C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro SS vs LS engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Shelstin
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Camaro SS vs LS engine

I am not a motorhead. I have posted on here asking questions about the C6. I have a 2013 Camaro SS. What is the difference in that engine vs a LS2/3 engine. I think I was putting out 400 HP before a cold air kit. Personally, I have all of the motor I need in the Camaro, but the C6 is still calling my name.
This a different issue, but I haven't been able to make a deal on several that I have tried on. It seems like the salesman and I have come to an agreement, then a sales manager won't approve the deal. That kind of crap pisses me off, to say the least. I also need to add that this is all by text and phone call, and I haven't actually sat in an office closing a deal. I understand that would make a difference, but we are not even close on my end. In addition, I can't seem to get a salesman to give me a call back from several online inquiries. I'm about to say the hell with it, because I know the history of my car, and I haven't had a single issue with it in 37,000 miles. I see a Vette online for a few months, and I think they would want to move it, but I guess that Vette sales are a different animal. I can wait.

Last edited by Shelstin; 12-03-2018 at 10:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rdj (01-08-2019)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:56 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Yeah, it makes a difference being there and both seeing and driving the car, THEN negotiate. Maybe you did that but it wasn't clear. I've always made out best (and paid what I wanted to pay) after I had a chance to drive and look the car over. If/when I made an offer it was based on legitimate issues I might have seen with the car. I've always paid cash for all my cars, so after the testing/looking, I take out a checkbook and let the SP know I am ready to write out a check for "this" amount. It very much changes the dynamic with the "Sales Manager's meeting".

On the other hand, as a seller, whenever I received a call (or text or email) from someone asking if I would "take" some amount lower than my advertised price, I always reply back FULL PRICE. I do that BC I cannot accept a buyer is seriously offering to buy it sight unseen...only if they could have it at their lower price? Think about that dynamic for a minute and what if I did say yes? Then they come look at the car, find there are things they do not like and what? Begin renegotiating now at the already established lower price?

Last edited by BlindSpot; 12-03-2018 at 10:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlindSpot:
Andysherman (01-09-2019), Shelstin (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Doons
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot

On the other hand, as a seller, whenever I received a call (or text or email) from someone asking if I would "take" some amount lower than my advertised price, I always reply back FULL PRICE. I do that BC I cannot accept a buyer is seriously offering to buy it sight unseen...only if they could have it at their lower price? Think about that dynamic for a minute and what if I did say yes? Then they come look at the car, find there are things they do not like and what? Begin renegotiating now at the already established lower price?
Old 12-03-2018, 11:23 AM
ssg10587
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts

Camaros are hell of a car too, but Id personally go with the corvette. I like the styling much better and the visibility on the camaros is a nightmare. The C6 had the LS2 until 2007 I think and then the LS3 came along until the C7. Pretty sure your car has the LS3. I have a 2005 LS2 and am very much enjoying.

There is about a 30 hp and torque difference between the two but the corvette is also a bit lighter. Performance would be somewhat improved on the C6 vette, accel and handling wise.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:27 AM
Shelstin
Instructor

BS (sorry, couldn't resist ), I agree 100%. But, since I live in BFE, it is a minimum of 4 or 5 hours to get to an urban area. Denver is 6 hours, Dallas is 9, Wichita is 4, etc. I want something working before I get there. My brother has had numerous Vettes, including a nice C6 that I liked a lot.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:29 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Shelstin
BS (sorry, couldn't resist ), I agree 100%. But, since I live in BFE, it is a minimum of 4 or 5 hours to get to an urban area. Denver is 6 hours, Dallas is 9, Wichita is 4, etc. I want something working before I get there. My brother has had numerous Vettes, including a nice C6 that I liked a lot.
Egypt is actually a nice place to live....sorry, I couldn't resist either...LOL.
Shelstin (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Shelstin
Instructor

Originally Posted by ssg10587
Camaros are hell of a car too, but Id personally go with the corvette. I like the styling much better and the visibility on the camaros is a nightmare. The C6 had the LS2 until 2007 I think and then the LS3 came along until the C7. Pretty sure your car has the LS3. I have a 2005 LS2 and am very much enjoying.

There is about a 30 hp and torque difference between the two but the corvette is also a bit lighter. Performance would be somewhat improved on the C6 vette, accel and handling wise.
I agree that the visibility in the Camaro is absurd. Without a back up camera, it's just almost impossible to see anything backing out of a parking space. I am not a guy that pushes a car hard, but if I want to pass, I want to pass NOW! I don't think I would see a noticeable difference with either motor or vehicle, at least for my use.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:40 AM
ssg10587
Racer

I agree that the visibility in the Camaro is absurd. Without a back up camera, it's just almost impossible to see anything backing out of a parking space. I am not a guy that pushes a car hard, but if I want to pass, I want to pass NOW! I don't think I would see a noticeable difference with either motor or vehicle, at least for my use.
Yeah I definitely would recommend keeping an eye out.

To me the differences and why I'd personally do it would be styling, features and visibility. What I've liked is the digital psi monitor for tires and the heads up display as well. C6 has a ton of readouts too for trans temp, oil temp, etc. which I really like. Assuming SS has that but no clue.

Only thing camaro has going for it, to me, is back seats.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:46 AM
Shelstin
Instructor

Yeah I definitely would recommend keeping an eye out.

To me the differences and why I'd personally do it would be styling, features and visibility. What I've liked is the digital psi monitor for tires and the heads up display as well. C6 has a ton of readouts too for trans temp, oil temp, etc. which I really like. Assuming SS has that but no clue.

