C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

- C6 - Official A6 (Auto) Thread - Temps / Shifting / ETC

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 02:04 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Cockroach
No extended warranty, no worries. Tunes can be pulled and the oem re installed in minutes with no trace.
The number of times the programming has been accessed/modified is recorded by the computer. If that doesn't match GM's number, it's obvious someone else has done something. Deceiving a warranty company to get repairs done that were clearly your fault, is the same as theft. It speaks loudly about your character.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:15 AM
Cockroach
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 97 Posts

Deceiving a warranty company to get repairs done that were clearly your fault, is the same as theft. It speaks loudly about your character.[/QUOTE]

What part of no warranty don't you comprehend? Get off your soap box a-hole!
Old 07-24-2018, 01:10 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Deceiving a warranty company to get repairs done that were clearly your fault, is the same as theft. It speaks loudly about your character.
What part of no warranty don't you comprehend? Get off your soap box a-hole![/QUOTE]

It was not pointed at you personally, but I did use your comment where you mentioned the ability to deceive, so if the shoe fits......
Old 07-24-2018, 01:24 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
With the '06, that's the only method with the stock tune. If you have a GM dealer there, you might be able to talk them into downloading the trans tune for a '13 into your '06. Lots of improvements, including how the paddles function.
Could you clarify what you meant by "...might be able to talk them into downloading..." (will this be a battle?) -- and -- "...lots of improvements..." (could you list some?).

I have an '07 AT6 and not real happy with some "surging" between 2nd-to-3rd gear up-shifts (in Auto mode) when at slower speeds -- and when in "S" mode, the .5-to-.75 sec lag for shifts when using the "paddles."

Thx!
Old 07-24-2018, 01:28 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

I would say we are getting a little off topic, here.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:06 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Hey guys,

I've tried looking for threads to research info about specifically C6 A6 cars, but not much luck. Recently bought 2008 A6. Although it's a good set-up, I have some notions about it. First, I think Corvettes are generally very sensitive to temps. Temps go up easily and are usually on the higher side, that why a lot of people are always looking for ways to improve its cooling (ex: bigger radiators, tranny coolers, adding water wetter to the radiator, 160* stats, tuning fans, etc..etc).
1) My last C5 was an A4; I had added Transgo Shift kit to it, which made it shift firmer and also added a B&M Tranny cooler to maintain lower temps by 10* or so. My 2008 A6 tranny can run 210* on a decently warm day (73* outside) on the freeway. What are you doing to keep the A6 Temps down?
2) Are you using the "D" (drive) or "S" (sport) shift for your normal driving? I don't feel much (if any) in the 2 modes. What differences you've observed?
3) How often do you use paddle shifting? What are your temps/experiences with it?
4) Any Tranny mods, like a tranny cooler, shift kit, etc?
Please feel free to add any relevant info about your A6.
Thanks
The A6 does not run unusually hot. I live in Vegas, and even in the Summer, 115 degrees, stop and go on the freeway, it gets pretty warm but not dangerously hot. The A6 does not need/require an auxiliary cooler, unless you will track the car. The paddle shift is for fun, only...the trans shifts faster on it's own. I was told long ago that even the '08 would shift quicker in "S" mode, but my '08 never seemed to do it. However, my '12 sure as hell bang-shifts in "S" mode if under WOT. Driving it in "S" mode does not make it run hotter, unless you are abusing it.

Your temp seems a bit high, but we don't know if you are doing something to it that is taxing it, like not letting it shift into the best gear it needs by itself...
You might need to get your trans fluid changed. I recall when you brought it home, but cannot remember the miles on the car.

I would not be too worried, and just get the fluid changed. Let us know how it runs after that, okay? Good luck.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:39 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by farmington
If you are using a hand held tuner. If someone tunes it for you they could switch it back if they saved the original tune.
Both answers regarding ways to hide a tune are incorrect. The ECM records any/all changes made to the factory tune. I got this info from a very respected 'Vette tuner. He wanted to be honest, and I appreciated it. Yes, adding a tune will void a warranty, unless the dealer is willing to look past it, which some are. You might talk to your local service writer to see what his take is before you do any tune.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:42 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Deceiving a warranty company to get repairs done that were clearly your fault, is the same as theft. It speaks loudly about your character.
What part of no warranty don't you comprehend? Get off your soap box a-hole![/QUOTE]

Did you not consider he might be answering a question for someone else? You need to back off the harsh language if there is a chance at all that someone might not be addressing you, personally.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 07-24-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:39 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by OlyC6
Could you clarify what you meant by "...might be able to talk them into downloading..." (will this be a battle?) -- and -- "...lots of improvements..." (could you list some?).

I have an '07 AT6 and not real happy with some "surging" between 2nd-to-3rd gear up-shifts (in Auto mode) when at slower speeds -- and when in "S" mode, the .5-to-.75 sec lag for shifts when using the "paddles."

