C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flapping cargo curtain

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 12:34 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 901 Likes on 586 Posts

I don't take the roof off. Should have bought a Z06.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:33 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Did mine this morning using the idea posted by 4Sumerz about using the retractable ID holders. Due to wanting the flap to come down behind my organizer, I did mine a little different. Instead of clipping the ID holders to the speaker bezels, they tucked up nicely under the corners of the organizer; since the edges are soft and rounded, hopefully there won't be too much wear on the lines. Picked up the retractable ID holders at Walmart, picked up the dowel and small 'eye' screws at Ace; total came to less then $10

Last edited by Welker1; 10-22-2018 at 04:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cadyshac (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 05:16 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

That works for sure. The lines of the retractable are tough. They are also easy to replace if the line breaks after long period of usage.
Nice job.
The following users liked this post:
Welker1 (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 05:38 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

No flapping here mine stays behind the cargo tray.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:40 PM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
Thanks, but I got this idea from another forum member that had done the exact thing and posted it on this great forum. I tried to find the original thread, but couldn't. It had tons of DIY ideas.
Hopefully it will help others as well
Here are the materials used:

1) 3/8" wooden dowel approx 42" in length
2) (2) ID badge holders (Staples)
3) (2) small eye screws
4) a pair of needlenose pliers.
5) Drill with a 1/16" drill bit
Typical ID badge holder, As per the 2nd pic, use a pair of needle nose pliers to spread the metal triangle and remove the plastic snap portion from the ID badge holder.
the rear partition and top shelf/ cover that you have now where did you get them? I would like to do the same. Tried making a pattern for something like that but didn't work. Also does it touch your targa top when stored?

Thanks
Lisa
Old 10-22-2018, 09:52 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

I installed a cargo divider and cut the flap off of the cargo cover.

Last edited by HBsurfer; 10-22-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:17 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by rick g
Is anyone else bothered by the flapping cargo curtain when the tops off? It drives me nuts, in my 05 I velcroed the flap to the cover and then finally cut it off when I bought the storage unit for behind the seats. Now I have an 08 and I’m looking for ideas.
FWIW, I was never aware that mine flapped around. If it does, it doesn't bother me.

So how is life in The Villages? How long you been there?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:48 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C6Whatever

the rear partition and top shelf/ cover that you have now where did you get them? I would like to do the same. Tried making a pattern for something like that but didn't work. Also does it touch your targa top when stored?

Thanks
Lisa
Lisa,

I originally saw this design from a FS thread from jost6453. He had made this and was selling it. Of course it was sold when I came across this, so I did PM him and he guided me through the DIY process.
I made the top cover pattern from cardboard, tweaked it numerous times until I was satisfied of a tight fit. I then transferred the pattern to 1/4" floor underlayment (4x4) and glued a 1" foamboard to the underside of the underlayment. The foamboard was purchased at Home Depot (8x4 sheet).
I then wrapped the top cover with carpeting purchased at Southern Car Parts which is the same ebony color as the C6 has.
The rear partition was made of the 1" foamboard only, wrapped in the same carpeting. The carpet of both were glued using 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. The rear partition is a bit convex to allow the targa top to sit in the holders without contacting the rear partition. With the top in storage, and the hatch closed, the top cover does not contact the top. That is why I used a stiff underlayment plywood to keep the cover from sagging. Initially I only used the Styrofoam board, and the Styrofoam did sag as the weight and heat made it do so. Once I added the plywood on top, that keeps it straight. I did not use Velcro to hold the top cover in place, because of the added plywood weight. I used the same lower holders as jost6453 used, but made a metal ledge, covered in the carpet to hold the top portion. I use a screw to hold the top cover from slipping when the hatch is open. The screw bites into the plywood to keep it secure.
here is that original jost6453 FS thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...partition.html

I believe I still have the pattern from the cardboard that I used for the cover.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 10-28-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:45 PM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
Lisa,

I originally saw this design from a FS thread from jost6453. He had made this and was selling it. Of course it was sold when I came across this, so I did PM him and he guided me through the DIY process.
I made the top cover pattern from cardboard, tweaked it numerous times until I was satisfied of a tight fit. I then transferred the pattern to 1/4" floor underlayment (4x4) and glued a 3/4" foamboard to the underside of the underlayment. The foamboard was purchased at Home Depot (8x8 sheet).
I then wrapped the top cover with carpeting purchased at Southern Car Parts which is the same ebony color as the C6 has.
The rear partition was made of the 3/4" foamboard only, wrapped in the same carpeting. The carpet of both were glued using 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. The rear partition is a bit convex to allow the targa top to sit in the holders without contacting the rear partition. With the top in storage, and the hatch closed, the top cover does not contact the top. That is why I used a stiff underlayment plywood to keep the cover from sagging. Initially I only used the Styrofoam board, and the Styrofoam did sag as the weight and heat made it do so. Once I added the plywood on top, that keeps it straight. I did not use Velcro to hold the top cover in place, because of the added plywood weight. I used the same lower holders as jost6453 used, but made a metal ledge, covered in the carpet to hold the top portion. I use a screw to hold the top cover from slipping when the hatch is open. The screw bites into the plywood to keep it secure.
here is that original jost6453 FS thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...partition.html

I believe I still have the pattern from the cardboard that I used for the cover.

i like your your idea about the top but I can't visualize how you attached the top in your car. If you have any pictures I would love to see them.
Thanks
Lisa
Old 10-25-2018, 06:12 PM
mayfisa3342
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:45 PM
rick g
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default The Villages

Originally Posted by Bruze
FWIW, I was never aware that mine flapped around. If it does, it doesn't bother me.

So how is life in The Villages? How long you been there?
We’ve been here three years now, its the best move/thing we’ve done.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:26 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by rick g

We’ve been here three years now, its the best move/thing we’ve done.
Thanks! Attachment 48333511
Old 10-26-2018, 09:09 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Remove it and do a 20% tint on the rear window
Old 10-27-2018, 12:12 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by StKnoWhere
Remove it and do a 20% tint on the rear window
I removed my years ago to wash it but never put it back on.I have limo tint on my window and never driven with the top off...Pros: I can clean the back window without removing it and i can see much better with my rear view mirror.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:35 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C6Whatever

i like your your idea about the top but I can't visualize how you attached the top in your car. If you have any pictures I would love to see them.
Thanks
Lisa
Lisa,
I have finally found the pictures that i took of my process for the rear and top partitions. There has been alot of requests for the DIY process, so I am doing that based on pictures and instructions to be made into a PDF file.
Once I have it completed, I will post in a separate thread titled " Rear and Top partition for C6 coupe, Z06 and ZR1 DIY"
Hopefully you will see it posted in the next few days.
It will answer everyones questions.
Paul
The following 2 users liked this post by 4SUMERZ:
GRCTampa (11-01-2018), Welker1 (10-31-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 02:39 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Please see my new thread on the Rear and Top Partition DIY to answer many questions that I eeceived via PM.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598261361

Quick Reply: Flapping cargo curtain