C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging system

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 08:22 AM
jlherod
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Charging system

My charging system showed low voltage. I replaced the alternator with a rebuilt one. At highway speeds it puts out 14.2 volts. Sitting in a parade and driving slowly it drops down to 11 volts. Has antone else had this problem?
Old 10-03-2018, 08:30 AM
littlefranks
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a problem on a few cars I’ve been seeing lately .check starter wires.if all wires are good.then don’t know what it could be.as i am still trying to figure out on a few cars now.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:05 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I went through 2 alternators, the third worked fine. A lot of times the rebuilt ones are not done correctly. Also check the negative terminal on your battery, mine was turning black I cut it off and cut back the wire and installed a new connector, which was way better than the stupid factory one anyway. I also had a starter issue, the solenoid had melted, don't think that had anything to do with the charging system issue, but if the ground wire underneath is not connected correctly you can have issues.
Basically check, alternator, battery, connections and grounds. The issue is there.

Last edited by mcandrew67; 10-03-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:03 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Start with this since I go over some voltage check point tests, and if have question still on specific area, then can answer them.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...intenance.html

My guess, is that sitting in the parade, and driving slow, you have the A/C on, and the battery is draining down faster that the alternator can charge it back up.
Hence OEM Valeo alternator only puts out about 14 amps when the motor is idling, and the raditor fan when running (ac turns it on) , is drawing close to 16 amps itself isntead.

So to solve this problem, you upgrade to a billet mechman alternator that is 6 pole (factory is only 3 pole) and the billet alternator will put out close to 60amps when the motor is idling instead.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...w-pricing.html

Get notified of new replies

To Charging system

Quick Reply: Charging system