C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 with 3,500 miles $

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 12:17 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath

Let’s play “Spot the guy who believes his plastic car is worth more than it is.” I’m undefeated.

Undefeated at being full of ****....Its a Corvette not a Vega.
The following 2 users liked this post by hawkgfr:
cadyshac (02-06-2019), ShagVette (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 03:30 PM
pdac
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I just priced out a well equipped 2006 in excellent condition on KBB and I am getting completely different numbers. Shows trade in value between $20-22.8k, while private sale value is shown $22.8-25.8k.

As someone who has traded many cars in at dealerships, I personally don't feel like KBB is a great source. I'm sure there are people who will claim that they get the KBB value on their cars when they trade them in, but I've never even gotten close. It's not that I'm getting ripped off either. I often see dealerships (and Carmax) selling cars for less than what KBB has listed as the trade in value. For example, KBB shows a trade in value of my car (2012 GS 1lt) in "Good Condition" for around $32k but a quick search for a used one shows that 32k is more than what these cars are even selling for. No dealership is going to buy your car for more than the true market value.
I think the accuracy of KBB has greatly diminished over the years.
Just my opinion.

Last edited by pdac; 02-06-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:08 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by pdac
As someone who has traded many cars in at dealerships, I personally don't feel like KBB is a great source. I'm sure there are people who will claim that they get the KBB value on their cars when they trade them in, but I've never even gotten close. It's not that I'm getting ripped off either. I often see dealerships (and Carmax) selling cars for less than what KBB has listed as the trade in value. For example, KBB shows a trade in value of my car (2012 GS 1lt) in "Good Condition" for around $32k but a quick search for a used one shows that 32k is more than what these cars are even selling for. No dealership is going to buy your car for more than the true market value.
I think the accuracy of KBB has greatly diminished over the years.
Just my opinion.
You have to be willing to fight for your trade in just like you do on the purchasing price of the new car. Dealers try to low ball your trade in so they can send it to auction for a quick profit. Through my experience, if you trade in your car and the dealer doesn't put it for sale with their used cars on their lot, then you didn't get fair value for your trade in. I always use KBB for trade in value and have always seemed to get it but it never came easy. And this was even after getting as much as 20% off of the sticker price on a couple of different new cars. I'm not going to speak for it's accuracy on every model but I always found KBB to be a helpful tool.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:46 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

I just priced out a well equipped 2006 in excellent condition on KBB and I am getting completely different numbers. Shows trade in value between $20-22.8k, while private sale value is shown $22.8-25.8k.

Did you use your zip code, or the zip code where the car and the OP are?
Old 02-06-2019, 07:17 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jimijam
How much of a difference do you think there would be? Regional prices are way overblown, the internet has made the marketplace huge and relatively even.
(Waiting for anecdotal evidence to the contrary)
Old 02-06-2019, 07:24 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 919cw313
How much of a difference do you think there would be? Regional prices are way overblown, the internet has made the marketplace huge and relatively even.
(Waiting for anecdotal evidence to the contrary)
A Vette is SoCal brings a higher price in January than the same exact Vette in ND. In SoCal, the car can be driven off the lot with the top off. In ND, the car will have to be trailered home and parked in the garage for 4 more months before it can be driven. Waiting for you to tell me this is overblown. Using your logic, housing prices by region are also way overblown because of Zillow.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:27 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

I changed zips to 3 locations, and it only varied a couple hundred.

KBB is not too far off what the real market is. This 06 with such low miles is well worth it.

If the OP doesn't buy it for $23k or whatever they could agree on, then they should post the info so someone else can.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:35 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ShagVette
I changed zips to 3 locations, and it only varied a couple hundred.
Make sure you use Bismarck and Los Angeles...
Old 02-06-2019, 07:47 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by anflyer
Thanks all, will let you know how it goes.
Anflyer
Best of luck!!
The following users liked this post:
anflyer (02-07-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 08:47 PM
Prewoz
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by anflyer
They are asking $24k. I'm waiting for her to send me the window sticker to see the options list.

Thanks,
Adrian
i paid 21k for a 2006 with 51k miles. KBB was 23-25k at the time based on condition/mileage. Nada was like 18k. So I’d say 24k is probably a really good price with only 3500 miles on it. Unless it has a salvage title or something I would think really hard about it at that price.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:10 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Full disclosure, i used my zip code and I added a couple options to the car since the OP states its a 3lt with nav. I also chose red as the color when asked. Not sure what color the OP’s car is or if it matters. The numbers are ball park values, but they should be close nation wide. If someone finds a large variation based on location please let us know.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:12 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by owc6
My greatest concern is that it hasn't been driven enough.

Seals dry out; that's a fact. Be prepared to address these if you buy it.

