C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Radio, Sat Radio antenna location

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 03:36 PM
Andydp
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Aftermarket Radio, Sat Radio antenna location

I haven't been here for a while so forgive me if this is the Xth repeat of the same question.

I'm bringing my 2006 ZO6 radio into the 21st century. The radio will have Sat radio capability. I have the subscription already, plus Pandora.

I want to get a bit better sat reception than I get now with the antenna in one of the side mirrors. If you have an aftermarket sat radio installed, where did you locate the new antenna ?
Please note: "On the roof" is NOT an option. I have heard of the antenna being placed under the center grille above the speaker. I have personally seen an antenna installed in the engine area by the front cowl near the A/C intake. (Looked like it was glued on). If you have used any other areas feel free to give some suggestions.

I'm not installing a "super" system, all I'm doing is swapping the current OEM radio with a new one.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-19-2019, 08:55 PM
JacksAO
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

When I installed a Kenwood with nav and XM radio I removed the center speaker and installed both antennas where the center speaker was and everything worked great. My car is a 2006 base vette.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:09 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksAO
When I installed a Kenwood with nav and XM radio I removed the center speaker and installed both antennas where the center speaker was and everything worked great. My car is a 2006 base vette.
Me too.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:26 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Yep. you can mount it on the top of the duct work above the radio, but below the dash top.

If you want to add a second one in, then inside the rear bumper cover, and pull one of the rear tail lights to get inside that void area.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:27 PM
jopper
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I located my XM antenna in the rear of the car. I pulled the carpet away from the rear wall of the bucket about even with the license plate and used 3M tape to locate it there. It is. short run from where the actual Xm receiver is located behind the driver and above the wheel. As you know the car does not have a metal skin so to the satellite signal it might as well be transparent...... It has worked well for me and I am using the factory nav radio.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:12 AM
Njttz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't want to hijack this thread, but to those who have added a new or additional receiver - did you notice improved reception as a result?

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Radio, Sat Radio antenna location

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radio, Sat Radio antenna location