Thx!
Not all dealers are receptive to changing the transmission tune to a later version, but some are. The more pleasant your conversation and relationship, the more likely to get a free update. You can get an update through HP Tuners, if you have a friend who has the program or for a license fee from a local tuner and some change for his service. I don't know all the changes, but it appears that GM made a lot between your '07 and the '13's. Just the paddle shifting time is worth the switch. The ability to switch in and out of paddle mode without moving the shift lever is another. HP Tuners opens up a lot more doors for changes, but you have to pay more too. My stock tune went away more than 10 years ago and I've modified it many times since then.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:03 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

I had opportunities to make some notes about my trans temps in the last two days. First I want to point out, I have a Vararam which partially blocks direct air flow to the condenser/radiator. I also have my fan programmed to start at 192* and be at 90% by 203*. I have a 20K BTU trans cooler that bypasses the radiator, although due to the size, I suspect it's closer to 10K. And I'm running a 4000 Yank converter.

Yesterday I took a 40 mile round trip that included an 11 mile stretch of 75 MPH freeway in each direction and ended with 13 miles on city streets. Outside air temp was 114* read on the car. While on the freeway the first 11 miles, coolant was 185 and trans was 165. then with 5 miles on city streets before the freeway again, the coolant went up to 215 and the trans up to 203. After the second 11 mile freeway, the coolant dropped back to 190, but the trans only dropped to 199. Getting back to the last 13 miles, coolant got up to 219 and the trans hit it's peak at 225 and dropped to 219 at the end.

Today on a short 5 mile trip to lunch and a 2 hour cool down (?) in the hot 116* non-shaded parking lot, I made a 7 mile return home that included 2 stops of about 1 minute each. (engine off) I maxed out at 243* for oil, 235* for trans, and 225* for coolant.

That's obviously hotter weather than almost anyplace else and I have several other adverse conditions working against me. But it does show a significant difference between open road with good airflow and locked converter vs stop and go low speed traffic and rarely locked converter. It also shows that once hot, it's really hard to cool back down. The trans cooled more during lunch than the engine.

With 153K miles on the car, I've learned not to panic about the occasional high temps.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:50 AM
Cockroach
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
What part of no warranty don't you comprehend? Get off your soap box a-hole!

Did you not consider he might be answering a question for someone else? You need to back off the harsh language if there is a chance at all that someone might not be addressing you, personally.[/QUOTE]

Sir,
When someone posts a complete quote I do assume they are directly speaking about me and what I said. To be clear, my Vette is 10+ years old and any warranty is long gone so hence no worries about defrauding anyone. When I feel someone is taking a swing at my honesty I swing back so no apology is coming. I do acknowledge I stand corrected on there not being a trace of possible tampering in the computer. I don't hold grudges or have keyboard muscles so I hope we all can move forward and help each other as needed.

Last edited by Cockroach; 07-25-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:45 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I had opportunities to make some notes about my trans temps in the last two days. First I want to point out, I have a Vararam which partially blocks direct air flow to the condenser/radiator. I also have my fan programmed to start at 192* and be at 90% by 203*. I have a 20K BTU trans cooler that bypasses the radiator, although due to the size, I suspect it's closer to 10K. And I'm running a 4000 Yank converter.

Yesterday I took a 40 mile round trip that included an 11 mile stretch of 75 MPH freeway in each direction and ended with 13 miles on city streets. Outside air temp was 114* read on the car. While on the freeway the first 11 miles, coolant was 185 and trans was 165. then with 5 miles on city streets before the freeway again, the coolant went up to 215 and the trans up to 203. After the second 11 mile freeway, the coolant dropped back to 190, but the trans only dropped to 199. Getting back to the last 13 miles, coolant got up to 219 and the trans hit it's peak at 225 and dropped to 219 at the end.

Today on a short 5 mile trip to lunch and a 2 hour cool down (?) in the hot 116* non-shaded parking lot, I made a 7 mile return home that included 2 stops of about 1 minute each. (engine off) I maxed out at 243* for oil, 235* for trans, and 225* for coolant.

That's obviously hotter weather than almost anyplace else and I have several other adverse conditions working against me. But it does show a significant difference between open road with good airflow and locked converter vs stop and go low speed traffic and rarely locked converter. It also shows that once hot, it's really hard to cool back down. The trans cooled more during lunch than the engine.

With 153K miles on the car, I've learned not to panic about the occasional high temps.

Great Info and temps comparison.

Questions - What tranny cooler are you using (make & part no.?) What's the benefit of "bypassing" the radiator, VS installing a tranny cooler in series with the radiator?

Quick Reply: - C6 - Official A6 (Auto) Thread - Temps / Shifting / ETC