C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to program BCM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:38 PM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default How to program BCM?

Anyone know how to program a brand new BCM?

also what needs to be programmed,

i'm assuming key fob and maybe tpms but what else?

--- Solution

All RPO Codes need to be set, or come on and need to be individually selected based on the vehicles options including but not limited to
ONSTAR
Real Time Damping (Magnetic suspension option)
Rear Fog Lights (Euro models)

Also brake position sensor needs to be programmed.

Idiot at the dealer didn't go in and set any of them, it was programmed with them automatically on, and the car is searching for **** it doesn't have causing massive problems.

Advice, don't go to the dealer, find someone who has a Tech 2 unit who does these jobs, and go to them, they will know more than the dealer and will be cheaper. My mistake is your gain.

Last edited by nick14003; 08-21-2018 at 10:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nick14003:
1320#me (08-22-2022), C3Angel (08-24-2022)
Old 08-07-2018, 07:42 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I used a Tech 2 to program my new BCM.
Do you have access to a Tech 2?

Last edited by Coupe89; 08-07-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,006 Likes on 2,169 Posts

SPS to firmware flash, which will marry the BCM to the rest of the modules as well so they are all hand shaking with the same security code .

If you have a Tech II, then you can use Tis2000 with GM subscription set up on a laptop (with the tech II connected to the laptop)..
If you have a MDI, then you use TDS SPS instead. With TDS, you can get a SPS subscription for one car for $40 for 2 years, to firmware flash all the modules in it as needed. Note, you can use a Tech II set in pass through mode with TDS sps as well. It's just that a MDI will not work with TIS2000 isntead.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome
And again, will need a tech II or MDI to connect to the car to firmware flash via SPS.

As for once the BCM is SPS firmware flashed to your cars vin number, it will RPO code it correctly, or you can go back into BCM set up with a Tech II to change some of the RPO's isntead.

As for the fob and TPMS, they are programmed into the RCDLR (not the BCM), so when the BCM is firmware flashed via SPS, it will marry with the RCDLR in the car.

So lets back this up, since if you are having problem with the RCDLR, the BCM may be fine instead.
Hence why are you replacing the BCM, and to take it one step farther, did you pull the BCM board to check for cold solder joint problems? If if the problem is the BCM, and just a cold solder joint problem that re-solding the joints will solve the problem, then the BCM does not need to be flashed, since it already firmware married to the car in the first place.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-08-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:18 AM
nick14003
Pro

Originally Posted by Dano523
SPS to firmware flash, which will marry the BCM to the rest of the modules as well so they are all hand shaking with the same security code .

If you have a Tech II, then you can use Tis2000 with GM subscription set up on a laptop (with the tech II connected to the laptop)..
If you have a MDI, then you use TDS SPS instead. With TDS, you can get a SPS subscription for one car for $40 for 2 years, to firmware flash all the modules in it as needed. Note, you can use a Tech II set in pass through mode with TDS sps as well. It's just that a MDI will not work with TIS2000 isntead.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome
And again, will need a tech II or MDI to connect to the car to firmware flash via SPS.

As for once the BCM is SPS firmware flashed to your cars vin number, it will RPO code it correctly, or you can go back into BCM set up with a Tech II to change some of the RPO's isntead.

As for the fob and TPMS, they are programmed into the RCDLR (not the BCM), so when the BCM is firmware flashed via SPS, it will marry with the RCDLR in the car.

So lets back this up, since if you are having problem with the RCDLR, the BCM may be fine instead.
Hence why are you replacing the BCM, and to take it one step farther, did you pull the BCM board to check for cold solder joint problems? If if the problem is the BCM, and just a cold solder joint problem that re-solding the joints will solve the problem, then the BCM does not need to be flashed, since it already firmware married to the car in the first place.

Thank you very much, very valuable information. I hope you could advise me on something else, my BCM got water in it a while back that's why I was sure it had to be the BCM going bad. I had a new one installed and programmed by the dealer and it fixed some issues, the car seems to drive normal now except for 2 issues. 1 The brake pedal position sensor is sensing the brake being pressed way too low, i.e. the brake light turns on when i'm already half way down the brake pedal and probably already at a complete stop. How does one reprogram the position of it? Is it something the dealer did and just picked a horrible spot for it, or did it just go default to that spot when the BCM was changed.

