C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best interior sound insulation

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 06:36 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,252 Likes on 916 Posts

Default Best interior sound insulation

Based on experience what is the best product to sound insulate the interior of a C-6 coupe. The interior will be out for a refresh so this would be the best time to do it.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:41 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Are you buying new carpet or reinstalling the OEM?
Old 11-14-2018, 06:59 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

That tire noise from the hatch seems to be the most annoying.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:05 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

The carpet is in very nice shape and I have just put new Michelin ZP run-flats which was a huge improvement over the OEM Goodyears. The hatch acts like an amplifier so we need to kill the sound before it reaches the hatch. I just need to know what is the best product to use while I'm in there.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:54 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Replacing the Goodyears is your first positive step. Do a forum search for Sound Insulating, Exotic Vette, Vettenuts. You will find lots of info. Also realize heat in the console area is another issue (at least for me). I used the Vettenuts kit but have heard very good things about the Exotic Vette product. We removed the interior. Total completion took two days....taking our time. The car is quieter but not great. Never will be. But we have no rattles or squeaks....none. Wife thinks it is quieter so I guess that is good. After market radio sounds better. The heat is what I am after and I can do more to block it out. So we did. This past weekend we removed the exhaust and tunnel plate to gain access to the torque tube area. We installed(cut to size) Design Engineering DEI Floor and Tunnel Shields II from Summit Racing. I drive to Arizona during the summer when it is 110. The car inside the console and footwell area would get HOT. Curious to see the results this summer. Good luck and take your time.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:02 PM
David Brock
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed noico 80 mil throughout the whole car. Helped with sound and heat. The most noticeable difference though came from switching out the run flats with non run flats. It's a completely different car now.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:15 PM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

I used Vibro 2 mil on the cabin floors and doors. 5 mil on the transmission tunnel and hatch. Then I put diamond leather on the floor from firewall to rear bumper. The Goodyear’s are going to replaced with Michelins and I will put fabric on the inner wheel wells.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:51 PM
UH-60DRIVER
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts

Google MLV or mass loaded vinyl. I used a combo on dynamat, MLV and Vette nuts insulation. Very good setup.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:59 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,821 Likes on 4,243 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I did the entire interior with 80 mil Noico sound deadener from amazon, I think $80 got enough to do everything but the doors. I guess it’s quieter although I never thought it was loud to begin with (a ‘16 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with BFG mud terrains is my daily). Took me & my 16 yr old son a few hours.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by grady
I used Vibro 2 mil on the cabin floors and doors. 5 mil on the transmission tunnel and hatch. Then I put diamond leather on the floor from firewall to rear bumper. The Goodyear’s are going to replaced with Michelins and I will put fabric on the inner wheel wells.
That reminds me. The Vettenuts kit also included the doors which I did. That made the stereo system "stronger".
Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I did the entire interior with 80 mil Noico sound deadener from amazon, I think $80 got enough to do everything but the doors. I guess it’s quieter although I never thought it was loud to begin with (a ‘16 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with BFG mud terrains is my daily). Took me & my 16 yr old son a few hours.

What was the end result? Noticeable difference or only marginal? I'm looking for something that provides a good reduction in the road noise if going to this much effort.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:30 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,821 Likes on 4,243 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
What was the end result? Noticeable difference or only marginal? I'm looking for something that provides a good reduction in the road noise if going to this much effort.
Like I mentioned, I didn’t think it was loud to begin with so I honestly couldn’t say. I’m sure it is some degree better than without. I had the seats out putting new foam & skin on so the few hours to lay this all down was no big deal.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:08 AM
megan.andrews
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very much disappointing!
it's too much annoying as greeting noise from tires. though i have inform seller in this issue but they conclude solution for me.

hope so, will get absolute feedback next ahead.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:11 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I completely did my coupe interior with the vette nut kit, and it helped a bit. The biggest difference was replacing the GY Rf F1 tires for sure.
Most of the road noise comes from the rear wheels, so I removed the rear inner liners, and installed extra insulation in that void area, replacing the bag of insulation from the factory with added insulation. That did reduce the noise, but not as much I had anticipated.
My last effort was to try to isolate the rear hatch area from the cabin in an effort to keep any noise coming into the rear hatch area from escaping to the front.
I followed a DIY from jost6453 and built a rear partition out of 1" foam board, and added a top partition in the hatch window area, which fits firmly on top of the rear partition when the hatch is closed. That did further reduce the road noise from the rear, and also improved the rear speaker sound.
Here is the DIY thread that I started on this project.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...artitions.html

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 11-22-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:52 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 587 Posts

There was also a thread where on member injected expanding foam into the hatch itself. He claimed it made a significant difference.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:42 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
There was also a thread where on member injected expanding foam into the hatch itself. He claimed it made a significant difference.
That would be the ed of stowing the targa top in the rear to go topless. At least with mine, I can still stow the top without removing any of the partitions, rear or top one.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 11-15-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

I have a 2011 Grand Sport for the past month and put a new set of Michelin Super Sports on it to replace the absolutely awful factory Badyears. Made noticeable difference in sound.

Not long after I had purchased my 2002 Z06 last year, I installed a partition to separate the trunk area and I also installed a Vette Nuts insulation kit. Made a HUGE difference in sound. Much more comfortable. The Vette Nuts kit is nice because it is all pre-cut.

Get notified of new replies

To Best interior sound insulation

Old 11-16-2018, 09:48 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

After looking at several posts and doing some internet research it looks like the various offerings by Dynamat may be at the top of the list for full interior liners. The drawback with Dynamite is the higher cost. The next possibility is using Noico sound deadner from Amazon. Noico gets good marks and is about 40% less expensive than Dynamat but Noico is reported to sometimes have a "rubbery" smell in hot weather. Both have very good reviews and using multiple layers on some areas are reported to work well. In the end since this is a one time project maybe the Dynamat would be the way to go even though it is more expensive. Thanks to all who posted on this.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:19 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
That would be the ed of stowing the targa top in the rear to go topless. At least with mine, I can still stow the top without removing any of the partitions, rear or top one.
Not under the hatch, inside the hatch there are large voids that he filled with foam.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:30 PM
BigBlok502
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
After looking at several posts and doing some internet research it looks like the various offerings by Dynamat may be at the top of the list for full interior liners. The drawback with Dynamite is the higher cost. The next possibility is using Noico sound deadner from Amazon. Noico gets good marks and is about 40% less expensive than Dynamat but Noico is reported to sometimes have a "rubbery" smell in hot weather. Both have very good reviews and using multiple layers on some areas are reported to work well. In the end since this is a one time project maybe the Dynamat would be the way to go even though it is more expensive. Thanks to all who posted on this.
I did the Noico like JABCAT did, in addition I added the Noico Mass Loaded Vinyl on top of it. I would estimate the road noise level was reduced 30%, and the heat in the center console cut in half, and IMHO was well worth the time and expense. BTW, no rubber smell whatsoever.

Quick Reply: Best interior sound insulation