C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Key Fobs

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 06:28 PM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default C6 Key Fobs

My 'new' 2008 C6 came with three remotes/keys ... well, maybe two and a half ...

1/ The remote on the left is totaled ... it has no electronics ... but does have a cut key. I'm thinking this was the original key/remote supplied to the original owner. (Is this the #1 key)

2/ The one in the middle also looks like an original remote ... the buttons do work to lock doors, etc -- but there is no removable key ...(I'm thinking this is the #2 key / Valet key) I use this to drive ... also carrying the cut key in 1/ above.

3/ The third fob has an uncut key - the buttons do not work ... but it has electronics and I can use this to drive the vette as well ... this is an aftermarket remote with a key, but the lack of working controls is a problem ... so this is just a backup.

I would like to have two remotes that work (lock/unlock/etc) ... and think I have to purchase one new remote with key -- and have a new key cut ... unless someone sees an option.

BTW, does anyone use a 'hide-a-key' or have another solution if your remote was lost or stolen ... say if you were on a trip ...

Thanks ...

Old 08-27-2018, 09:15 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Hmmm.....you didn't say but we'll assume the key you have does work in the car. So just put that key in the middle, fully working FOB. Then you have one complete, fully working FOB w/key. Throw the empty FOB away.

Use the third FOB as a hide away if you want to go that direction. As for a spare hard "key", many here have used a Saturn blank, B106, which is flat and fits nicely in a wallet, etc and will take a Corvette cut. See link below.

Order a new, complete FOB from GM or ebay.

Then reprogram all of the FOBs as you wish. It does not matter what number is stamped on the FOB case, the FOB number is determined by the order the FOBs are programmed into the car computer. The first one programmed becomes #1, the second one programmed is #2, etc. Only the first two programmed FOBs can access the memory functions. FOBs that are programmed and #3 and #4 only open the locks and start the car, they will not have access to the memory functions. See programming link below.

Spare hard key example:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...key-blank.html

FOB programming: (follow the directions exactly)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html
The following users liked this post:
gliderdriver (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 09:20 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

You can get empty fob case to use the electronics out of one that has a broken case. Some of the case will come with the blank key as well.

Since you have a key that works with the car, not hard to use it to have extra blank keys cut.

As for fobs, they can be programmed into the car in either the RCDLR memory slots 1 and 2 to work the cars memory functions, or in to slot 3 or 4 to not work with the cars memory functions. I use a tech II to do this since it a lot faster, but you could use the key in the rear cyclinder to do the short and long fob programming isntead.

So here is the case without electronic board, with blank key.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Shell-Case-On...9357650&chn=ps

If you just want the case alone without key to rebuild your first fob,
http://keylessoption.com/remote-key-...SABEgKXxvD_BwE

As for extra stash key, saturn B106 key blank is used to cut a blank without fob, which you can get the key blank with or without the key head rubber coating.
gliderdriver (08-27-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 03:07 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

My first question is: Do all three of those fobs have a C6 emblem on the back?
Second question: If you open them, are the PC boards identical?
Third question: Does the center fob without a key, have the same release for the chrome part?

Why I ask, is the first one looks like a broken OEM case with a good OEM key, but check it in the trunk/hatch lock first.
The second one looks like the key portion is not removable and therefore the PC board won't match an OEM board or an OEM case. Since it functions, keep it as your spare.
The third one with an uncut key looks like an eBay replacement case and probably has the PC board from the first broken fob in it. If the key from the first fob fits the lock, cut the blank key using the cut key as the pattern, since the OEM key will not fit in the third fob.
To have two complete working fobs, you'll either need to buy a used one or a new one from a GM dealer. If you bought a broken case fob to get an OEM PC board the eBay replacement cases are about $10.
In any event, put new batteries in any working fob while you have them open, since the cases tend to break easily.
gliderdriver (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 07:54 AM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
My first question is: Do all three of those fobs have a C6 emblem on the back?
Second question: If you open them, are the PC boards identical?
Third question: Does the center fob without a key, have the same release for the chrome part?

