C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 01:15 PM
3rdBattalion Kilo Co
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers

Need to know if you can keep the OEM HU and still replace the speakers and get better sound. The speaker inside my C6 427 sound terrible and I know bose attached a small amp to the door speakers, would it be possible to replace all the speakers and keep the HU and get real sound out of it, by adding a small amp to the system or do I need to replace the entire system?
Thank Yall
Old 06-25-2018, 01:40 PM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

subscribed
Old 06-25-2018, 01:45 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I did exactly that and got the idea from THIS THREAD. I swapped door speakers, added a 12" sub in the back and 2 amps.

Getting this will make the job easier too.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by EVRose; 06-25-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:50 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

You have 2 options, IMO, if you want to keep the factory head unit.

Option one is the cheapest way to go if budget and would be to replace the 3.5" speakers in the doors and the 5.25" speakers in the rear and keep everything else stock like door woofers and the Bose amp. This will give you a slight improvement in sound quality.

Second option is to replace the Bose amp with an aftermarket, replace the door speakers with some quality 6.5" components, the rear with some quality 5.25" coaxial, and add a subwoofer in the rear. Also I would highly recommend adding a DSP if you were to go this route. DSP's are very commonly used to improve the sound quality coming out of your head unit and is installed in between your head unit and your amp. It can take good sound coming from a head unit and make it sound great. Just my 2 cents, but DSP's are getting more and more popular and essential as factory head units are becoming more integrated into the car and more difficult to replace. IMO, the C6 Corvette is a great candidate for an aftermarket head unit, but there are many other cars, like the 2 others I own, that I would never ever want to replace the head units with aftermarkets. But if I wanted to improve sound quality, a DSP would be the way to go.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:54 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by EVRose
I did exactly that and got the idea from THIS THREAD. I swapped door speakers, added a 12" sub in the back and 2 amps.

Getting this will make the job easier too. https://www.amazon.com/PAC-AOEM-GM24.../dp/B0002J21XS
Great post! Lots of helpful info here.
The following users liked this post:
EVRose (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 03:22 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdBattalion Kilo Co
Need to know if you can keep the OEM HU and still replace the speakers and get better sound. The speaker inside my C6 427 sound terrible and I know bose attached a small amp to the door speakers, would it be possible to replace all the speakers and keep the HU and get real sound out of it, by adding a small amp to the system or do I need to replace the entire system?
Thank Yall
I never heard of that. Or are you talking about the main amp in the foot well.Here is the redesigned system explanation from Bose for the 2012-2013 model year. http://automotiverhythms.com/bose-so...olet-corvette/

Last edited by Oh Boy; 06-25-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Rontime (06-30-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 03:32 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
I never heard of that. Or are you talking about the main amp in the foor well.Here is the redesigned system explanation from Bose for the 2012-2013 model year. http://automotiverhythms.com/bose-so...olet-corvette/
I think it depends on the model year. Early C6 models, the door woofer would have it's own additional amp built into the woofer I believe. Someone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:09 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I think it depends on the model year. Early C6 models, the door woofer would have it's own additional amp built into the woofer I believe. Someone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
True but when he mentioned he has a 427 that is generally referred to the 2013. Usually if you have a Z car we already know it has a 427
Bailey & Avril (09-19-2019)
Old 06-25-2018, 04:19 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

True but when he mentioned he has a 427 that is generally referred to the 2013. Usually if you have a Z car we already know it has a 427
True that! I think you are right about the OP having a 2013. When you said you never heard of the separate amps, I just thought I would throw that out there to clarify any confusion about mixed information.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:23 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

They don't make speakers good enough to make up for a lack of power. Going to have to add amps if you want really good sound.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:59 PM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

You have 2 options, IMO, if you want to keep the factory head unit.

Option one is the cheapest way to go if budget and would be to replace the 3.5" speakers in the doors and the 5.25" speakers in the rear and keep everything else stock like door woofers and the Bose amp. This will give you a slight improvement in sound quality.

Second option is to replace the Bose amp with an aftermarket, replace the door speakers with some quality 6.5" components, the rear with some quality 5.25" coaxial, and add a subwoofer in the rear. Also I would highly recommend adding a DSP if you were to go this route. DSP's are very commonly used to improve the sound quality coming out of your head unit and is installed in between your head unit and your amp. It can take good sound coming from a head unit and make it sound great. Just my 2 cents, but DSP's are getting more and more popular and essential as factory head units are becoming more integrated into the car and more difficult to replace. IMO, the C6 Corvette is a great candidate for an aftermarket head unit, but there are many other cars, like the 2 others I own, that I would never ever want to replace the head units with aftermarkets. But if I wanted to improve sound quality, a DSP would be the way to go.
I did option number two and kept the stock HU. The sound was great but I felt it was missing something. I later replaced the HU with a Pioneer 8200. The sound really popped with that addition.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:11 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jimnc
I did option number two and kept the stock HU. The sound was great but I felt it was missing something. I later replaced the HU with a Pioneer 8200. The sound really popped with that addition.

I agree with you. I also have the Pioneer 8200, along with Focal KRX2's in the front and Morel Hybrids in the back with a JL sub all powered by a 5 channel Morel amp. I know some don't like to change their head units and want to keep that factory. Even though I don't like the factory head units on the C6, I respect their decisions if they are adamant on retaining it.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:28 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

The bose amp only puts out a stereo signal to the two small speakers in the doors. The speaker power output to the center speaker, the two rear speakers are mono, and the outputs to the door thumper speakers that have there own amps, is a mono signal as well.