The second issue is Code U2112 Lost com with Electronic Suspension Control Module, the gauge screen says Service Ride Control and Max Speed 80MPH. Maybe when they pulled it they pulled a sensor on the control arms or something? I honestly have no clue about this one. Is there even a Suspension Control Module on a base c6 without magnetic suspension, if so where Is it located?
Old 08-10-2018, 07:02 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Your first problem with the brake lights, is that the car need to have a brake pedal position relearn completed, which takes a Tech II to do this.

The second problem with the U code on the F55 module, is a problem between the F55 module and the BCM on the GM land bus.
U2112 Lost Communications With Electronic Suspension Control Module (ESC)

If your not losing communication with the ECBM or ECM downline of the BCM, then the problem is not in the GM lan bus or its connectors to the F55 module since this would break the connector to the modules down line of the F55 module, but a problem in the F55 module isntead. If you have problems with the F55 module sensors like the ride height sensors, or shock/ their connectors down line of the F55 module, then you would get DTC's pointing to them isntead (C codes).

So either the F55 module is having problems itself, or could be just a problem with its power or ground point wires isntead.
Again, GM lan bus loops through the F55 module and if there was a problem with the GM land bus wires at the F55 module connectors, you would have U code problems for the other module down line of the F55 module as well.

The F55/ECS module is located in the passanger front fender well above the ECM.
#5 C168 connector,

(1) A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor
(2) Hood Ajar Switch
(3) C166
(4) C186
(5) C168 (F55)
(6) Windshield Washer Fluid Level Switch
(7) Windshield Washer Fluid Pump
(8) Headlamp Washer Fluid Pump (CE4)
(9) S101
(10) S103

And you can get to it by going through the back of front tire passenger wheel well, without having to remove the fender.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-10-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:18 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Just to add, may sure that you have magnetic ride control in the car to start with.

Hence when the BCM was flashed, someone could have turned on F55 in the BCM RPO programming, the car does not have F55, the F55 connector module connector just jumped through on the connector, and why it not showing up instead.

The quick way to check is to just look at the top of the front shock next to the engine fuse box, and make sure it has a connector connected to it.

In this photo, we can see the top of shock does not have a connector on it, so this could be that the car may have started out with F55 and MRC shocks, the shocks swapped out with none MRC shock, and the F55 module disconnected from the system, it programmed out of the BCM, and the Non F55 jumper connector put on the end of connector isntead.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Dano523
Race Director

To add, listing your location would help, since may be someone close to with a Tech II to make short work out of the problems.

I'm in the Denver area if you are local to me.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:09 PM
nick14003
Pro

To add, listing your location would help, since may be someone close to with a Tech II to make short work out of the problems.

I'm in the Denver area if you are local to me.
Thank you very much, I called back and complained to the dealer, at first they told me it was my cars fault, but then they let me come back for free. I had the guy program the brake pedal position sensor while I watched, it did the same thing... I had to ask that I be the one to press the brake pedal when programming which he allowed, I lightly pressed it and it was good to go! Finally one problem fixed that wasn't even there to begin with...

Now, the other issue, I know my car doesn't have magnetic ride control, no **** on the center console, no wires on the shocks/struts. Do non f55 c6's still have an ESC module? I asked how he programmed it, he said it was automatic ID which means he didn't select anything and it went by the VIN, I highly doubt someone removed f55 suspension the whole system from this car. So what could be the problem? I was told it might be the EBCM unit, the last thing I want to do now is change that and have the dealer program it for another $600 in the hopes it will fix it, any ideas on where I should start? I also checked battery voltage since a lot of people say that could be it, my battery is doing great 14 volts doesn't seem problematic.

Is Service Ride Control message Solely for F55 Systems? Or does a non f55 system have some sensors or something that could cause this message?

I also got another code which is weird B2540 Rear Fog Lamps Control Circuit Short to Ground or Open,
do corvettes even have rear fog lights, i'm so confused.

Also i'm located in Los Angeles, otherwise you'd probably be the first person I'd go to.

Last edited by nick14003; 08-10-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:33 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Need to make one more trip back to dealer, and save the below link to your phone to show him what he needs to do with the Tech II.

