C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions Recall & California Facts

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 06:50 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

I was born in ohio, and have been to almost all 50 states. our company has about 60 branches spread around the US ( including our H/Q in chino! ).
with my tenure, I could pick any location to work, but nothing offers what CA has. having been here since 1971, I know that I'm biased.
their are lot of nice places in this fine country, but I'm good here.
on the performance front, if not for the computerized fuel injection systems, theirs no way our current rides would be possible.
the combination of MPG & MPH and reliability just would not happen.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:47 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by pdc001
They don't check for recalls. That's not part of their checklist. Cars 2000 and newer are only subject to visual inspections (popping the hood and looking underneath for cats) and they plug a obd2 scanner to make sure there are no codes and the emissions test comes out as "ready" on the scanner.
I don't believe this is correct. An unperformed recall for any smog component will show up when the VIN is put in, and the car will be flagged at that point, meaning taking it to another test cite will not work. The recall will have to be done before the car will be registered, or a special request made to the ARB. I am no longer in CA, but believe that may be the current policy.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:48 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313
I’m considering a move to California but my car has an open emissions recall. My car is a Callaway, supercharged, tuned, exhaust, etc so I’m not having a dealer start monkeying around with it.

I’ve read stories in other threads that CA won’t let you renew your registration until you’ve had the recall performed. Is that true in all cases or was someone forced into it by a dealer?

Hypothetically, will any 2008-09 pass smog without the recall done?
NO, it will not pass without the recall. The test cite will know the recall was not done as soon as the VIN is logged.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:19 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
NO, it will not pass without the recall. The test cite will know the recall was not done as soon as the VIN is logged.
That's how it is here in Commie NYS.

The days of slipping a buddy a few extra bucks to "pass" an inspection went away years ago. The inspector plugs a cable into the thingy under the steering wheel which is connected to a special NYS computer in the shop (which they must buy) and any pertinent info is immediately sent to Albany. It either passes or it doesn't.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:22 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by cgladish
can't understand why people get worked up about California's smog checks & requirements.
when properly set up and maintained, it'll allow for your engine to provide the most power it can.
I like wrenching as much as anyone, but theirs no way you can convince me the average guy can,
tune his car better then a properly set up fuel injection system ( which includes all of the smog related equipment ).
this includes performance & running clean. I agree it's a pain in the ****, but I'm willing to pay it for the results it provides.
their's a reason why California is so expensive: weather
at least in the SF bay area. if you're looking for the traditional 4 seasons, then look elsewhere.
if you want to drive your C6 year round, saddle up!
if you want snow, drive 2 - 3 hours east: ( i.e.Tahoe )
if you want the ocean: drive 1 - 2 hours west ( pacific )
if you want some wine: drive 1 - 2 hours north ( napa )
if you want the desert: drive 3 - 4 hour south ( so. cal. )
theirs a lot of reason why its economy is one the largest in the world.
come and see for yourself.
I dare you.
You forgot about all the fires out there then rain and mudslides.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:48 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
One vote for California here. I surf every morning before work and often snowboard the same afternoon during the winter. 40 minutes from the beach. 60 Minutes from ski slopes. 3-1/2 hours to Vegas. I drive my Vette all year. We have it all here. I have never been to Hollywood in my 60 years so I have no idea what it is like there but I know it has nothing to do with anything I do.
As far as the emissions crap, when I was a kid in the 70's, we could not see the San Gabriel Mountains (which are only 20 miles away) because of the smog. Now, I see them every day. Smog is virtually gone and is never even discussed. All those regulations cleaned up our air so I am fine with not having headers. Most of the guys adding HP to a C6 couldn't handle their car with the nannys off so the extra performance is just an ego booster. Cat back is legal here and makes it sound great. Good enough for me and I had professional licenses in two different racing series in my younger days. My car is fast enough and I am not stupid enough to street race anyway. Our governor is an idiot and we have a lot of traffic but I would not live anywhere else.
Well said!
The following users liked this post:
HBsurfer (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 10:07 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

it's a big state, but not everywhere is effected by mudslides. as far as the rain, we only get that a few months out of the year.
surprised you didn't mention earthquakes. every part of the US has their issues. humidity, tornado's, snow, heat, hurricanes.
who is free from any of this. If you're looking for moderate weather, then I feel we stack up with anybody.
if you want the extremes, they are all within a few hours drive of where I live.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:48 AM
Djam
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RB is Awesome

I live in Ramona and work in RB. The weather in RB is awesome year round. Can get pretty hot in August, but SD is a great place to live. There is a great car culture here as well. If you hate heat you will want to buy closer to the ocean. You will pay a premium for that. In general housing is very expensive here.

