C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel injection service

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 02:14 PM
jay c smith
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default fuel injection service

I have a 2008 base convertible automatic with 11,500 miles. I have never had a fuel injector service done on it. Is this something I can do
myself or should I take it to a dealer. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:22 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I had the dealer do the upper intake cleaning and fuel injector service on my 2010 Grand Sport. Some people swear by Techron, I never tried it.
The following users liked this post:
jay c smith (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 03:30 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Dump a 20 oz. bottle of Techron in the tank next time you're near empty, and fill it up. It'll do everything you need, especially with the low miles you have.
jay c smith (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 03:37 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Why are you asking---is there something wrong with your car, i.e., down on power, hesitating, stumbles, recent decline in mpg, etc.? If not, if it's just something the dealer mentioned "would be good for your car" do what's been recommended above. Just remember that when you go to buy the Techron, Chevron sells two different fluids in a black bottle: fuel INJECTOR CLEANER, and fuel SYSTEM CLEANER. If you ask me, you want the latter and either two 10 oz. bottles (for a 17 gal. tank) or one 20 oz. bottle.
jay c smith (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 05:01 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

fuel injector service service is kind a thing of the past for the most part.

It was more around the time that some car where still running carb, while others where fuel injected, and lets face, the fuels of the time were nothing like todays fuels will cleaners in them (really low quality fuels). Also to point out, top tier fuels do have cleaning in them like techron as well.

So unless your running low grade fuel, or some other crap fuel that is going to clog or gum up your injectors, just run top tier fuels to start with, or at least a bottle of tech II every few tank fulls isntead.

Now lets go back to intake manifold cleaning, and since the injectors are located at the end of the runners just before the heads, using injector cleaner through the fuel line is not going to touch the intake manifold.
Hence todays motors have PCV system to them, which means that the fumes from the oil are dumped into the intake manifold, and burned up in the cyclinders. So this means that the inside of the intake manifold can build up with a oil depost, and the only way to get such out, it to introduce a cleaner through the TB instead. The downside to this, the solvent will break up the oil in the Intake manifold, to dump such to the cylinders, which just really carbonizes the top of the pistons isntead.

So to do a intake manifold cleaning the correct way, it really needs to be pulled out off the motor so your not dumping all the crap to the cylinders.

Also to back it up, it was about the same time of fuel injection and carbs time, that the engines did not run injectors in the sense today with a injector per cylinder/located at the head, but Throttle body type injectors systems that just has a few injectors as part of the carb. So with system like this, since the injectors will be spraying into the entire intake manifold, then fluid type injector cleaners worked to clean the both the injectors and intake manifold at the same time.

So really, when we talk of injector cleaning, we are really taking about pulling the injectors to ultra sonic clean then in a cleaning fluid to start with, followed by bench flow test as well to make sure that they are balanced in there flow rates since each cylinder will have it own injector.

So to sum it up, short of a car sitting for years that the fuel may have dried to lacquer up in the injector, the whole solvent cleaning ejectors while still in the motor is really a waste, since the current top tier fuels already have enough cleaning agents in them to keep the injectors clean to start with.

Flow testing injectors,

Last edited by Dano523; 08-07-2018 at 05:04 PM.
jay c smith (08-07-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To fuel injection service

Quick Reply: fuel injection service