Hence he needs to go to BCM setup with the Tech II, make sure that USA is selected to the country to begin with, then go into the RPO's on the next screen to make sure that real time dampening and rear fob lights does not have an asterisks in front of it, then hit save.
Hence without the F55 module in the car, and real time dampening RPO selected, the BCM will be looking for a module that is not in the car since there is the OEM jumper on the F55 module so it has communication down line to the rest of the modules.
Same with rear fog light RPO selected, since going to be a problem without the export rear wiring harness in play.

Skip to 2:40.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-11-2018 at 01:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Porxter (08-22-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 01:00 PM
Dano523
Race Director

To add, this brings up another point, and would wise to have your car vin numbers checked, to make sure you don't have a stolen car that someone swapped the vin sticker on to sell the car on a non stolen wreck cars's clean title isntead..

Hence if he was dam sure that the Vin number for the firmware flash in SPS programming came up with matched the Vin on the car dash, and SPS did not flash the correct RPO options in from the start with the firmware flash, then something is very, very wrong.

Hence either did not check the Vin number that came up in SPS programming against the car before the firmware flash (pulled the vin stored in the ECM that may be out of another car that was not flashed to your vin number and came up with the incorrect vin number), and the wrong vin firmware was flashed into the car,

Or the car has the wrong vin number on it, and why it did not flash the BCM's RPO correctly.

So on that note, have him do a quick SPS vin check again with the Tech II or MDI tool, and make sure that the Vin number that SPS comes up with on the inital scan, does match the Vin on the car.

If the wrong vin number comes up in SPS programming, then he will need to correct the Vin number in SPS to the cars actual vin, and both the ECM and BCM will need to re flashes so they have the correct firmware and vin numbers. Hence on a BCM replacement, SPS will pull the vin number from the ECM since it stored there as well.

If the correct vin number does come up in SPS that matches the vin on the dash, but the BCM Firmware is programming the wrong RPO's into the car, then trust me, that vin label on the car is not the correct vin for the car, and bank that either you have a salvage title rebuild from a couple of different cars, or the car is a stolen car with Vin dash swap so is matches a non stolen car title instead.

Also, the Vin is on more than the dash label alone, and it really easy for someone that knows where to look to check the motor, frame, and a few other placed on the car to confirm that the vin numbers all match on the car since it very hard to change all the vin numbers without molesting them; and not a stolen car that someone vin change it to another car's vin that has a clean title to sell it that way instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-11-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:25 PM
nick14003
Pro

To add, this brings up another point, and would wise to have your car vin numbers checked, to make sure you don't have a stolen car that someone swapped the vin sticker on to sell the car on a non stolen wreck cars's clean title isntead..

Hence if he was dam sure that the Vin number for the firmware flash in SPS programming came up with matched the Vin on the car dash, and SPS did not flash the correct RPO options in from the start with the firmware flash, then something is very, very wrong.

Hence either did not check the Vin number that came up in SPS programming against the car before the firmware flash (pulled the vin stored in the ECM that may be out of another car that was not flashed to your vin number and came up with the incorrect vin number), and the wrong vin firmware was flashed into the car,

Or the car has the wrong vin number on it, and why it did not flash the BCM's RPO correctly.

So on that note, have him do a quick SPS vin check again with the Tech II or MDI tool, and make sure that the Vin number that SPS comes up with on the inital scan, does match the Vin on the car.

If the wrong vin number comes up in SPS programming, then he will need to correct the Vin number in SPS to the cars actual vin, and both the ECM and BCM will need to re flashes so they have the correct firmware and vin numbers. Hence on a BCM replacement, SPS will pull the vin number from the ECM since it stored there as well.

If the correct vin number does come up in SPS that matches the vin on the dash, but the BCM Firmware is programming the wrong RPO's into the car, then trust me, that vin label on the car is not the correct vin for the car, and bank that either you have a salvage title rebuild from a couple of different cars, or the car is a stolen car with Vin dash swap so is matches a non stolen car title instead.