Last edited by Djam; 10-23-2018 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Stupid auto correction
Old 10-23-2018, 11:12 AM
jchappies
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

There are a few counties here in Ca. that don't require smog checks every year or every other year. They only require a smog check when you transfer/sell the vehicle. So it is possible to have a nice performance vehicle in Ca...you just have to live in the right county.

counties that are exempt are: alpine amador, calaveras, del norte, humboldt, imperial, inyo, lake, lassen, mariposa, mendocino, modoc, mono, plumas, sierra, siskiyou, trinity, tuolumne

Last edited by jchappies; 10-23-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:33 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I've heard that too about those counties. while they are all gorgeous, they are for the most part, remote.
not that I have a problem with that. I love that part of California. I wouldn't mind retiring there.
if you need to be part of the big city life, then those counties ( for the most part ), will fall short.
if you want quiet, want to be in the mountains, nice rivers & lakes, you'd be all set!
that's what's nice about CA. so. cal. vs nor cal, polar opposite. SF bay area is the compromise, but close to either environment if the mood strikes.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:34 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by cgladish
it's a big state, but not everywhere is effected by mudslides. as far as the rain, we only get that a few months out of the year.
surprised you didn't mention earthquakes. every part of the US has their issues. humidity, tornado's, snow, heat, hurricanes.
who is free from any of this. If you're looking for moderate weather, then I feel we stack up with anybody.
if you want the extremes, they are all within a few hours drive of where I live.
Funny you mention that. When watching the news a while back, Arizona had both the Nation's hottest and coldest temperatures on the same day.
Ski in Flagstaff until Noon and be in your Phoenix pool in the mid 80's by 2 PM.

AZ is not for everyone, thankfully. However, it does attract people from all parts of the Country. While the US had a growth of 2.5 times between 1940 and now, AZ, FL, and NV have grown over 10 times.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:50 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

An interesting geographic factoid about California:

Regarding the lower 48, the lowest point in the country is Death Valley, at 282 feet below sea level. The highest point in the country, Mt. Whitney at 14,505' above sea level, is only 80 miles away. I recall reading (somewhere) that one can see Mt. Whitney from Death Valley. Pretty amazing.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:51 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm definitely not a heat person. don't mind visiting those places, but would not settle their.
unless theirs a dramatic change in my physiology in the near future ( i.e. becoming a snow-bird ), I'm staying in California.
we do have the temp swings too, but they tend be in different regions at different times.
they tend be maybe a 30°-40°F temp swing during any given season. but with the micro-climates, where I work ( Richmond ),
during summer it may get 85°, my drive home 25miles inland it'll be 105°-110°.
you can pick the temp range you from a 50 mile radius.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:57 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

that is what I heard too. we have a local mountain ( mt. diablo, 3,849' ) that, on a clear day, you can see the farollon islands ( west, 26 miles off in the pacific ocean ). you can also see mt. Shasta ( north, 300'ish miles ).

it's starting to feel like a bad game of telephone. I've lost track of the original post.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:01 PM
NY Chief
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The dumbest **** about CA is they only care about the emissions. When I lived in NY the safety inspection was all about...safety! Good tires, brakes, wipers, lights, etc. Not CA. They could care less if you ride in in a death trap. Just gotta pass that smog test. And don't you DARE do ANY real mods to your car......

Last edited by NY Chief; 10-23-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:11 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

i can't argue the point on safety inspections. I agree that that should also be part of the program.
having said that, I still feel that the smog test has a valuable purpose. or at least the smog & associated components do.
as stated previously, none of the current performance benefits would have been possible without them.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:29 PM
NY Chief
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What is this Cat recall thing anyway? I haven't heard a thing in regards to my 2006.

Get notified of new replies

To Emissions Recall & California Facts

Old 10-23-2018, 03:38 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Name:  oUWwJXz.png
Views: 36
Size:  26.0 KB

Old 10-23-2018, 04:02 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by NY Chief
What is this Cat recall thing anyway? I haven't heard a thing in regards to my 2006.
That's because it's only for 2008-09 LS3's with NU5.

https://gm.oemdtc.com/2723/emission-...rolet-corvette
The following users liked this post:
NY Chief (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Funny you mention that. When watching the news a while back, Arizona had both the Nation's hottest and coldest temperatures on the same day.
Ski in Flagstaff until Noon and be in your Phoenix pool in the mid 80's by 2 PM.

AZ is not for everyone, thankfully. However, it does attract people from all parts of the Country. While the US had a growth of 2.5 times between 1940 and now, AZ, FL, and NV have grown over 10 times.
And I'll be there in April. Can't wait to hit the track out there.

Quick Reply: Emissions Recall & California Facts