C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do kids still love seeing corvettes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 03:42 PM
VinceBlack
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 67 Posts

Young kids (ages 5-13) certainly still like Corvettes, just like they did when I was that age. I cannot tell you how many times over the past 9 months that I've walked out of the gym or grocery store and seen parents taking pictures of their kids standing next my car. It's awesome to see.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:13 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jimijam
That was then. Now is kids saying "That motherf##ing a**hole doesn't deserve to have a car like that. It's not fair! I am entitled to have what he has and the government should give it to me."
Lol and how many kids have said this exact line to you? Sounds like it's more your perception and distaste for younger ones than an accurate representation of reality.

As to OPs question, I love it when kids look at my car. I can see them through their car windows or walking on the sidewalk. I was that kid once. I always give them a rev or launch when I see them looking.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:40 PM
Rfruth0504
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigEC6
Great looking Vette! The winter here hasn't been bad so far. We haven't had much snow at all, knock on wood. It is supposed to be unseasonably warm the next couple weeks. Heck, it's 50 degrees and sunny out right now. For January, I'll take it!
I agree. It has been really mild so far, but I have a feeling that is going to change too.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:09 PM
Bowtie Jim
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

To answer the original question I think some kids do like them . But I think most kids could care less. The ones that like them probably have a Dad or uncle that has a cool car. Maybe not a Vette . But a Camaro😁😁😁😁
Sorry I couldn't resist😎
Old 01-05-2019, 03:59 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie Jim
To answer the original question I think some kids do like them . But I think most kids could care less. The ones that like them probably have a Dad or uncle that has a two-seat sports car. Maybe not a Vette. But a 4-passenger family sedan like a Camaro or Mustang. 😁😁😁😁
Sorry I couldn't resist😎
Fixed!
Old 01-06-2019, 08:43 AM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

Well my kid loves mine. I guess that what matters most. Yes, most do for the most part around here.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:02 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by BigEC6
You as well as several others have mentioned the devices that are distracting young people. Unfortunately, this is very true. Heck, just this morning I was leaving my neighborhood when a young woman in a Toyota RAV4 ran a stop sign and turned left directly in front of me. If I hadn't been driving defensively and anticipating her doing something stupid, she would have smashed right into me. As it was, I avoided the collision by only a few feet. The kicker? You guessed it. She was looking down at her phone the entire time. She never saw me.
Yea....stories like yours can be written every day. And we as a country still won't do anything about it. Of course the OP was directed more towards kids (I think...LOL), but the problem with the younger kids that are stuffing their heads in a device is that they are the drivers of tomorrow !!.....

Last edited by windyC6; 01-07-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:54 PM
Chris J
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Love this story. When I was a young boy there was a dentist who lived at the end of the road we lived on. He had a white 1963 split window. We lived in a rural area and knew all our neighbors, but the dentist was one who kept very much to him self. Even his children were not really involved with the rest of the kids. I remember every time I saw that car drive by, especially if I was fortunate enough to be outside and better yet close to the road it gave me a feeling I remember to this day. It was the most impressive vehicle I had ever seen and that feeling was exhilarating. I would stop whatever It was doing a run towards the road so I could be close to the car as it past by. This went on for a long time, and one day the car stopped and the dentist who was usually very privet stopped, asked if I would like to go for a ride in his corvette. I thought I had to be dreaming but blurted out a "yes please". He told me to ask my parents if it was OK, I ran to our house and to my delight my mom said yes that's fine! I remember getting in that car it had a black interior and I felt like I was in a spaceship. We didn't go far probably 3 or 4 miles and we didn't go fast but to this day I think that is the best car ride I have ever had. When we were done as I was getting out of the car I remember thanking him and telling him I hoped some day I would own a corvette to. When ever I see a child looking at my car it always takes me back to that 63 split window and I try to spend a little time with them if possible.
Chris
The following users liked this post:
The Clevite Kid (01-07-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 03:12 PM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Some kids do, but I don't think as much as when I was that age (68 now). Today most kids don't even care about having a driver's license which seems crazy to me. All I cared about at that age was being old enough to drive legally and taking some girl's clothes off -- and the two kinda went together.
Me, too. Oh, I guess that is the wrong thing to say.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:26 PM
BigEC6
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris J
Love this story. When I was a young boy there was a dentist who lived at the end of the road we lived on. He had a white 1963 split window. We lived in a rural area and knew all our neighbors, but the dentist was one who kept very much to him self. Even his children were not really involved with the rest of the kids. I remember every time I saw that car drive by, especially if I was fortunate enough to be outside and better yet close to the road it gave me a feeling I remember to this day. It was the most impressive vehicle I had ever seen and that feeling was exhilarating. I would stop whatever It was doing a run towards the road so I could be close to the car as it past by. This went on for a long time, and one day the car stopped and the dentist who was usually very privet stopped, asked if I would like to go for a ride in his corvette. I thought I had to be dreaming but blurted out a "yes please". He told me to ask my parents if it was OK, I ran to our house and to my delight my mom said yes that's fine! I remember getting in that car it had a black interior and I felt like I was in a spaceship. We didn't go far probably 3 or 4 miles and we didn't go fast but to this day I think that is the best car ride I have ever had. When we were done as I was getting out of the car I remember thanking him and telling him I hoped some day I would own a corvette to. When ever I see a child looking at my car it always takes me back to that 63 split window and I try to spend a little time with them if possible.
Chris
Great story. Thank you for sharing it. You are proof that just taking a little extra time and kindness can make all the difference. And with a '63 split window. Wow. The original American Idol!
Chris J (01-09-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 11:02 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 229 Posts

