C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 02:31 PM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Is that windshield tint actually leagle in your state??
Having your windshield tinted is not legal in any state without a medical release.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:57 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

Yea not legal, but neither is the 15% on the sides haha same ticket.

anything darker then 35% is on cars.. and that looks almost stock.. so if going to be illegal, might as well have it how you want. not like it gets you another ticket.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:02 PM
jhawk127
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A good shop should be able to tint over the dot matrix. It takes time - a lot of time - and skill. My tint guy did a fair job on mine, and 3 years later it still looks good. After the first day, I did have some separation. I went back to him, he carded it out again and gave me the card to work on a bit myself if more showed up. I spent a little time over the following day or two to work out spots. It all looks great today. I don't have a current picture, so I'll try to get one an post later.
I think my guy mentioned using Elmer's clear glue on that part of the glass.
Others have painted or put black vinyl over the dot matrix. Neither were for me, and I definitely didn't want someone sanding on my window! - even with an extremely fine grit.
I have 35% on sides and back (legal limit), but would go darker if I were to do it again - probably 20 or 25% on sides and back. Nothing on windshield, but still makes a HUGE difference during summertime.

I'm in Kansas, but I'm sure you can find someone local. Go to car shows, look at tint jobs on Vettes, and ask around for who others have used for installation.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by jhawk127; 11-14-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:28 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Intresting fact.. on C7 the dot matrix is little bitty C7 logos.. not just dots.

That pic above, is exactly why the black Vinyl kit is the ticket.. I will take apic of mine up close when done correctly. tinting over the dots is not the hard part its making it look correct. and that to me is not correct.

Last edited by mittens; 11-14-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:44 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
28% all round

I'd suspect we went to the same shop. P.J. down on Savannah Hwy?

My guy did it in one piece. Took him a few hours, but he did not sand the dots and the tint came out with no bubbles around them. A really good technician using quality material, given sufficient time can do the hatch just fine without sanding anything. If someone tells you that they have to sand the hatch you should walk away.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:56 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Here is an example of a black out kit done right. Zero bubbles or spots.

Last edited by mittens; 11-14-2018 at 07:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wideglideleon (05-12-2020)
Old 11-14-2018, 06:36 PM
Checkered Past
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
Everything I have is tinted. and dark. For referece the White C7 in my avatar is 15% on side and back and 35% on whole front. that's also same set I have now on my Red C6Z,

my GMC truck is 35% front, 15 Driver sides, and 20 on top of factory rear doors and back.

That being said you need to find a better tint guy... I have had many C6s done and I have seen them heat it to shape it, and also seen them cut the tint, and line it up on the defront lines and you CAN NOT TELL even in side looking out trying to find it.

also the dot matrix I always pay the 25 bucks for the black out kit,,, so they basicly tint that with black vinyl, and tint the car normally, which leaves you a perfectly blacked out dot matix, no bubbles, or clean spots, and perfect tint.
hmm. The black out kit sounds interesting. Do you buy that somewhere or does your tint guy make it? I assume it is attached to the glass on the inside of the window just like the tint? Could you please post a picture or PM me a picture? That would be helpful.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:41 PM
Checkered Past
Instructor

Here is an example of a black out kit don’t right. Zero bubbles or spots.
man that looks good in the pictures. Sorry I posted previously before I got to your pictures. Which side if the glass is the vinyl on?
Old 11-14-2018, 07:42 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

On the inside of coarse. Outside is just glass like normal. But instead of trying to use a tint on the dots, they trim the dot matrix shape exactly with black vinyl. So you have clean blacked out dots, which you never look through or can see in the mirror anyway. And then a clean line that is at the edge of the dots, and then the tint. The tint and vinyl do over lap, but that’s again on the inside and you can’t see. You would have to pop the hatch and look with a light to find the end of the tint like any other edge.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:51 PM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Is that windshield tint actually leagle in your state??
No, it’s not legal but I don’t get messed with. Got a speeding ticket the other day in my DD, a ‘15 Accord Sport with the same 50% windshield, 15% on the front side windows and 5% on the rear and back seat windows, officer didn’t even bring it up.

I did get pulled over once in one of my Mustangs for tint but he told me after he stopped me that he was looking for DUI’s and drugs, the tint only gave him a reason to pull me over.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:48 AM
jhawk127
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That pic above, is exactly why the black Vinyl kit is the ticket.. I will take apic of mine up close when done correctly. tinting over the dots is not the hard part its making it look correct. and that to me is not correct.
I 100% agree with you, which is why I took it back the next day with the intention of making him redo it completely. However, after carding it out, it looks good to me. The key is that it takes time to do it right - and a good tinter should know that. The little circles around the dots are barely noticeable - and overall looks better than the black vinyl...imho. BUT, I will say yours looks really good - and I think the darker tint would make a difference as well. With 15%, I think it blends, but with 35%, it's a noticeable line, and I just didn't care for the other ones I've seen, so went with tint over the dots.

Here's a close up as well as a shot from the rear taken this morning - over 3 years after tint was installed.
The other white specks that you see in the close up are water spots and dust.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:21 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

Asked the dealership that sponsors our club, and sells a ton of Vettes, where they send their cars to be done and took it there. It isn't perfect, but it's pretty darn close.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:05 PM
Checkered Past
Instructor

Thanks for everyone taking the time to comment and post the pictures. It is really helpful. I will let you guys know or post a picture when I decide. I really do like the vinyl idea. Something to certainly think about. Have a good one fellas.

Quick Reply: Window Tint Question