C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions Recall & California Facts

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 07:16 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the recall done on my stock '08 coupe. My understanding at the time was the original cats could clog and restrict exhaust flow. The car has run better and stronger since the work was done. I see no reason why you should avoid getting the work done, particularly with a Callaway, which having forced induction might benefit even more than a base car.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:20 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by sfrank2886
a

Your car will not pass inspection in Texas either haha, please move to California!
There is no emission testing down here where i live...Yet!!
Old 10-21-2018, 11:35 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 919cw313
I was expecting this, and it's okay. Short answer is I can probably move to three places, So Cal, Southern AZ, South TX. Arizona is too hot, Texas is too hot and I hate it, and California is what it is. "Most are leaving" isn't affecting the population or home prices negatively, so I don't have an answer for that.

I'd really like to get the F out of here, but I'm not willing to switch careers at my age.
I don't know what you do...But Austin,Tx is the high tech city and about 40% are from Kalifornia and it does not get to hot as well...Do your research on Austin.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:45 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
...Do your research on Austin.
Thanks, but I mean SOUTH Texas, not just South Texas. Like might as well be Mexico Texas.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:05 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Thanks, but I mean SOUTH Texas, not just South Texas. Like might as well be Mexico Texas.
So you mean the border towns like Laredo?....That is about South as you can go.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:17 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

^ Yup, unfortunately. Which is why I’m not excited about Tejas.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:31 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

^ Yup, unfortunately. Which is why I’m not excited about Tejas.
Nah..It's not to bad down there.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:27 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I wouldn't want to live there either.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:20 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Why wouldn't it? Texas doesn't require the extra cats.
It was a joke, He said he did not Like Texas, so that's why I said please move to California.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:35 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Tucson isn't as hot as Phoenix and AZ housing/RE taxes are less than most cities in CA or TX. Actually there are only 3 counties in AZ that even do the emission check. Living just North of Phoenix is about 20 degrees cooler and no emission requirements at all. Flagstaff had snow last week if you want cold. Nogales or Yuma are good if you like border towns.

So what profession are you in?
Old 10-22-2018, 03:42 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Tucson...
...So what profession are you in?
Tucson is too hot for my white ***. And that paricular "office" isn't what I'm looking for either.

Hardly a profession, and you've probably figured it out by now anyway. I'm not being cagey for the fun of it nor is it top secret, just not advertising.

Last edited by 919cw313; 10-22-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:45 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Tucson is too hot for my white ***. And that paricular "office" isn't what I'm looking for either.

Hardly a profession, and you've probably figured it out by now anyway. I'm not being cagey for the fun of it, just not advertising.
I understand completely. Tuscon itself actually sits in a big bowl of a valley. Once you get farther south toward the border the elevation goes up rather quickly, and temps are much more mild. My parents live about 40 miles from the border and are sitting at 3500' elevation. It's really not that bad there.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:02 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

can't understand why people get worked up about California's smog checks & requirements.
when properly set up and maintained, it'll allow for your engine to provide the most power it can.
I like wrenching as much as anyone, but theirs no way you can convince me the average guy can,
tune his car better then a properly set up fuel injection system ( which includes all of the smog related equipment ).
this includes performance & running clean. I agree it's a pain in the ****, but I'm willing to pay it for the results it provides.
their's a reason why California is so expensive: weather
at least in the SF bay area. if you're looking for the traditional 4 seasons, then look elsewhere.
if you want to drive your C6 year round, saddle up!
if you want snow, drive 2 - 3 hours east: ( i.e.Tahoe )
if you want the ocean: drive 1 - 2 hours west ( pacific )
if you want some wine: drive 1 - 2 hours north ( napa )
if you want the desert: drive 3 - 4 hour south ( so. cal. )
theirs a lot of reason why its economy is one the largest in the world.
come and see for yourself.
I dare you.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:44 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by cgladish
can't understand why people get worked up about California's smog checks & requirements.
when properly set up and maintained, it'll allow for your engine to provide the most power it can.
I like wrenching as much as anyone, but theirs no way you can convince me the average guy can,
tune his car better then a properly set up fuel injection system ( which includes all of the smog related equipment ).
this includes performance & running clean. I agree it's a pain in the ****, but I'm willing to pay it for the results it provides.
at least in the SF bay area. if you're looking for the traditional 4 seasons, then look elsewhere.
I dare you.
They get worked up because you basically can not do any performance upgrades at all. Most certainly you can not add headers which is one of the most basic, cost effective, and easiest upgrades one can make with a tune. The base C6 comes tuned with allot to be desired. We are not talking about the average corvette owner, but the ones who want to add performance.

