C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran out of gas with 1/4 tank ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 06:23 PM
HammerheadTed
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Ran out of gas with 1/4 tank ???

Driving Home from a short trip and engine starts shaking and quits. Luckily I could get in the left turn lane of a moderately busy road. Tried several times to start it and it did act like it was out of gas. I usually wait till about 1/8 tank and then fill up and put some Techron in. Was loosely watching the gauge and had about 1/4 tank, which jived with the 275miles on the trip odometer. Called AAA and requested a tow since I did not think it was out of gas having ran the gauge much lower many times. While waiting for the tow I walked across the highway to a auto repair place and borrowed a couple gallons of gas. Tried the car again and it started right up. Filled up on the way home and the amount of gas I was able to put in indicated that I did have close to 1/4 tank left when it quit. Any ideas?
Old 08-21-2018, 06:24 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I would have swore this was posted in C5 General.....sounds like you have a bad sending unit like the old C5's.....BTDT.
The following users liked this post:
HammerheadTed (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 07:16 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
I would have swore this was posted in C5 General.....sounds like you have a bad sending unit like the old C5's.....BTDT.
This is exactly what my C5 did until I drowned the sending units in Techron over the course of six months.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:01 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerheadTed
Driving Home from a short trip and engine starts shaking and quits. Luckily I could get in the left turn lane of a moderately busy road. Tried several times to start it and it did act like it was out of gas. I usually wait till about 1/8 tank and then fill up and put some Techron in. Was loosely watching the gauge and had about 1/4 tank, which jived with the 275miles on the trip odometer. Called AAA and requested a tow since I did not think it was out of gas having ran the gauge much lower many times. While waiting for the tow I walked across the highway to a auto repair place and borrowed a couple gallons of gas. Tried the car again and it started right up. Filled up on the way home and the amount of gas I was able to put in indicated that I did have close to 1/4 tank left when it quit. Any ideas?
I'd guess a leaking/clogged jet pump in the right tank, or possibly a dirty fuel level sender.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:22 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Just curious what's the point of Techron and why would I need it?
Old 08-22-2018, 12:07 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
Just curious what's the point of Techron and why would I need it?
It's a fuel system cleaner. If the fuel level senders are coated in gunk, causing high resistance, sometimes it can help. The problem usually comes back.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:55 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Filled up on the way home and the amount of gas I was able to put in indicated that I did have close to 1/4 tank left when it quit. Any ideas?

C6 fuel pump goes all the way to the bottom of the tank, and would bank that the bottom of your drivers side fuel pump plastic pick up area is cracked and why it's not drawing fuel past the tank 1/4 low point isntead.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:51 AM
HammerheadTed
Instructor

[QUOTE=Dano523;1597840185]C6 fuel pump goes all the way to the bottom of the tank, and would bank that the bottom of your drivers side fuel pump plastic pick up area is cracked and why it's not drawing fuel past the tank 1/4 low point isntead.

I have had the fuel gauge go to empty and DIC say “service fuel system” a few times, why I use Techron. This time it said the sending unit said there was gas in the tank and there was, but evidently it wouldn’t suck it up. Would the sending unit actually stop the car. This sounds more plausible to me.

Last edited by HammerheadTed; 08-22-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:09 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 587 Posts

Car will run with a totally dead or disconnected sending unit. Dano's cracked pump diagnosis is logical from the reported facts.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:34 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 150 Posts

I never run my car under 1/2 on the fuel gage. When you do this on a regular basis, the passenger side fuel tank is empty and there is no lubrication to the fuel sender and pump on the passenger side tank. If you are adding gas when your gage is showing 1/8 - 1/4 full on a regular basis, I think you are asking for trouble. Have never had a problem filling my tank at the 1/2 point using 93 octane top tier gas.
RedHottGS (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 09:00 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick369
I never run my car under 1/2 on the fuel gage. When you do this on a regular basis, the passenger side fuel tank is empty and there is no lubrication to the fuel sender and pump on the passenger side tank. If you are adding gas when your gage is showing 1/8 - 1/4 full on a regular basis, I think you are asking for trouble. Have never had a problem filling my tank at the 1/2 point using 93 octane top tier gas.
My fuel gauge ALWAYS shows FULL. Why? Because it's a GARAGE QUEEN.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:32 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
C6 fuel pump goes all the way to the bottom of the tank, and would bank that the bottom of your drivers side fuel pump plastic pick up area is cracked and why it's not drawing fuel past the tank 1/4 low point isntead.