Only thing camaro has going for it, to me, is back seats.
I like the HUD, PSI monitor (especially since I don't have run flats), heated seats, back up camera and bluetooth capability in my SS. I don't want to lose that. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I need a 2009 or newer 3LT?
Old 12-03-2018, 11:50 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,821 Likes on 4,243 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I also need to add that this is all by text and phone call, and I haven't actually sat in an office closing a deal. I understand that would make a difference, but we are not even close on my end. In addition, I can't seem to get a salesman to give me a call back from several online inquiries.
I haven't negotiated a vehicle purchase in person in well over 10 years. I don't waste my time going into a dealership & dealing with the back & forth of "what do you want to pay per month", "let me get my manager to approve this deal" etc. It's all a gimmick to get you emotionally attached to the car so you won't leave without buying it. If I find a car I want, either new or used, I contact the internet sales manager and deal strictly with him/her. I also research the car's value including all options on multiple online sights & determine how much I want to pay for it determined on the condition of the car when I finally decide to check it out. If the dealership agrees, I then schedule an appointment, have my financing already approved by my bank or credit union & I tell the dealership to have all paperwork ready when I arrive.

I then show up, drive the car, give it a full inspection if need be (used car) & if all is agreeable, sign the papers and leave. I never spend more than 45-min to an hour max at the dealership because my time is valuable. Like I said, I've been purchasing cars this way for well over 10 years. I purchased my Grand Sport this way as well as every new car I've owned & I never deal with salesmen, I only deal with the Managers.
Shelstin (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 11:53 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

There aren't many differences in the LS3 between the Corvette and the Camaro. It's only like 5hp and 5tq. The BIG difference is weight. 700+ lbs is a HUGE difference.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:24 PM
Shelstin
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
There aren't many differences in the LS3 between the Corvette and the Camaro. It's only like 5hp and 5tq. The BIG difference is weight. 700+ lbs is a HUGE difference.
That's not something that I would probably notice a lot, but that's true. I am just to the point in my life where I want what I want. I'm 62, by credit is the best it's ever been at around 840, and I can pretty much get what I want. I know that most of us are probably in the same boat. I haven't had a Vette since I was 23, and it's time again!
Old 12-03-2018, 02:52 PM
ssg10587
Racer

I like the HUD, PSI monitor (especially since I don't have run flats), heated seats, back up camera and bluetooth capability in my SS. I don't want to lose that. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I need a 2009 or newer 3LT?
I have all of those except backup camera and bluetooth in my 2005. I'm not sure what year they added those two.

Cheap to add them in aftermarket so thats what I ended up doing.

Last edited by ssg10587; 12-03-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:56 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

I have all of those except backup camera and bluetooth in my 2005. I'm not sure what year they added those two.

Cheap to add them in aftermarket so thats what I ended up doing.
Those didn't really show up until 2014. But an aftermarket head-unit and camera would fix it really easy.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:16 PM
cal45
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
......or if the '13 Camaro SS is automatic. It will have a L99 motor rated at 400HP.

rdj (01-08-2019)
Old 12-03-2018, 08:58 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If your Camaro is an auto trans then it is L99+400 HP, if it's a stick then it's LS3+426 HP. You will notice the difference in weight between Camaro and 'vette more than you're thinking the first time you get on it. I think the '13 SS Camaro is the best of the 5th gen with the combination of features (suspension, backup cam., touch screen, electric power steering) while still retaining the original 5th gen styling. The LS3 Camaro is a fun car but not a 'vette, good luck in your search.
Shelstin (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:28 PM
GRCTampa
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 96 Posts

In April 2017 I took a very low mileage 2013 AcuraTL in for an oil change at the dealership. On a lark I test drove a just traded in 2013 Camaro SS while I was waiting. It was an automatic. The sales person kept saying it had the same engine as a Corvette. The car was quick off the line and had plenty of power but I did not care for the interior or the visibility issues. After the test drive and one more “ it has the same engine as a Corvette “ I responded with but it’s not a Corvette is it? Lo and behold they bring a 2011C6 2LT with an M6 over from their Jaguar lot down the street. I’ve been enjoying it as my daily driver since. A great car to drive and easy to live with around town. Keep searching, the right Corvette and the right deal is out there. Good luck!
Shelstin (12-04-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Camaro SS vs LS engine

Old 12-03-2018, 09:44 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
When I shopped for my car, I did exactly that and sent the seller a text asking if he would take (x) amount. He countered and I declined but then I called him and we finished negotiating over the phone and agreed on a price. The price was conditional on seeing the car, so if the car wasn't as advertised I would just walk. In this case the car was as promised and the deal went through without issue. My point is don't always dismiss a text or e-mail as not being a serious buyer. I have made that mistake myself at times and then someone I don't think is serious always seems to surprise me.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:29 PM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 150 Posts

I have purchased ALL of my vehicles over the phone/email. Cash and Finance are the same thing to the dealer. Actually, they prefer finance because they get a commission on the finance deal (the back end). Find your car, make it known you are the buyer, make the deal on your terms. There is no concern in admitting you really want the car. You wouldn’t be talking to them if you didn’t. No point in hiding it. Use it to your advantage. When you walk away, they will call you. You just need to be willing to walk.

Know your price point before starting and stick to it. GL.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:54 AM
Mlcharlestonsc
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

When we bought ours, we put $1000 down good faith money on a CC that way they would know we were serious. Now days there is not much wiggle room on price maybe origination fee or prep fee that pays the sales man so they may or may not play with those numbers. The price posted on internet is their rock bottom. So expect to pay within a few hundred of marked sale price. A lot of time needs to pass before they drop price by thousands. So save your searches and check back often, but more than likely you'll miss out on the sale.

Quick Reply: Camaro SS vs LS engine