C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fish bite???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 10:58 AM
vettev22
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fish bite??? Fixed so far

I have an 08 C6 manual, about a year ago I put a Borla cat back exhaust and a vararam intake and I’ve had no problems. Recently in the last month or so I’ve been getting what Ive been told they call fish bite where at low speed‘s you can feel it jerk here and there, mostly in 1st and 2nd at slow steady speed. Any idea how to correct this? Maybe a tune or something? thx

Last edited by vettev22; 10-05-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:16 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Its called low idle surging, and would pull the Maf sensor to give it a good cleaning to start with,
Also, would pull the air filter to give it a good cleaning as well.
Lastly, double check the fitting on the air filter system that may have come loose, as well as intake manifold hoses, since un-metered MAF air into the intake will cause the same surging problems as well.
The following users liked this post:
joliett (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 12:22 PM
vettev22
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dano523
Its called low idle surging, and would pull the Maf sensor to give it a good cleaning to start with,
Also, would pull the air filter to give it a good cleaning as well.
Lastly, double check the fitting on the air filter system that may have come loose, as well as intake manifold hoses, since un-metered MAF air into the intake will cause the same surging problems as well.
thx i’ll check that out, appreciate the info.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:49 PM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Let us know the results !!!
Old 09-30-2018, 07:40 AM
Beef97
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Good post, I'm curious as well as I've experienced something similar. Not sure how bad your surging is but mine was pretty small but still frustrating. I'll try cleaning my MAF sensor also. Curious to see how your results go, good luck
Old 09-30-2018, 09:11 AM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

I also have an 08 C6 manual. I live in a community with a 15mph speed limit. I don't drive this car daily, and it only has had about 25K on it now. When I go out in the morning, driving slow in first or second gear, I get a jerky throttle response, until I get out on the open road at higher speeds. Then the car returns to normal driveability for the rest of the day, even at speeds under 20mph!
My situation definitely sounds like the same problem, low idle surging! Thanks, Dano.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:26 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Originally Posted by marinablu67
I also have an 08 C6 manual. I live in a community with a 15mph speed limit. I don't drive this car daily, and it only has had about 25K on it now. When I go out in the morning, driving slow in first or second gear, I get a jerky throttle response, until I get out on the open road at higher speeds. Then the car returns to normal driveability for the rest of the day, even at speeds under 20mph!
My situation definitely sounds like the same problem, low idle surging! Thanks, Dano.
Your problem is not really a problem nor the same as the opts, begin that until the motor warms up, it running a lot richer in warm up conditions, and is what is going on.
The vet does not have a Choke, but think cold start choke kind of throttle response until the motor does warms up.
If you toggle the DIC over to engine oil temp, will notice that once the motor oil gets to about 120* and higher, the problem resolves itself.
Also, it a good reminder as well with the DIC set to oil temp, since you don't want to rev the motor over say 3K until the motor oil temps gets up to around 170* instead.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:59 AM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Your problem is not really a problem nor the same as the opts, begin that until the motor warms up, it running a lot richer in warm up conditions, and is what is going on.
The vet does not have a Choke, but think cold start choke kind of throttle response until the motor does warms up.
If you toggle the DIC over to engine oil temp, will notice that once the motor oil gets to about 120* and higher, the problem resolves itself.
Also, it a good reminder as well with the DIC set to oil temp, since you don't want to rev the motor over say 3K until the motor oil temps gets up to around 170* instead.
I'm glad to hear that it's not a problem! The next time I use the car, I'll watch the oil temp before I start drivng.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:02 PM
vettev22
Intermediate

well I cleaned the mass airflow sensor, cleaned the air filter and checked the vacuum to the intake and none of that fixed it so I guess I’m going to try a new mass airflow sensor and see if maybe that helps?

Last edited by vettev22; 09-30-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:05 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Originally Posted by vettev22
well I cleaned the mass airflow sensor, cleaned the air filter and checked the vacuum to the intake and none of that fixed it so I guess I’m going to try a new mass airflow sensor and see if maybe that helps?
I've had the 'fish bite' problem on two other cars and it is more like a like a stumble, where a plug doesn't fire. Turned out to be a bad coil pack in both cases. I guess it could also be caused by a bad ignition wire, or spark plug.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:20 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Before you start throwing parts and money at the problem have the codes on the car checked. The problem could be a simple fix that has nothing to do with the MAF sensor.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:26 PM
vettev22
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Before you start throwing parts and money at the problem have the codes on the car checked. The problem could be a simple fix that has nothing to do with the MAF sensor.

I already did check the codes and there wasn’t any, also I just recently had new plugs and wires put on . It did it before and after the plugs and wires .

Last edited by vettev22; 09-30-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:52 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I already did check the codes and there wasn’t any, also I just recently had new plugs and wires put on . It did it before and after the plugs and wires .
Then I would start by checking the coil packs. One could be bad.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:18 PM
vettev22
Intermediate

well new mass airflow did not help, I guess I’ll have to hook the snap on scanner back up, before I noticed occasional random cylinder misses but it would only be two and it was across several cylinders even one I had just replaced the coil on so is there something that can go bad that runs the coil packs?
Old 10-02-2018, 04:38 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

well new mass airflow did not help, I guess I’ll have to hook the snap on scanner back up, before I noticed occasional random cylinder misses but it would only be two and it was across several cylinders even one I had just replaced the coil on so is there something that can go bad that runs the coil packs?
If the misfires are consistently on the same 2 cylinders, you could try swapping those coil packs with two other cylinders and see if the fault follows the packs. I understand 1 of the packs is new, but by doing this you can eliminate the packs as the problem if the fault remains with the same cylinders.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:03 PM
vettev22
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
If the misfires are consistently on the same 2 cylinders, you could try swapping those coil packs with two other cylinders and see if the fault follows the packs. I understand 1 of the packs is new, but by doing this you can eliminate the packs as the problem if the fault remains with the same cylinders.

It wasn’t just one or two cylinders it was 6-8 cylinders that would just randomly show 2 misses and then go away and then another cylinder, but after the plugs and wires, talked with my mechanic today and he said there were no more random misses after they were changed. The only other thing I can think of right off hand is maybe I need a tune, and it just took a while for the computer to adjust to the wrong setting ?

Last edited by vettev22; 10-02-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:51 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

"Fish Bite" Learn something new on this forum every day. Who knew!

Get notified of new replies

To fish bite???

Old 10-05-2018, 12:19 PM
vettev22
Intermediate

all right I believe I found a fix to the problem, I had to clean the throttlebody and use a scanner to relearn idle and that seems to have fixed it. I hope that helps some of you others out there .
Old 10-05-2018, 02:00 PM
Drive_Sell_Win
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 08 C6 manual, about a year ago I put a Borla cat back exhaust and a vararam intake and I’ve had no problems. Recently in the last month or so I’ve been getting what Ive been told they call fish bite where at low speed‘s you can feel it jerk here and there, mostly in 1st and 2nd at slow steady speed. Any idea how to correct this? Maybe a tune or something? thx
Just a thought... do you let it warm up first or do you just drive it out hard right away?
Old 10-05-2018, 09:24 PM
Beef97
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

all right I believe I found a fix to the problem, I had to clean the throttlebody and use a scanner to relearn idle and that seems to have fixed it. I hope that helps some of you others out there .
Did you pull the throttle body off or spray it while it was running? How many miles on your throttle body since last cleaning?

Quick Reply: fish bite???