C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Happy 243 birthday to all my brothers

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 01:05 AM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
what "boot camp" lasts 6 months???
he called it something similar to boot camp, only for new officers. from what i gather, he gets a taste of all the different opportunities as an officer in the marine corps trying to find what field appeals to him the most. but being aviation guaranteed he will just get a feeling for all the different categories.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:57 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleazy Rider
he called it something similar to boot camp, only for new officers. from what i gather, he gets a taste of all the different opportunities as an officer in the marine corps trying to find what field appeals to him the most. but being aviation guaranteed he will just get a feeling for all the different categories.
I know all Marines, except women, go through equivalent basic training and infantry training. Possibly, that is the majority of the 6 months.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:40 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

:Wow! What an opportunity. Congrats! I wish I could go back and do it again.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:31 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I know all Marines, except women, go through equivalent basic training and infantry training. Possibly, that is the majority of the 6 months.
that sounds like a good possibly as the majority of all marines, and officers, are in the infantry and support roles. the few aviation guaranteed officers probably need to get exposure to the 'other side' of the corps.

Originally Posted by bonnell
:Wow! What an opportunity. Congrats! I wish I could go back and do it again.
x2. i had a back seat license for an f4 and that hooked me. initiated my testing to go to ocs and then to flight school at the 3 year mark on my enlistment out of 4. they came back with an offer to go to ocs and then found out the 6 year commitment started after my successful completion of ocs and that flight training was not guaranteed so i declined and got out at the end of my enlistment.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:18 PM
huntfarm
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Happy birthday, Marines!!

We will never forget our time in the Corps! Out of our tiny high school class of forty students, three of us served in the Marines.one as a drummer with the West Coast Marine Band, another as an officer in AmTracs, and myself in the Air Wing. Semper fi.

P. O. Hunt, Sgt, USMC '66-'70
H&MS-16 Avionics, MAG-16, Marble Mountain Air Facility, '67-'68 Vietnam
Old 11-16-2018, 07:43 PM
Powelltc1
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

As a retired Navy Officer who was Marine Corps trained, I love the Marines. The training I got from our Class Drill Instructor in OCS saved my life a couple of times over my career. When I was in AFG I was talking to one of the soldiers getting ready to go out in an MRAP. He said he was going out with some Marines and hated it. I asked him why, and he said when they rode around with soldiers and took incoming fire they would return fire and leave. When they were with the Marines and took incoming fire the Marines would all dismount and chase them. Happy Birthday USMC!

Quick Reply: Happy 243 birthday to all my brothers