C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 427 60th Anniversary - motor failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:48 AM
my60th
Heel & Toe

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

With the Holidays and the chevrolet service department being busy, the service department wasn't able to get my car in until Tuesday afternoon. I spoke the service manager yesterday. He informed me that many of the parts were (scoured) in the engine including the crank and the cam. He has informed the CarMax service manager that he needs to put a complete list together of parts. They are comparing the cost to rebuild the motor (at the dealership) to the cost of a new motor. The manager was made fully aware by the technician too, that yes, all external oil lines, tanks, components need to be replaced no matter what they do. I asked the manager about the experience the technician had, along with the shops capability to rebuild the motor. He told me the technician builds race motors outside of work, and except for a special removal tool for the cam or something in the heads, they have everything to do the job. I informed the manager to keep me posted on the decision making, and at this point I would be OK with the rebuild and the original engine will stay (60th anniversary package). If we go with the new motor I will request to keep the old motor for the same reason. My next discussion is with CarMax to find out more about the claim.
The following 2 users liked this post by my60th:
cal45 (07-13-2018), Landru (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 12:28 PM
bibbster
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like you found a gem of a dealership! Sounds like CarMax will take care of you as well, based on the experience others have had here, so that's good. I'm looking forward to your positive outcome with this issue and seeing a pic of your ride once it's all been fixed.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by bibbster
Sounds like you found a gem of a dealership! Sounds like CarMax will take care of you as well, based on the experience others have had here, so that's good. I'm looking forward to your positive outcome with this issue and seeing a pic of your ride once it's all been fixed.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:28 AM
my60th
Heel & Toe

OK everyone. After some sleepless nights, I got the news today that the warranty company approved the rebuild. A rough estimate at this point is close to $13,000. They are sending the block out to an engine shop, NASCO to have the block cleaned and to have them install the cam bearings. I will try to to touch base with the mechanic and see if there is a way he can ensure that the rod bearings will be different than the ones that caused some issues with these motor for this year. From what I understand, its good practice when buying any new performance car to make your first oil change around 500 miles. The mechanic believes that this could be a possible reason for, or maybe in addition to, the the bearing failure as this car had no oil change history at least from the dealership where the car was purchased, until CarMax changed it at 6,000 miles. The next performance car I purchase used, I will try to confirm that the prior services listed were relevant to an oil change, and if possible, as stated in some of the forums here, to try to get a sample out to be analyzed. I will continue to keep everyone informed as I go through this. Thanks,

Last edited by my60th; 07-27-2018 at 10:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by my60th:
Jeff T. (07-27-2018), Landru (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 10:58 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

In the old days, engines needed breaking in to smooth out manufacturing irregularities. This did leave a great deal of swarf in the engine necessitating a first change at 5 or 600 miles. Today's OEM engines are so well finished that while it's still a good idea, in most cases it's unneeded. I do it 100% of the time even so.

Since your engine will be hand built, I strongly recommend the early oil change WITH filter. It'd also be a good deal to send a sample for analysis.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:06 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Speaking from first hand experience, since the car is out of the 36 month warranty there is no GM participation in the fix. GM Customer Service will listen to you and file an incident report but that will be the end of their interest. Very disappointing the position that GM takes on known issues and low milage failures but that is what we have to live with. The fix is out of your pocket.
Read closer, this is not a GM warranty issue, it is a CarMax issue
Old 07-27-2018, 09:13 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
Read closer, this is not a GM warranty issue, it is a CarMax issue
You are correct that this is not a GM warranty issue but they built the engine that has a major failure on a low mileage car. Unfortunately CarMax and their insurance carrier are getting stuck with the bill for GM’s shoddy build quality.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

GM isn't alarmist. They require an oil change on at least some of their engines in the C7. Guess modern engineering can only make up for just so much. After all, it is a new engine with metal parts rubbing against....other metal parts. Ahhh, yes....
Old 07-31-2018, 08:17 AM
my60th
Heel & Toe

I know when I was looking for this particular corvette, that I would have to say that most of the 2013, 427's out there for sale had less than 10,000 miles. Many of the 60th Anniversary special editions had less than 5,000 miles. I think a large percentage of the 427's out there are young in mileage. If I were to purchase another 2013, 427, and knowing that most of them no longer have the drive train warranty, I would confirm the oil change history was in check, I would probably look for a car over 10,000 miles, definitely have the oil analyzed, and if possible, at the least, purchase a drive train warranty. Would I buy this car again, absolutely. I have not had a ride like this since I owned a 1972 Camaro Z-28. I hope I get her back soon, so I can still drive with the top down!! Nah... I have a snow suit I can borrow...