Also, the Vin is on more than the dash label alone, and it really easy for someone that knows where to look to check the motor, frame, and a few other placed on the car to confirm that the vin numbers all match on the car since it very hard to change all the vin numbers without molesting them; and not a stolen car that someone vin change it to another car's vin that has a clean title to sell it that way instead.
FML... time to call the dealer... again, and convince them to look at my car again and try to not pay anything more...
Old 08-13-2018, 04:26 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Good ideal, since if you do a GM Vin # search, it will pull up all the RPO's that the car left the factory. Hence should match the glove box label, and if F55 is not listed in the RPO list, then the correct Vin for the SPS firmware flash should not be turning on either F55 or rear fog lights in the BCM.

The F55 being turned via the vin firmware in the BCM is bad enough, but the rear fog light being turned on as well in the BCM during the flash, is screaming that the vin is from an export car as well.

Granted that I will go into a BCM after a firmware flash to check the RPO options in the BCM to make sure they are correctly selected or not, but that is just a second check really, and not needed if the Vin is the actual vin for the car. Hence a quick check before the flash of the SPS vin its listing to make it grabbing the correct firmware file, to make sure it matching the car being flashed, should end up with the BCM and it correct RPO options selected during the firmware flash in the first place.

So again, either wrong vin # came up in the SPS program to begin/not checked against the cars vin label in the dash with so the wrong firmware file was downloaded and flashed, or the vin label on the dash, is not the correct vin for the car and why it turning on RPO options in the BCM that are not for that car instead.

And again, it not hard for SPS to come up with the wrong vin number on a BCM replacement, since the vin is stored in both BCM and ECM, and someone could have screwed up the vin number in the ECM with a tune, or ecm is not the one that came with the car and Vin # correctly to the car, then the Vin number that SPS pulls from the ECM (since the BCM has not been flashed yet to store the correct vin #) will be the wrong one. Hence this is the reason that you really need to check the vin number that SPS comes up with, to make sure is actual matches the car. If is does not, then you change the Vin number in SPS, hit return, and it will pull up and down load the correct Firmware file isntead.

When the dealer figures out the problem, let us know.
With any luck, just a lazy tech that did not double check the vin number that SPS came up to begin with that was wrong, did not correct the Vin number, then reflashed the BCM and ECM so they are storing the correct vin numbers and correct RPO options. Hence tech doing the programming with the tech II problem, and not you sitting on a stolen car that had a Vin# switch to sell the car as another one with a clean title isntead.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-13-2018 at 04:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dano523:
nick14003 (08-21-2018), Porxter (08-22-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 04:38 AM
nick14003
Pro

Good ideal, since if you do a GM Vin # search, it will pull up all the RPO's that the car left the factory. Hence should match the glove box label, and if F55 is not listed in the RPO list, then the correct Vin for the SPS firmware flash should not be turning on either F55 or rear fog lights in the BCM.

The F55 being turned via the vin firmware in the BCM is bad enough, but the rear fog light being turned on as well in the BCM during the flash, is screaming that the vin is from an export car as well.

Granted that I will go into a BCM after a firmware flash to check the RPO options in the BCM to make sure they are correctly selected or not, but that is just a second check really, and not needed if the Vin is the actual vin for the car. Hence a quick check before the flash of the SPS vin its listing to make it grabbing the correct firmware file, to make sure it matching the car being flashed, should end up with the BCM and it correct RPO options selected during the firmware flash in the first place.

So again, either wrong vin # came up in the SPS program to begin/not checked against the cars vin label in the dash with so the wrong firmware file was downloaded and flashed, or the vin label on the dash, is not the correct vin for the car and why it turning on RPO options in the BCM that are not for that car instead.

And again, it not hard for SPS to come up with the wrong vin number on a BCM replacement, since the vin is stored in both BCM and ECM, and someone could have screwed up the vin number in the ECM with a tune, or ecm is not the one that came with the car and Vin # correctly to the car, then the Vin number that SPS pulls from the ECM (since the BCM has not been flashed yet to store the correct vin #) will be the wrong one. Hence this is the reason that you really need to check the vin number that SPS comes up with, to make sure is actual matches the car. If is does not, then you change the Vin number in SPS, hit return, and it will pull up and down load the correct Firmware file isntead.