As a ballpark number, 15K miles seems to be about the end of infancy failures. I've only bought new cars for the last 25 years, and most problems happen early. If I were buying used, I'd feel better with something driven 5K per year, than something rarely used.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:21 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Full disclosure, i used my zip code and I added a couple options to the car since the OP states its a 3lt with nav. I also chose red as the color when asked. Not sure what color the OP’s car is or if it matters. The numbers are ball park values, but they should be close nation wide. If someone finds a large variation based on location please let us know.C1 Parts & Accessories
The first problem you are having is your assumption that KBB is an accurate representation of true market value. It's not, and others above have clearly stated this. I personally use several tools to arrive at a much more accurate market value. Blackbook, KBB, NADA, Edmunds, Car Gurus, AutoTrader, Ebay.......free your mind, the rest will follow.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:24 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

The first problem you are having is your assumption that KBB is an accurate representation of true market value. It's not, and others above have clearly stated this. I personally use several tools to arrive at a much more accurate market value. Blackbook, KBB, NADA, Edmunds, Car Gurus, AutoTrader, Ebay.......free your mind, the rest will follow.
Jim, no offense but I have no problem other than you are an idiot. Where did I imply or state that KBB was an accurate representation of true market value? And if it is or isn't, is a matter of opinion. And when you say "others have clearly stated this", who are these others and what are their credentials? It's all opinions. Please don't try to pass off your opinion as factual information. In fact in my post in regards to KBB, I wrote "I'm not going to speak for it's accuracy on every model but I always found KBB to be a helpful tool". When I say "tool", I mean one of many. And when I said "accuracy", it was in reference to car values. I am not a KBB fanboy and I never stated or implied that KBB was the end all be all. And when you say "free your mind", you may need to reign yours in a little, since you seem to be jumping to conclusions that are not accurate nor implied.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:35 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

lol I see your bet and I raise you “ no one in their right mind is spending 23k on a 13 year old Chevrolet “ (I even rounded it down)
Well, if we used this logic, how much is a 50 or 60 year old Corvette worth? Or how about a 50 year old Chevy Nova, or Chevelle, or even a pick up? Probably all worthless by now.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:55 AM
BackInBlack05
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

KBB with every possible option selected, completely flawless condition says it’s worth $19.7k. Corvette owners are silly. Offer $18k.
My napkin math came out with $20K. <4K Vettes aren't real common, so I might add 10% and not a penny more.

I think the LS2 is a fine engine, but the LS3 and some of the concurrent interior refinements are desired by the market.

When comparing similar cars, $1K per year and 10 cents per mile depreciation works out quite well.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:09 AM
pdac
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

You have to be willing to fight for your trade in just like you do on the purchasing price of the new car. Dealers try to low ball your trade in so they can send it to auction for a quick profit. Through my experience, if you trade in your car and the dealer doesn't put it for sale with their used cars on their lot, then you didn't get fair value for your trade in. I always use KBB for trade in value and have always seemed to get it but it never came easy. And this was even after getting as much as 20% off of the sticker price on a couple of different new cars. I'm not going to speak for it's accuracy on every model but I always found KBB to be a helpful tool.
I mean you can fight with the dealer all you want for the KBB price on your trade but the bottom line is that there is no way a dealership is going to pay you more for your car than they can sell it for. So if KBB shows my trade in at $32k (good condition) and dealerships is selling similar cars for $32k or less, basic math tells me that I am not going to get KBB 'Market Value" for my car.

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 with 3,500 miles $

Old 02-07-2019, 11:37 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

I mean you can fight with the dealer all you want for the KBB price on your trade but the bottom line is that there is no way a dealership is going to pay you more for your car than they can sell it for. So if KBB shows my trade in at $32k (good condition) and dealerships is selling similar cars for $32k or less, basic math tells me that I am not going to get KBB 'Market Value" for my car.
KBB is only useful if the dealer sells at KBB as well. You cant expect to buy a car under kbb and trade in at kbb or below.

There are a lot of dealers that do KBB. Your particular example isnt one, but if you looked at other dealers it wouldnt ne the same.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:43 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

To each their own. The dealership makes money somewhere. The accounting that goes into a dealership making money on a transaction or not, is a lot more complicated than they bought a car for (x) and then need to sell it for (x)+y. Way too many variables go into it for a dealership for you to make it that simple. I always use KBB for trade in and always get it on my trade in. Dealerships will argue and try and show me why my car is worth less than I am asking. I find that dealerships will waste a lot of my time but in the end they always come around and my time was money in my pocket.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:11 PM
anflyer
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't realize my question on pricing would create such controversy. I confirmed that the 2006 is a fully optioned 3LT (heads up display, nav, etc.). Agreed on $23k. Will let you know more details when I see it on Sunday.

Anflyer

Quick Reply: 2006 with 3,500 miles $