Last edited by my60th; 07-31-2018 at 08:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff T. (07-31-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 10:38 AM
vetteflyer05
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Not all CE LS7s had this problem, like the well known valve failures it happened w/ some, not others.
w/ CEs it happened it was always on low mile vehicles ~<10K.
If one does go due to CRs as Mordeth cites, unfortunately it isn't a surprise to anyone familiar w/ LS7s.

Good news you bought a warranty and if LS7's stock w/ no tune, it's a new engine.
Have heard nothing but positive comments re Carmax & their standing behind products/warranty.

Keep thread updated, have a notion a new LS7, installed, will cost a good deal more than $12K.
IF a new engine's installed it'll still have suspect valve train so acquiring rebuilt heads is a wise tack.
Rebuilt heads can be ordered with better guides/valves, reducing likelihood of a failure.

G/L .
Just lost mine with bad rod bearings, 11,500 miles. Symptoms were slow hot or second start as if I had a weak battery and low(er) oil pressure at idle. The car would start normally when cold, shop said the motor was basically seizing up AFTER shutdown which interfered with starting when warm. I cannot stress enough...catch my passion on this...get regular and frequent oil samples to monitor any metal your engine is making. There is nothing you can do about this if your engine starts making metal, but you can limit the damage done by catching it early. Think of it as cancer screening for your engine. My shop said I was very close to a catastrophic failure.

I checked on a crate motor from GM, it has a different part number than what came in the car, a "knowledgeable tech" told me GM fixed the valve guide and rod bearing issue with crate motors but he didn't have a date on when that fix was implemented. He also noted that crate engines from around 2014,15 are probably of the old design which means they are timebombs too. More research on the part number timeline is warranted but I have an engine to rebuild...
my60th (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 10:42 AM
vetteflyer05
Instructor

Dealership happens to have a crate on the shelf for $11,500 out the door, they want $6500 to install it. Comes with a 3yr/100000 warranty and 2yr labor. I'm going a different direction to the poor house...one that hopefully doesn't get me there quite so fast.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:52 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteflyer05
Dealership happens to have a crate on the shelf for $11,500 out the door, they want $6500 to install it. Comes with a 3yr/100000 warranty and 2yr labor. I'm going a different direction to the poor house...one that hopefully doesn't get me there quite so fast.
If that price includes sales tax that is probably a good deal, but you can likely get a shop who does stuff like this with Corvettes and LS motors more often, to do the swap for much less. Get the heads fixed while you have the motor out, and I would suggest Johnson lifters and a superior mild Cam from TSP or CamMotion.

What year was your car/motor?

Last edited by BigVette427; 08-03-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Where is the dealership located? (You might want to add a location to your profile).
It sounds like they have treated you very well and would be one to do business with.
Good Luck
Remember to WAVE!
Old 08-03-2018, 11:07 AM
vetteflyer05
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigVette427
If that price includes sales tax that is probably a good deal, but you can likely get a shop who does stuff like this with Corvettes and LS motors more often, to do the swap for much less. Get the heads fixed while you have the motor out, and I would suggest Johnson lifters and a superior mild Cam from TSP or CamMotion.