I pulled out in front of my store the other day and a youngster ( guessing 5-7) stopped his mom and made her wait while I backed out. He also waved at me as I went by. I waved back to a huge smile form kid and his mom.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:30 PM
2nd chance
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris J
Chris
When I was 10/11 yrs old I had a neighborhood afternoon paper route. One of my customers brothers owned a 73 coupe which I ended up going for a ride in.The love for these cars can starts at a young an impressible age.
Chris J (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 07:04 PM
OneBadLT123
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Just this past weekend I had two kids admire my car. One at a gas station with their dad. He wanted to get a picture in front of it and of course I let him. He was 12 years old. Another I was at a stop light and the car next to me had a kid in the back seat. He waved and said I like your car with eyes of stars.

I remember being that kid back in the day. So of course I interact with them just like others have for myself when I was that age. Its why I love these cars to this day.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:06 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

I often get a 'thumbs up' from a 'kid' when I'm driving around the 'hood' in my vette. Never in the Subaru or Fit, so I have to figure it's the car. But more to the point, our club sponsors this event: http://corvettesforkids.com/ I'm glad we get to support this cause, because the doctors say it seems to make a difference in the kids' lives.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:19 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,956 Likes on 942 Posts

I remember my very first car show that I entered, and tons of kids would come up to the car and say how cool it was... If the kids were nice and respectful I always let them sit in the car, and have their parents take a picture of them in it...they would smile from ear to ear. Im shocked when I hear some of these guys at shows tell kids to step away from the cars... Now there are a few kids who's parents dont tell their kids to respect the car and put their hands all over it...that's not cool - but I blame the parents for not teaching their kids how to respect someone else's things.

The best experience ever - I was driving through my development and drove past a field where kids play football, soccer, etc. There was about 12 young boys playing, and one of them saw me coming, they all ran to the curb, and everyone of them were waving and whistling...I waved back and revved the engine and they went nuts...I mean how cool is that?

This is the next generation of "car enthusiasts" fellas - show them how to love Corvettes and they will never forget it.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:35 AM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I get more comments driving my beat up Subaru WRX. Its slightly lifted with gold rally rims. Most times they just want to hear the blow off valve go PPPPSSSSSHHHH. They get even more excited when the exhaust pops and fireballs shoot out.

I get looks in the corvette, but most people i feel "glare" as i look quite young and they think i paid 70k for this thing and I most likely am some rich *****, when in reality, the SUV you bought is twice as expensive.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:53 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by koreanbeefcake
I get more comments driving my beat up Subaru WRX. Its slightly lifted with gold rally rims. Most times they just want to hear the blow off valve go PPPPSSSSSHHHH. They get even more excited when the exhaust pops and fireballs shoot out.

I get looks in the corvette, but most people i feel "glare" as i look quite young and they think i paid 70k for this thing and I most likely am some rich *****, when in reality, the SUV you bought is twice as expensive.
A Subaru WRX !!!! Must be a joke.....whad ya do....by it "For Love"......

Get notified of new replies

To Do kids still love seeing corvettes?

Old 01-10-2019, 11:04 AM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Passing the school bus stop in the morning that my son waits at, the kids were drop jawed, pointing as I drove by.
My son told me later that he said "that's my dad" and one other kid that didn't believe him said, "no it's not, it's the mayor"

That made me chuckle. The mayor does live just around the corner. It's pretty funny some kid assumed I had to be the mayor because my car is cool.
koreanbeefcake (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:39 AM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
A Subaru WRX !!!! Must be a joke.....whad ya do....by it "For Love"......
in 2002 it was one of the hottest cars you could buy. with coilovers and good tires, it handles as well as the corvette. Plus it call pull a trailer one day, and go to the track the next. Hell, at one point, i was laid off around the 2008 crisis and lived out of the car for a month.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,956 Likes on 942 Posts

In 2002 - this was the "hottest" car money could buy...just sayin

Quick Reply: Do kids still love seeing corvettes?