C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenwood DNX9960

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 02:23 PM
ttboyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Kenwood DNX9960

Anyone have thoughts on the head unit Kenwood DNX9960?

I just purchased a car with this stereo in it. I tried doing some research and can't find much good. This was supposed to be a top of the line unit back in 2011 but all I keep finding is negative things..... Is it that bad? I mostly just want to listen to music and rock out with it.

Anyone have imput on this unit?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2019, 03:41 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

That unit came out in or around 2010. So the tech and design is about 9 years old. There have been some notable improvements in the double din market since the 9960 was available. But it all comes down to what features are important to you. There have been improvements to the operating system, improved screens, additional features like apple carplay and android auto, improved load and start up times and touch response, etc. If it was mine, I would probably look to upgrade. But that's me. If it's still working well and you are fine with it's performance, I say keep it. If you want to take advantage of some of the newer tech and features, it might be worth it to upgrade.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:36 PM
ttboyvette
Burning Brakes

Hey Fred, Thanks for the knowledge. what model or models would you recommend?
Old 03-22-2019, 05:28 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 914 Likes on 597 Posts

The one at the top of my list at the moment is the Kenwood Excelon DNX695S but I'm wanting it for the Garmin NAV to replace the primitive GM NAV. What is it you are looking for? It's not like CD players and car amps have really changed in 10 years.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:36 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

As RedFred said there are definitely newer stuff out there, but if you are just wanting to listen to music and rock out, you should be good to go!

There are many choices out there that can cover the gambit of prices from $300 on up to $1000. Do you want built-in NAV? Do you want to be able to watch a DVD, well your passenger of course? Do you want to listen to CD/DVDs? Do you want Apple Car Play or Android Audio? Do you want a back and front camera along with many other options?

I would check out crutchfield they have a great interface to find out what fits your car and matches your needs along with everything you need to get it into your car including the connection interface and detailed instructions as well as knowledgable folks that can help your decision. You can always check out a Best Buy or similar near you to physically lay hands on a particular model to see if you like the interface.

Last edited by SPSandman; 03-22-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:51 PM
parad1mg
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because this HU is quite old, it is very very slow and the user interface is quite clunky compared to today's tech.

I've been pretty happy with pioneer units for off the shelf performance (no amp/tuning). Personally prefer Pioneer over Alpine, Kenwood and Sony (these are the three brands i have bought used and regretted buying then selling off to buy a Pioneer HU).
Old 03-22-2019, 07:04 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ttboyvette
Hey Fred, Thanks for the knowledge. what model or models would you recommend?
Imo, the newer Kenwood's have a nice combination of features and sound quality. If I was shopping now, I would probably lean towards a Kenwood. Which model depends on what features you consider must haves. For me, a capacitive touch screen, vs a resistive touch screen is a must. A capacitive touch screen is what you have on your smartphone and will give you great graphics, colors, and touch response. Do you want built in navigation? Many will skip the built in navigation in favor of using their phone navigation through Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I like the DDX9905s and would strongly consider that model if you don't need built in navigation, but it does still go for about $600 on Amazon so it's not cheap. There are other good Kenwood's in the $400-500 range, also. If you want built in nav, expect to pay a little more.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 03-22-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:54 PM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I have both the Kenwood excellon DDX 9903 + DDX 9904 head units and both are excellent units which can be had for less than $400
The DDX 9904 works better with the later blue tooth 5.0
Old 03-27-2019, 05:20 PM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

Just my $0.02. I purchased a Pioneer with Apple CarPlay and I got tired of having to use the cord so I ordered the AVH-W4400NEX (I didn't need/want built in Nav, so I went with the cheaper one). Wireless Apple CarPlay, which is was my most important feature.

So it comes down to what features you want - nav, siriusxm, HD radio, etc....
Old 03-27-2019, 07:48 PM
dreskiluv
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Might want to check out KENWOOD DNX995S. Great radio/naval so allows for front and rear camera (great for parking) apple play etc.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:05 AM
Carvone
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Have you tried doing the firmware updates? They should help bring it back up with the times.

My car came with a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT, was their flagship receiver back in 2011 and was $1200-$1500 from what I can find. Worked pretty good with my Samsung S7 but when I upgraded to a S9 I lost BT and some other functions. Since Pioneer stopped doing updates for it many years ago, I found a forum of geeks that wrote their own updates and for $12 they sent me a SD card with all the updates, works great again and I'm back to rockin'.

Looks like yours has some free firmware updates, it's worth a try.

https://kenwood.garmin.com/kenwood/s...elName=DNX9960

https://www2.jvckenwood.com/cs/ce/mm...2010b/eng.html
Old 03-29-2019, 08:42 AM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

That unit has CD, Bluetooth and a built in NAV.

What issues do you have with it?
Old 03-29-2019, 04:13 PM
ttboyvette
Burning Brakes

Default thanks i will try to update

Originally Posted by Carvone
Have you tried doing the firmware updates? They should help bring it back up with the times.

My car came with a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT, was their flagship receiver back in 2011 and was $1200-$1500 from what I can find. Worked pretty good with my Samsung S7 but when I upgraded to a S9 I lost BT and some other functions. Since Pioneer stopped doing updates for it many years ago, I found a forum of geeks that wrote their own updates and for $12 they sent me a SD card with all the updates, works great again and I'm back to rockin'.

Looks like yours has some free firmware updates, it's worth a try.

https://kenwood.garmin.com/kenwood/s...elName=DNX9960

https://www2.jvckenwood.com/cs/ce/mm...2010b/eng.html
I will try to do the update! Thank you for the links!!!
Old 03-29-2019, 09:21 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 142 Posts

Do any of the aftermarket head units work with the OEM steering wheel controls? I'd like a nice Garmin based GPS unit with Apple Car Play and all the bells and whistles. Any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2019, 10:21 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CSixDude
Do any of the aftermarket head units work with the OEM steering wheel controls? I'd like a nice Garmin based GPS unit with Apple Car Play and all the bells and whistles. Any suggestions?
Yes, you can retain steering wheel controls by purchasing the correct interface/wiring harness. The Pac Audio RP4-GM11 and RP5-GM11 both work with the C6 Corvette. The RP5 gives you OnStar retention also if that is important to you.

If you want Garmin brand GPS, then look to get a Kenwood. Many find that having built in navigation is no longer necessary since Apple CarPlay and Android Auto give you the capability to use your phones navigation through the new head unit. If you still want built in navigation, you will pay a little more as you will be limited to the top of the line models.

Get notified of new replies

To Kenwood DNX9960

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX9960