C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car to sit for two months.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:26 PM
BillytheKidder
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I guess I should have asked:
Do you think the car will start if I leave it unattended for two months? That’s all I care about.

I hear all the comments on here about batteries dying over just a few days. That has not been my experience, but I have never let it sit for two months.

I’m at the airport now anyway, I’ll forget about it until January.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:40 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Has anyone mentioned Changing the oil if you let a Corvette sit for more than a week or two?
Old 11-06-2018, 08:08 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
No you said it right the first time. Especially the people that store it for the winter. It always seems like they brag about it to the point they enjoy storing it more than driving it. I bought my '13 GS new and live in N.Y. I don't have a garage, just a private parking spot and my car sits buried under snow all the time. I have never driven it in snow but it does get snowed on and you know what? My car looks no different for wear than the garaged winter stored ones. Still shines like glass and I haven't waxed it for three years!
The problem with your "brag about storing" statement is simple. Some of these Corvettes are never intended to be daily drivers and are nothing more than something to play with when there's time. I can state that some people brag about letting their car sit all winter snow covered like you should earn a badge of some sort.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:01 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
Unless you cover your car with a weatherproof cover, the sun & elements will take their toll on your car...the paint, interior, etc. there is no way that your car looks "no different" than a garaged car, you are fooling yourself
Wrong! I would put my car against anybody's garage queen after my 6 years of ownership. My interior still looks brand new. 25K on the clock. Here is a pic as of last month.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:46 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Just disconnect the battery and let it sit. Leaving the car sitting for 2 months, the battery is the least of your problems.

Given the scenario, I would do this, but make sure that your key works in the rear first, so when you come back, you can actually get into your car and open the DS door, and then open the hood.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:56 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Adam Cifonelli
My car sits for 4-5 months. I do nothing special but a little more air in tires.. full tank of gas.. the start and let it run for 5-10 mins every few weeks. Sooo many people people here take this storage thing wayyy to seriously.
This is one of the worst things you can do for your car.

Letting it run (idle) for 5-10 minutes periodically, is only going to introduce moisture into the oil (which in turn makes the oil acidic). That amount of run time is not really going to charge the battery, anyway. None of the other fluids (except coolant even get up to temp), so you aren't doing them any favors, either. There is also thought now that storing your Vette with a full tank of gas is not good, because it submerges sensors in the gas which contains sulphur (which is a leading cause of fuel level sender failure.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:30 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6

Letting it run (idle) for 5-10 minutes periodically, is only going to introduce moisture into the oil (which in turn makes the oil acidic). That amount of run time is not really going to charge the battery, anyway. None of the other fluids (except coolant even get up to temp), so you aren't doing them any favors, either. There is also thought now that storing your Vette with a full tank of gas is not good, because it submerges sensors in the gas which contains sulphur (which is a leading cause of fuel level sender failure.
How about the people that are **** and always keep their tank filled. So that would mean don't drive around with a full tank of gas?

Old 11-06-2018, 11:02 PM
GA$$MAN
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Disconnect and leave it in the car.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:08 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
How about the people that are **** and always keep their tank filled. So that would mean don't drive around with a full tank of gas?
She has gas confused with diesel...lol
Old 11-06-2018, 11:24 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
She has gas confused with diesel...lol
I may be confused about a lot of things , but not about gas vs. diesel...lol
Old 11-07-2018, 01:04 AM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

Done what I started for years. No ill effects.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:54 AM
naturaldisaster3
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Just disconnect the battery and let it sit. Leaving the car sitting for 2 months, the battery is the least of your problems.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:06 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

"The battery is the least of your problems".....This seems to suggest that letting your car sit for two months will bring on a multitude of issues?? Care to elaborate on what will happen to a car that sits for only 2 months ?.....Inquiring minds have to know.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:24 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

This thingy about the condensation getting in the oil comes up in this forum quite often. So lets consider this.....if you let your engine run for 10 minutes and shut it off....then there is a certain amount of water....(condensation)....that has gotten into the oil....correct? So that must mean the every time you start you engine that for the first 10 minutes it is...or should be still putting water (condensation) into the oil......would this be correct? But if you run the engine until complete warm up it will get rid of the water that was just put into the oil. So how does this water escape from the engine?......does it sneak by the rings and out he exhaust.......does it separate (oil & water don't mix) and sling off all the moving parts and then evaporate, if so where does it evaporate to ?.....does it exit by steaming off into the PVC system?........help us Mr. Wizard.......
Old 11-07-2018, 11:43 AM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Do whatever you want but if you disconnect it make sure you can use the key in the trunk key slot or you will have trouble getting back in the car when you're ready. Some have trouble with the lock cylinder not working or froze with corrosion.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:51 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by windyC6
........help us Mr. Wizard.......
We don’t need mr wizard, we need our resident expert on all things petroleum to get tagged so he can explain the science behind this.

Unfortunately I don’t remember his name, but IIRC it’s initials and the avatar is a red CTS? Anyone?
Old 11-07-2018, 04:15 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

To prevent theft one could remove the steering wheel...
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (11-08-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Car to sit for two months.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:33 PM
BillytheKidder
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pauly1119
I would be more concerned about leaving my car in Ft Lauderdale for that long.
Why is that?
Old 11-07-2018, 05:56 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 919cw313

We don’t need mr wizard, we need our resident expert on all things petroleum to get tagged so he can explain the science behind this.

Unfortunately I don’t remember his name, but IIRC it’s initials and the avatar is a red CTS? Anyone?
I take opinions from ALL experts in any forum with a grain of salt.....and sometimes I use a big ol salt shaker.....LOL
Old 11-07-2018, 09:59 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

There is a reason Chevy offers "Battery Protection" with Corvette. When my 2013 C6 is in the garage I use the GM battery tender. I have had the Corvette sit for several months on tender with no problems.

Quick Reply: Car to sit for two months.