C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a newer year service manual a reasonable buy for a previous year?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 08:52 PM
OregonMike
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Is a newer year service manual a reasonable buy for a previous year?

I have an 05. If I bought an 06 or 07 set of factory service manuals I would expect the newer model to cover my year plus any improvements.

Is that reasonable to expect, or do I really need only a 2005 service manual set?

Old 07-15-2018, 09:10 PM
Yokesc5
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Always good to have the proper manual. Bought a haynes for my truck, no wiring dia, called them up n sent pdfs, 6 out of the 22 connecter still no ID yet, will have to do the elimniation process upon engine install, bought it without an engine.
Buy the right manual, Ive seen the 2007 is much cheaper from zip but?
The following users liked this post:
OregonMike (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 09:33 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonMike
I have an 05. If I bought an 06 or 07 set of factory service manuals I would expect the newer model to cover my year plus any improvements.

Is that reasonable to expect, or do I really need only a 2005 service manual set?
There are I believe a number of 2005-only electrical details, as well as the obvious stuff like the steering column lock and automatic gearbox that weren't present on any other year C6. Get the 2005 manual set.
OregonMike (07-15-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 08:40 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonMike

there are to many specific 05 model year only differences that you should have the correct year manuals.
OregonMike (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 08:47 AM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...anual&_sacat=0
Old 08-20-2018, 06:22 PM
VenomousDuck
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I bought the Helm 09 manual for my 2009 base & I’m annoyed.
Basically the things I read in the manual are close, but not accurate.
For instance, it says that you can get to the rear side marker bulbs through the trunk, but that’s impossible, you have to go through the taillights. (VOL 1 p. 4-164 (for me))
The very next thing I look up is a bulb for the trunk and guess what, it’s not the same rigid loop style bulb I have in my trunk. (VOL 1 p. 4-168)
I looked up the connector end view for the front turn signal and the book says it’s a 2 wire while the DIY video I find online clearly shows it’s a 3wire. (VOL 3 11-389)
So are you guys seeing the same thing in the manual for different years?
I would like to know if GM actually changed these things at some point and they are simply not reflected in my book or if they are wrong in EVERY book.
If I can’t trust the book to give me good information for the small things, I’m pretty concerned about what that might mean for more critical specs like the tolerances on engine components.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:50 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by VenomousDuck
So I bought the Helm 09 manual for my 2009 base & I’m annoyed.
Basically the things I read in the manual are close, but not accurate.
For instance, it says that you can get to the rear side marker bulbs through the trunk, but that’s impossible, you have to go through the taillights. (VOL 1 p. 4-164 (for me))
The very next thing I look up is a bulb for the trunk and guess what, it’s not the same rigid loop style bulb I have in my trunk. (VOL 1 p. 4-168)
I looked up the connector end view for the front turn signal and the book says it’s a 2 wire while the DIY video I find online clearly shows it’s a 3wire. (VOL 3 11-389)
So are you guys seeing the same thing in the manual for different years?
I would like to know if GM actually changed these things at some point and they are simply not reflected in my book or if they are wrong in EVERY book.
If I can’t trust the book to give me good information for the small things, I’m pretty concerned about what that might mean for more critical specs like the tolerances on engine components.
My 2006 manual is full of little screw-ups and omissions. The manual steering column trim disassembly instructions must be for an '05. The index is completely crazy. Half the DTCs are just arbitrarily missing, for example. But in spite of all that, it's still a lot better than nothing, and most of the schematics appear to be correct.

Get notified of new replies

To Is a newer year service manual a reasonable buy for a previous year?

Quick Reply: Is a newer year service manual a reasonable buy for a previous year?