With any luck, just a lazy tech that did not double check the vin number that SPS came up to begin with that was wrong, did not correct the Vin number, then reflashed the BCM and ECM so they are storing the correct vin numbers and correct RPO options. Hence tech doing the programming with the tech II problem, and not you sitting on a stolen car that had a Vin# switch to sell the car as another one with a clean title isntead.
If it is stolen, would I even want to move forward with this? I've had the car for a few years no issues, plausible deniability. Maybe I should just buy my own Tech 2 and subscription. Lol
Old 08-21-2018, 10:10 AM
nick14003
Pro

Went back got it fixed...
had to go back 3 times... First guy didn't set the RPO codes, got a new guy to look at it, i had to walk him through the steps based on the video to get him to the right page, and all the options were on... shut them off, all the stupid warning lights stopped and the car was FIXED! no codes, no dash annoyances, my entire life i've avoided going to the dealer... this was the first time... my hate for the dealer is true...

Thanks for all of your help.
The following 2 users liked this post by nick14003:
BADBOYINDC (11-30-2023), cadbob (08-22-2022)
Old 08-21-2018, 06:44 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Got to love it when you have to walk a GM technician through on how to use a Tech II tool in the first place.

Guessing the vin checked out fine and the car is not stolen, and the problem was the tech doing the initial BCM flash in the first place activated all the RPO's blindly on the RPO check after the firmware flash .

Hence vin number firmware should active only the RPO's for that vin number, but after the firmware flash, you do back into BCM set up to confirm that the correct country was selected in the first place, as well as only the RPO's for the cars actual options have been selected as well.

As for all off, guessing that you only deactivated the options not in the car, and left the options in the car activated still. Hence if you have Hud in the car, and turn it off in the BCM, Hud is not going to work.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-21-2018 at 06:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dano523:
cadbob (08-22-2022), Porxter (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 07:26 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Amazing thread.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:58 PM
nick14003
Pro

Got to love it when you have to walk a GM technician through on how to use a Tech II tool in the first place.

Guessing the vin checked out fine and the car is not stolen, and the problem was the tech doing the initial BCM flash in the first place activated all the RPO's blindly on the RPO check after the firmware flash .

Hence vin number firmware should active only the RPO's for that vin number, but after the firmware flash, you do back into BCM set up to confirm that the correct country was selected in the first place, as well as only the RPO's for the cars actual options have been selected as well.

As for all off, guessing that you only deactivated the options not in the car, and left the options in the car activated still. Hence if you have Hud in the car, and turn it off in the BCM, Hud is not going to work.

Yes exactly, and I meant I turned off the options I don't have. Although the only option I didn't know what it was is Overspeed Chime which I left on, what is it? It seems like it's a speed warning when you pass a certain speed? if so at what speed does it activate? I've driven 85 already with no warning, does it affect performance or just a single chime because I go up to 120 at the drag strip.

Get notified of new replies

To How to program BCM?

Old 08-21-2018, 09:14 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Its a USA driven vet, so turn off over speed chime.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:23 PM
nick14003
Pro

Its a USA driven vet, so turn off over speed chime.
no way in hell am I going back to the dealer. I'm just tired... lol. But from what I can see it should be around 165mph which I will never reach so If thats true I don't even care. Other posts say 120kph but i've gotten to 85mph with nothing so i'm guessing its either 165mph or it shuts off when display is in mph mode. Either way, not wasting my time to turn it off.

Thanks for all of your help, it's funny how the dealers don't know **** about their own vehicles...

Last edited by nick14003; 08-22-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:43 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by nick14003

Thanks for all of your help, it's funny how the dealers don't know **** about their own vehicles...

Yes, no, maybe.

For a dealership to work on a ZR1, then have to send a tech for extra training, plus buy special tools as well. Same goes for some other models, like the GM electric case as well.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-process.html

The Vet is not like most of the other GM cars, so when searching for a dealer to work on your car, your looking for a dealer that has techs that are vet certified. Hell at such dealerships, the GM Vet techs only work on the Vets, and some dealers go as far as having a special area that only vets are worked on there alone as well.

So the problem is you may have gone to a dealer that is not corvette certified to start with (or at least the tech working on the car not corvette certified), and you pretty much end up with the outcome you did.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-22-2018 at 06:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cadbob (08-22-2022)

Quick Reply: How to program BCM?