C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting the shroud for more air & homemade CAI parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 12:23 PM
C6Tally
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cutting the shroud for more air & homemade CAI parts

I've tried searching for some threads discussing propping the lower shroud open for direct outside air flow that I stumbled across a few weeks ago and of course now, I can't seem to find them when I want to re-read them.

I have questions...

Has anybody just taken a dremel tool to the shroud and cut a hole for air to come through? If so, what were the results? Any rain water issues? Better air flow to the intake? Regrets of cutting ?

Second-- Someone was making some covers to seal the engine bay side of the air filter housing and I believe was selling them to members... Can somebody point me in the right direction to talk to whoever was doing this?

I just can't bring myself to drop $500 on an intake system that I think can be closely reproduced at home for less than 1/2 that price.
I'm not racing so I'm OK leaving a couple of HP on the table if it saves me several hundred bucks.

Thanks in advance

Trey
Old 10-04-2018, 10:21 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

I made one for about 10 bucks. Your insults won't hurt my feelings.

1) remove lower shroud bolts. Make spacers out of PVC pipe to create a gap on bottom of shroud.
2) fashion a scoop by cutting the curved bottom of a 11" wide black plastic office waste basket and install under shroud using longer bolts going through the PVC spacers. Can't see unless car is jacked up.
3) modify a silver windshield sunscreen to fit over the airbox. Can secure using velcro, or binder clips or push pins through small holes that you can drill. Isolates the air intake from the hot engine compartment.

Air is forced up the scoop through the gap and to the filters. No water ingestion issues and my tuner said it worked as well as a pricey CAI in regards to the parameters he used for my tune.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:10 PM
C6Tally
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
I made one for about 10 bucks. Your insults won't hurt my feelings.

1) remove lower shroud bolts. Make spacers out of PVC pipe to create a gap on bottom of shroud.
2) fashion a scoop by cutting the curved bottom of a 11" wide black plastic office waste basket and install under shroud using longer bolts going through the PVC spacers. Can't see unless car is jacked up.
3) modify a silver windshield sunscreen to fit over the airbox. Can secure using velcro, or binder clips or push pins through small holes that you can drill. Isolates the air intake from the hot engine compartment.

Air is forced up the scoop through the gap and to the filters. No water ingestion issues and my tuner said it worked as well as a pricey CAI in regards to the parameters he used for my tune.

Thanks for the input. I don't insult creative solutions. If it works, it works.

Get notified of new replies

To Cutting the shroud for more air & homemade CAI parts

Quick Reply: Cutting the shroud for more air & homemade CAI parts