem. We currently have a LiftMaster system, but will be moving in the next few months. Thus I'll just use the remote that came with the system for now. I'm not sure what will be in the new house from a brand perspective. A whole new challenge awaits!
Old 06-26-2018, 12:47 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

These homelink systems are all over the map. Sometimes you have to use the remote to start the program sequence and sometimes it's a piece of cake. Like some have stated there are some openers that just can't be programmed without purchasing some other part.

Get notified of new replies

To Homelink non-functional

Old 06-26-2018, 01:58 PM
bibbster
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I gave up trying to program ours. I just took the clip off the back of the garage door remote and keep it in the console. Those clips will destroy a sun visor over time, meaning the indention will remain after removing the opener remote.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:17 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Might want to double check that you are following the directions absolutely to the "T". I tried many a times to get mine to work with our Chamberlain and had no luck. after a while I realized I was pressing the wrong button during the sequence (DUH). One I figured that out it programmed the first time.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:36 PM
1Hotrodz
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 158 Posts

If you have the original transmitter from the garage door opener, try the sequence of pressing the learn button on the motor operator, then pressing the original transmitter and the homelink or Lear button in your car, if it takes the motor unit will flash twice, then release the original transmitter button and repeatedly press the home link button , all this before the learn button on the motor unit times out. What a PITA!! good Luck !

Quick Reply: Homelink non-functional