Why I ask, is the first one looks like a broken OEM case with a good OEM key, but check it in the trunk/hatch lock first.
The second one looks like the key portion is not removable and therefore the PC board won't match an OEM board or an OEM case. Since it functions, keep it as your spare.
The third one with an uncut key looks like an eBay replacement case and probably has the PC board from the first broken fob in it. If the key from the first fob fits the lock, cut the blank key using the cut key as the pattern, since the OEM key will not fit in the third fob.
To have two complete working fobs, you'll either need to buy a used one or a new one from a GM dealer. If you bought a broken case fob to get an OEM PC board the eBay replacement cases are about $10.
In any event, put new batteries in any working fob while you have them open, since the cases tend to break easily.
Thanks ... yes the key works ... yes - keeping 2 as a spare ... I found an uninstalled blue sheet to make the buttons work for # 3 ... so, I just have to get the key cut and this can be my primary. I would have to buy one additional replacement and get the key cut to have a second fully functioning fob with a key as you mention. I also want to see if I can get a B106 key blank cut for my wallet ... not sure those blanks work on 2008 or newer C6s though ...

Guys ... thanks for all your responses - this forum is great ... Ken
Old 08-28-2018, 02:12 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by gliderdriver
Thanks ... yes the key works ... yes - keeping 2 as a spare ... I found an uninstalled blue sheet to make the buttons work for # 3 ... so, I just have to get the key cut and this can be my primary. I would have to buy one additional replacement and get the key cut to have a second fully functioning fob with a key as you mention. I also want to see if I can get a B106 key blank cut for my wallet ... not sure those blanks work on 2008 or newer C6s though ...

Guys ... thanks for all your responses - this forum is great ... Ken
I assume the third fob has no emblem, so you might try to remove the one from the broken one and glue on there. If you get a spare key cut for your wallet (yes the B106 works for all C6's) you can make the second fob your backup, either wrapped in foil or with the battery removed. If you're not in the habit of pushing fob buttons and prefer to use the passive method, leaving out the "blue sheet" will ensure you never accidentally press a button and unlock doors, pop the hatch open, or blow the panic horn. With an OEM fob, a piece of cellophane tape over the PC board contact points will do the same thing. You certainly don't want to be in a restaurant or theater and unknowingly press the hatch button, to come out later and find the car missing after someone found your spare fob and went for a joy ride or worse.
gliderdriver (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 02:47 PM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I assume the third fob has no emblem, so you might try to remove the one from the broken one and glue on there. If you get a spare key cut for your wallet (yes the B106 works for all C6's) you can make the second fob your backup, either wrapped in foil or with the battery removed. If you're not in the habit of pushing fob buttons and prefer to use the passive method, leaving out the "blue sheet" will ensure you never accidentally press a button and unlock doors, pop the hatch open, or blow the panic horn. With an OEM fob, a piece of cellophane tape over the PC board contact points will do the same thing. You certainly don't want to be in a restaurant or theater and unknowingly press the hatch button, to come out later and find the car missing after someone found your spare fob and went for a joy ride or worse.
Thanks ... my local true value hardware had B106P ... plastic handle end ... they cut using the single key I had - it works fine and I think I can just remove the plastic to make it flat ... $3.00

They also cut the blank I had in the non-OEM fob (for free) ... this also works fine ... and I will glue on the corvette emblem ...

So I have two working fobs ... and three keys ... thanks for all the help ... Ken
Old 10-04-2018, 01:25 PM
9C1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gliderdriver
Thanks ... my local true value hardware had B106P ... plastic handle end ... they cut using the single key I had - it works fine and I think I can just remove the plastic to make it flat ... $3.00

They also cut the blank I had in the non-OEM fob (for free) ... this also works fine ... and I will glue on the corvette emblem ...

So I have two working fobs ... and three keys ... thanks for all the help ... Ken
How did you get the Corvette emblem off without damaging it? Or did you get one from another source? If so where?

Asking for a friend. :-)
Terry
Old 10-04-2018, 02:39 PM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by 9C1
How did you get the Corvette emblem off without damaging it? Or did you get one from another source? If so where?

Asking for a friend. :-)
Terry
I had no problem gently prying the emblem off the old broken fob ... I think I actually used a butter knife as it had a thin and relatively wide blade (my wife hates when I use kitchen stuff as tools) ...came off with no problem ...

I re-attached using contact cement ... great adhesion, and will also allow removal in the future if required.

good luck ...

9C1 (10-09-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Key Fobs

Quick Reply: C6 Key Fobs