C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control just quit

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 03:41 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Received 1,080 Likes on 634 Posts
Default Cruise control just quit

Well my cruise control just quit. Can someone point me in the right direction to start? I know when the CC quit on my C4 it was due to a vacum leak so I am assuming that could be the issue here as well.

As always...........Thanks.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:47 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

I don't believe there is any vacuum involved in the C6 cruise control system. It uses the drive-by-wire throttle system.

Are these any codes present? If you have not done so already, probably best to start by scanning for codes.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:52 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow2007
Well my cruise control just quit. Can someone point me in the right direction to start? I know when the CC quit on my C4 it was due to a vacum leak so I am assuming that could be the issue here as well.

It's most likely the multi-function switch stalk. No vacuum lines on the C6 cruise control.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:02 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TraceZ
I don't believe there is any vacuum involved in the C6 cruise control system. It uses the drive-by-wire throttle system.

Are these any codes present? If you have not done so already, probably best to start by scanning for codes.
No codes thrown but I will check anyway. Thanks
Old 07-09-2018, 05:03 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
It's most likely the multi-function switch stalk. No vacuum lines on the C6 cruise control.
I was kind of hoping it wasn't that but if it is then replacement will be in order.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2018, 05:09 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Occasionally the cruise control my Duramax will quit (I use the cruise control on my truck more often than my C6) and when that happens, it recycles when I restart the engine.

You might just try it again and see what happens.

Last edited by LowRyter; 07-09-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:43 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LowRyter
Occasionally the cruise control my Duramax will quit (I use the cruise control on my truck more often than my C6) and when that happens, it recycles when I restart the engine.

You might just try it again and see what happens.
I'll give it a try. No codes thrown and the 2 amp fuse is good.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:45 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

I had that randomly happen to ours last year and after checking fuses posted a request for advice on this forum. One reply suggested unhooking the battery for a time and I did just that. My wife and I went out for dinner and when we came home I hooked up the battery and took the car for a test drive and found the cruise control was working again.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:11 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Icecap
I had that randomly happen to ours last year and after checking fuses posted a request for advice on this forum. One reply suggested unhooking the battery for a time and I did just that. My wife and I went out for dinner and when we came home I hooked up the battery and took the car for a test drive and found the cruise control was working again.
That's worth a try for sure. I have electrical schematics for both the AT and MT for the cruise circuit if you need those.
PM me your e-mail and I can sens them along.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:26 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Some faults will disable cruise control as a safety feature, though most of them should cause the traction control or ABS lamp to illuminate. Both conditions will result in stored codes, but they will not be visible to generic low-end code reader. You need a reader that can retrieve EBCM and BCM codes, like a Tech 2.

Unhooking the battery just clears fault conditions before you can retrieve them with a proper reader. It doesn't fix the underlying problem, and if it doesn't recur immediately, you'll never know what it actually was.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:31 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by torquetube
Some faults will disable cruise control as a safety feature, though most of them should cause the traction control or ABS lamp to illuminate. Both conditions will result in stored codes, but they will not be visible to generic low-end code reader. You need a reader that can retrieve EBCM and BCM codes, like a Tech 2.

Unhooking the battery just clears fault conditions before you can retrieve them with a proper reader. It doesn't fix the underlying problem, and if it doesn't recur immediately, you'll never know what it actually was.
I know about the tech 2 code reader which is why I didn't put much stock in my readings. I think I will try the battery disconnect first and see how that works.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:50 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

As stated, really need a Tech II to pull the body/abs codes, since standard readers will not pull such codes.

As for the cruse system, if a M6 car, the top clutch pedal switch plays a major role in the system. Hence if you removed the clutch assist spring or it broke, the peddle may not be keeping the top switch pressed in/ the pedal coming all the way back up, and why the system will not engage. Hence when you first start to push the clutch pedal down, it removes the pressure from the top pedal switch to disengage the cruse control system.

So on a M6, you have the bottom clutch pedal switch to start the car, then the top pedal switch for the items like the cruse control system as well.
To note, on the base M6, if you come off the gas, the RPM's tend to hold for a micro second before they begin to drop as part of the ECM programing. If you touch the clutch pedal to depress the top switch, it will allow the RPMs to drop at a normal rate without that brief RPM hold isntead.

Also, with a tech II on the car, you can check the turn signal stalk to see if the problem is there a well.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

The battery disconnect remedy worked on my 07 as well.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:32 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

My cruise didn't work, brand new car, after taking museum delivery many years ago. On the drive home I stopped at a dealer.

It had a code...P0751...they cleaned the shift solenoid valve, a Tech2 procedure i believe.
The following users liked this post:
yellow2007 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 10:10 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

I was kind of hoping it wasn't that but if it is then replacement will be in order. Thanks
The cruise would cut out on my '07 Colorado every time I used the turn signals. It was diagnosed as the multi-function switch. I bought one but never got around to installing it. A few months later the battery died and, after replacing the battery, the cruise worked and has worked perfectly to this day. Coincidence? There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is know to man. It is called the Twilight Zone...
I still have the brand new multi-function switch. If an '07 Colorado fits an '07 Corvette it is yours for the shipping.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:58 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Just got in from work and disconnected the battery. I'm going to try that first. If not and thanks to 4SUMERZ I now have the wiring schematic for the cruise control circuit and will dig deeper on Saturday. I will update when it is resolved. Anybody know how long to leave the batter disconnected?
Old 07-10-2018, 07:06 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Is the cruise control not turning on at all? Or is it engaging then disengaging?

Mine used to engage and disengage. Then I noticed my brake lights were lighting up even when I was off the pedal. I relearned the brake pedal switch with my Tech 2 and it resolved it.

​​​

Get notified of new replies

To Cruise control just quit

Old 07-10-2018, 07:21 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by doomi
Is the cruise control not turning on at all? Or is it engaging then disengaging?

Mine used to engage and disengage. Then I noticed my brake lights were lighting up even when I was off the pedal. I relearned the brake pedal switch with my Tech 2 and it resolved it.

​​​
Not coming on at all. The brake pedal switch is something else I plan on checking saturday. I did just install new mats fro Loyds so maybe it knocked the switch loose. No telling. Relearn the switch? Sounds interesting but I don't own a tech 2 reader.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:14 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Not coming on at all. The brake pedal switch is something else I plan on checking saturday. I did just install new mats fro Loyds so maybe it knocked the switch loose. No telling. Relearn the switch? Sounds interesting but I don't own a tech 2 reader.
Its been a while so I can't remember the exact sequence or naming. But it was relearning the brake position sensor or something along those lines.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:23 PM
vezePilot
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

A bit of a chore to have to wade through all of these posts, looking for someone to suggest using Dielectric grease on the connector. Find the electrical connector for the CC Stalk function, disconnect it, clean and apply Di-e grease to all of the connector tabs. Then reconnect the cable. Dano523 taught me this as the start of solving ANY electrical problem.

There is a connector for this somewhere ... isn't there?

(No offense Dan ... I'm ... uh ... kinda surprised you didn't add this in your post. Oh, I know! ... it's a test, isn't it? )

Last edited by vezePilot; 07-10-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Cruise control just quit