What year was your car/motor?
I intend to use a local speed shop that builds vette and camaro motors. They can fix the bottom end, do the heads, replace oil cooler and clean out or rebuild all of the other accessories for about 6k all in. I will probably do some other upgrades while the engine is apart. Chevy house wants 19k to throw the baby out with the bathwater, although, having a longblock in the corner to build up at my leisure is enticing.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:53 AM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vetteflyer05
I intend to use a local speed shop that builds vette and camaro motors. They can fix the bottom end, do the heads, replace oil cooler and clean out or rebuild all of the other accessories for about 6k all in. I will probably do some other upgrades while the engine is apart. Chevy house wants 19k to throw the baby out with the bathwater, although, having a longblock in the corner to build up at my leisure is enticing.
$19K from the dealer.... whew! My 427 has 6,400 miles, no worries so far. Have not experienced hot slow to start and had an oil analysis with 3K mile oil done with no red flags. I just bought a 4 year GMPP, but there is a 1,000 miles period before they will cover anything. I'll be much more at ease once I hit that 7,400 mile mark. I'm in DFW as well, would you mind sharing the name of the local speed shop? PM me if you prefer. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2018, 12:42 PM
vetteflyer05
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS982
$19K from the dealer.... whew! My 427 has 6,400 miles, no worries so far. Have not experienced hot slow to start and had an oil analysis with 3K mile oil done with no red flags. I just bought a 4 year GMPP, but there is a 1,000 miles period before they will cover anything. I'll be much more at ease once I hit that 7,400 mile mark. I'm in DFW as well, would you mind sharing the name of the local speed shop? PM me if you prefer. Thanks!
PM sent
GS982 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 12:57 PM
my60th
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Sonny71
Where is the dealership located? (You might want to add a location to your profile).
It sounds like they have treated you very well and would be one to do business with.
Good Luck
Remember to WAVE!
Pape Chevrolet
425 Westbrook St, South Portland, ME 04106
Phone: (207) 775-6111
They have been real good so far. The service managers name is Chris.

Would it be helpful to all of us 427 owners, if there is a way to get a post out to our group of members to precaution them to keep an eye out on their motor and their maintenance, and maybe even include a survey? We could get feed back from owners on this issue, maybe get the current mileage on their 427, and see what scheduled oi/filter change routine they used. I know if many of them came back without any issues, and they had mileage over 10, 20, or 30,000 and followed the recommended oil change schedule, it would lead me to believe this failure is to a very limited group, and if anything else, help educate prospective buyers.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 427 60th Anniversary - motor failure

Old 08-06-2018, 09:53 AM
GS982
Burning Brakes

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
Default Priming engine before cold start?

Does anyone floor the accelerator prior to pushing the engine start button in order to spin the motor a few times prior to actual start up? My thoughts would be this should prime the motor and hopefully extend the life of these troublesome bearings? For the most part, I only drive the car on the weekends, so it may be 5 or 6 days between starts for me.

I also attached my first oil report as a point of reference. My car is # 0932. I agree that it would be nice to be able to put together a list of the cars that suffered catastrophic failure. It seems these bearing failures in the 427 may be much more prominent than the valve drop issue with the earlier (and possibly later) LS7s. It sucks to have such an awesome car, but to be scared to wring out that awesome LS7. 900 more miles until my GMPP kicks in then it's game on!!!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Edit 6-6-18 Oil Report.pdf (35.3 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by GS982; 08-06-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:40 PM
my60th
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GS982
Does anyone floor the accelerator prior to pushing the engine start button in order to spin the motor a few times prior to actual start up? My thoughts would be this should prime the motor and hopefully extend the life of these troublesome bearings? For the most part, I only drive the car on the weekends, so it may be 5 or 6 days between starts for me.

I also attached my first oil report as a point of reference. My car is # 0932. I agree that it would be nice to be able to put together a list of the cars that suffered catastrophic failure. It seems these bearing failures in the 427 may be much more prominent than the valve drop issue with the earlier (and possibly later) LS7s. It sucks to have such an awesome car, but to be scared to wring out that awesome LS7. 900 more miles until my GMPP kicks in then it's game on!!!
Thanks for sharing that oil report!! I was wondering if they placed comments on the report. Its great that they can give you a basic explanation of the analysis. Once I have my vette back, I plan to send samples out often to keep a health check on her. I know its nice to have the comfort of the extended warranty. I was covered, but I hope I never have to use it again for a major engine repair like this.
GS982 (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 01:47 PM
GS982
Burning Brakes

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by my60th
Thanks for sharing that oil report!! I was wondering if they placed comments on the report. Its great that they can give you a basic explanation of the analysis. Once I have my vette back, I plan to send samples out often to keep a health check on her. I know its nice to have the comfort of the extended warranty. I was covered, but I hope I never have to use it again for a major engine repair like this.
The only comments on the report were directly above the numerical values. The only marker that came up high on mine was iron. Does anyone know the composition of the bearings that are failing?

Last edited by GS982; 08-29-2018 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: C6 427 60th Anniversary - motor failure