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Car will run with a totally dead or disconnected sending unit. Dano's cracked pump diagnosis is logical from the reported facts.
Except that 1/4 tank reading on the gauge means the right tank is totally empty and the left where the fuel pump is half full. Also the pump is sucking from the very bottom of the sump which is always being refilled. The whole assembly would have to be shattered and hanging from the top for the pump to not see half a tank of gas.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:42 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Except the pump on the right side is a venturi pump which means it has no moving parts and so no need for lubrication. I regularly run mine to the warning and, in 11 years as a daily driver have never had an issue. I HAVE had problems several times with previous cars running well past "empty" when the fuel pumps overheated and failed. But "empty" on this car means there is more than 2.5 gallons in the left tank where the fuel pump is. Even 1 gallon should be enough to keep the fuel pump cool although it probably is better to fill up when you get down less than 4.5 gallons (1/4 tank).

As far as the fuel sender in the right tank being dry, it is going to start having an issue as soon as any fuel is used. If you want to keep it wet all the time you are going to have to stop every few miles and refill the right tank. But that is also why you want to keep the tank totally full if you store the car over the winter.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

It's been a while since I posted a full description of the fuel tanks. http://www.hessh.de/Corvette/FuelTankSystem.pdf

With no other information I'm thinking fuel pump. But that may be totally wrong since it could just as easily be air or spark related. Get the codes read which will tell us if there is something obvious.

The following 2 users liked this post by FortMorganAl:
dr_gallup (08-23-2018), HammerheadTed (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 10:28 AM
HammerheadTed
Instructor

i usually run till 1/8 tank or so, use only Shell 93 and add Techron 2/3 of the time. Have driven about 10K a year since I got the car. Because of this I will be filling up at 200mi on the trip odometer, which should be a little under 1/2 tank.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:33 AM
HammerheadTed
Instructor

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
It's been a while since I posted a full description of the fuel tanks. http://www.hessh.de/Corvette/FuelTankSystem.pdf

With no other information I'm thinking fuel pump. But that may be totally wrong since it could just as easily be air or spark related. Get the codes read which will tell us if there is something obvious.
i have a code reader and will try it today. Not sure how you do it, since normally you turn the key on to activate the readout. Never tried it on a keyless car.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:13 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

i have a code reader and will try it today. Not sure how you do it, since normally you turn the key on to activate the readout. Never tried it on a keyless car.
Do NOT press the brake pedal. Hold the bottom of the start button down for 10 seconds. First it will go to accessory mode. Then it will go to run mode just like turning the key to run but not starting a '53 Buick..
HammerheadTed (08-24-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Ran out of gas with 1/4 tank ???

Old 08-28-2018, 02:17 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Original full strength black bottle Techron is a great product. Use one bottle to about half a tank shortly before oil change.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:29 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by hope2
Original full strength black bottle Techron is a great product. Use one bottle to about half a tank shortly before oil change.
OK....i'll bite cause inquiring minds must know. Why the Techron right before an oil change ??
Old 08-29-2018, 11:05 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by windyC6
OK....i'll bite cause inquiring minds must know. Why the Techron right before an oil change ??
Back in the old days (like 30 years ago) this was a recommendation when using fuel system cleaners because it was believed they diluted the oil. I recall this being an "official" recommendation on my wife's 1985 Audi 5000. Don't know if there was any truth to it then, but there certainly doesn't seem to be any now.

Quick Reply: Ran out of gas with 1/4 tank ???