So head unit can stay, the Bose amp in the passengers floor panel gets replaced with a new amp, and then speaker are replaced to work with the higher output of the new amp.

As for amp, pick you poison.
Myself, would just run with a two channel amp A/B Fret amp with THD in the .01% range, and not a Class D moffet amp that has THD levels in the +1. % instead.

On the system, would run 12db cross overs, balance out the speakers via resistors (for phasing too) and even with a dual wire cone sub woofer with a 12DB cross over, should be able to keep the load on amp above 2 ohms. Hence 200 watt class A/B amp (what is will put that much power out continuously , and not just a peak number went lighting strikes it instead), should be able to have clean 20-20K output at the 130db range with less than .01% THD (if the system is designed correctly).

Note, a huge fan of class A amps, but they pull a lot of power for the wattage output to begin with. As for mosfet class D amps (cheap power amps), you have a lot of output for the power they pull in, but finding one that that the THD is in the .01% range full range for full continues output of the amp, going to cost you huge money isntead. Fact is, when you start looking at the specs for class D amps, most will not even list the THD on the amp to begin with.

The bose amp is 9"x 5", so if your looking to put an amp in the same location, keep that in mind that your dealing with limited room.

I bring this up, since if your looking for a class D amp, the rockford fosgate punch and compact will fit where the bose amp sits no problem.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:17 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dano523
The bose amp only puts out a stereo signal to the two small speakers in the doors. The speaker power output to the center speaker, the two rear speakers are mono, and the outputs to the door thumper speakers that have there own amps, is a mono signal as well.

So head unit can stay, the Bose amp in the passengers floor panel gets replaced with a new amp, and then speaker are replaced to work with the higher output of the new amp.

As for amp, pick you poison.
Myself, would just run with a two channel amp A/B Fret amp with THD in the .01% range, and not a Class D moffet amp that has THD levels in the +1. % instead.

On the system, would run 12db cross overs, balance out the speakers via resistors (for phasing too) and even with a dual wire cone sub woofer with a 12DB cross over, should be able to keep the load on amp above 2 ohms. Hence 200 watt class A/B amp (what is will put that much power out continuously , and not just a peak number went lighting strikes it instead), should be able to have clean 20-20K output at the 130db range with less than .01% THD (if the system is designed correctly).

Note, a huge fan of class A amps, but they pull a lot of power for the wattage output to begin with. As for mosfet class D amps (cheap power amps), you have a lot of output for the power they pull in, but finding one that that the THD is in the .01% range full range for full continues output of the amp, going to cost you huge money isntead. Fact is, when you start looking at the specs for class D amps, most will not even list the THD on the amp to begin with.

The bose amp is 9"x 5", so if your looking to put an amp in the same location, keep that in mind that your dealing with limited room.

I bring this up, since if your looking for a class D amp, the rockford fosgate punch and compact will fit where the bose amp sits no problem.
So you are saying the door speakers and the woofers have separate amps? Maybe in other years but I don't think the redesigned 2012-2013 configuration uses this setup. I know for a fact the 10' woofers in the doors have no amp on them individually.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:27 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

So you are saying the door speakers and the woofers have separate amps? Maybe in other years but I don't think the redesigned 2012-2013 configuration uses this setup. I know for a fact the 10' woofers in the doors have no amp on them individually.
Agreed, that on the later vets, the door woofers are powered up via the bose amp, verses the early models that the thumpers had there own amps instead.
But neither here nor there, the OEM speakers are low power units, and you will burn them up with a higher output amp instead.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:09 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Please list all the components you used to upgrade to 8200NEX. That's the route I'm going for.
Thanks!

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 06-26-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:45 PM
Jimnc
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Please list all the components you used to upgrade to 8200NEX. That's the route I'm going for.
Thanks!
I added the following:

- JL XD700 amp
- Audison Bit ten DSP
- JL C5650 speakers
- JL C5525X speakers
- JL 10' Stealthbox sub
- JL remote level control
- Hushmat sound deadening in trunk and doors

Get notified of new replies

To Speakers

Old 06-26-2018, 03:57 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

I added the following:

- JL XD700 amp
- Audison Bit ten DSP
- JL C5650 speakers
- JL C5525X speakers
- JL 10' Stealthbox sub
- JL remote level control
- Hushmat sound deadening in trunk and doors
Jim, how do you like the Audison Bit ten? I got a deal on a new AudioControl DM-608 DSP but I haven't installed it yet. Did you install it yourself and if so was the software user friendly? I was considering the Bit Ten at one point, heard good things about it. Curious about your thoughts on it and do you think it helped improve the sound of the 8200.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:44 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Jim, how do you like the Audison Bit ten? I got a deal on a new AudioControl DM-608 DSP but I haven't installed it yet. Did you install it yourself and if so was the software user friendly? I was considering the Bit Ten at one point, heard good things about it. Curious about your thoughts on it and do you think it helped improve the sound of the 8200.

Fred,
It's hard to say whether the Bit Ten improved the 8200 as it was installed prior so I never heard the 8200 alone. I didn't do the install. I have used Audison products before and presently have an Audison preamp running on my boat. They are quality products.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:36 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Fred,
It's hard to say whether the Bit Ten improved the 8200 as it was installed prior so I never heard the 8200 alone. I didn't do the install. I have used Audison products before and presently have an Audison preamp running on my boat. They are quality products.

Thanks Jim. I actually did a search and read that you had originally installed the Audison when you still had the factory nav unit. I know I have seen a few of your posts about your 8200 and your audio system in the past. I just wanted to add that you have some nice audio gear installed. My guess is it sounds really good.

Quick Reply: Speakers