As far as living in California, the economy there, and how much it cost, the Taxes and so forth, you can have it. I use to travel their but not any more.

their's a reason why California is so expensive: THE TAXES and you may have the second largest economy but the state is virtually broke. Their will soon be no middle class either as they are leaving Cali in droves.

Good Luck I am out on this thread

Old 10-22-2018, 06:04 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I can't argue the lack of options on engine upgrades, as compared to other parts of the country.
but their are still enough out there to keep most happy. you can't do long tube headers, but yes on shorty's ( as long as the o2 sensor
remains in its original location ). if the lack of being to tune for more HP is what's holding you back, then California may not be for you.
i can't believe that I'm saying this, but the C6 has more then enough power for street use. if you want much more, then you might as well
head to the strip. i like HP as much as anyone, but the guys i see out there, running 600, 700, 800+ HP, is that really what you want on the streets?

I'm sure it won't happen, but their has long been a proposal to separate the state ( north, south and, central ). the bay area is where the real money is.
so. cal. $$$ are all Hollywood. they can't even supply enough water for their people. the bulk of their water is coming from northern cal.
i'll take the SF bay area and the central valley ( hey, i gotta eat! ) any day. I have no interest in the L.A. area.
it's a money & soul sponge! and the traffic their is insane. you might as well be riding Autopia at Disneyland.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:17 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

I can't argue the lack of options on engine upgrades, as compared to other parts of the country.
but their are still enough out there to keep most happy. you can't do long tube headers, but yes on shorty's ( as long as the o2 sensor
remains in its original location ). if the lack of being to tune for more HP is what's holding you back, then California may not be for you.
i can't believe that I'm saying this, but the C6 has more then enough power for street use. if you want much more, then you might as well
head to the strip. i like HP as much as anyone, but the guys i see out there, running 600, 700, 800+ HP, is that really what you want on the streets?

I'm sure it won't happen, but their has long been a proposal to separate the state ( north, south and, central ). the bay area is where the real money is.
so. cal. $$$ are all Hollywood. they can't even supply enough water for their people. the bulk of their water is coming from northern cal.
i'll take the SF bay area and the central valley ( hey, i gotta eat! ) any day. I have no interest in the L.A. area.
it's a money & soul sponge! and the traffic their is insane. you might as well be riding Autopia at Disneyland.
with you about N vs. S cal. However, I can leave SF behind for the area in which you're living. That or Napa.

BTW - If you want more CA legal HP, and lots of it, go see A&A in Oxnard, CA. They'll strap on a SC for you that'll pass CA emissions.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:24 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

I dare you.
I grew up in Cali. It's not the same as it used to be, and I'd never go back as much as I loved it there.

Get notified of new replies

To Emissions Recall & California Facts

Old 10-22-2018, 06:32 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

while I do have a sister who lives on SF, I avoid that city as much as possible. the SF bay area in general though, is pretty good.
napa is worth checking out, or anything north of the bay area.
currently, I'm not looking for any HP increase. my goal ( or hope ), is to keep my ride as stock as possible, for as long as possible.
I've been on the upgrade train a few times. once that you're on board, you're on for the long haul.
after I get at least one of my two daughters the college, then I can free up some $$$.
luckily, the LS3 has enough to offer for the time being.
separate note, I'll get my added power vicariously this weekend. heading the central valley for "shift 3ector" 1/2 mile runs.
i'll be a spectator this time, maybe next time i'll line it up.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:36 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

One vote for California here. I surf every morning before work and often snowboard the same afternoon during the winter. 40 minutes from the beach. 60 Minutes from ski slopes. 3-1/2 hours to Vegas. I drive my Vette all year. We have it all here. I have never been to Hollywood in my 60 years so I have no idea what it is like there but I know it has nothing to do with anything I do.
As far as the emissions crap, when I was a kid in the 70's, we could not see the San Gabriel Mountains (which are only 20 miles away) because of the smog. Now, I see them every day. Smog is virtually gone and is never even discussed. All those regulations cleaned up our air so I am fine with not having headers. Most of the guys adding HP to a C6 couldn't handle their car with the nannys off so the extra performance is just an ego booster. Cat back is legal here and makes it sound great. Good enough for me and I had professional licenses in two different racing series in my younger days. My car is fast enough and I am not stupid enough to street race anyway. Our governor is an idiot and we have a lot of traffic but I would not live anywhere else.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:46 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I grew up in Cali. It's not the same as it used to be, and I'd never go back as much as I loved it there.
100%. I also grew up there and loved it. Moved back a few years ago, couldn't believe how much it has changed and left as soon as I could. Although I have a lot of family out there, I will never live there again .. it has changed a great deal and, IMO, not for the good.

Quick Reply: Emissions Recall & California Facts