C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 vs C6Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 05:33 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

In a few months the C7 will be old news. When the fire sale really starts I ll probably pick up a C7Z. The Z will keep my '12 ZR1 company.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:30 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,220 Likes on 797 Posts

If you have some kind of hesitation between those two go with the Z06 and never look back
Old 03-27-2019, 07:09 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
Huh?

Am I missing something?

427 coupe IS a Z06.
427 Vert HAS a removable top.
C6Z w/removable top IS a 427.

A 427 is NOT a Z06.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:31 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 775 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
AS a totally satisfied owner of a purchased new 2008 c6 z51 m6 that has been utterly reliable for the 131k miles ive put on since new...i suggest getting the c6 z06....as long as you dont mind not having a targa top ...

the c6 z06 is awesome. Id go for an unmodded 2006 c7 z06...(i dont believe the reported valve issue even popped up in a few c6 z06 s until 2007 model year...(supplier miscasting somepoint in the 2007 model year if I remember correctly) besides the 2006 is the least expensive best value ..

jMO
100% not true! 2006 C6z still has valve guide issue....ask me how I know! Just plan to fix the heads period if you go ZO6. My opinion a ZO6 should only be offered in manual and fixed roof period. Removable tops just add weight and cause problems a race car doesn’t need(imo) I’d try and drive a ZO6 and a GS and compare the two....my opinion a base should be off the table. Another member posting made a valid point about a ZO6 being a lot of power and faster than most can handle which is true, but you do get used to the power. 800+whp C6z is in fact terrifying on the street(ask me how I know) definitely takes a responsible driver that’s very aware of their skills or lack there of. I’m extremely biased and I’m not hiding that! C6 ZO6 all the way man! Drive one and get back to us! Good luck with the hunt🇺🇸
Old 03-27-2019, 08:12 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 778 Likes on 507 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Budget and how fast you need to go is what matters. Have you driven one yet? Lots of people like to talk a big game about their car making 800hp or whatever, but real world a 400hp c6 is faster than most can handle. A 350hp c5 is for that matter. A 500hp c6z is so beyond what you can use on the street its mind boggling. I live in a smaller town without much traffic and plenty of open roads and I can barely find places to up up my ls3. My best friend has a c6z and can only open his car up briefly on an onramp. The thrust these cars have is nuts compared to what you can use.

You said you want to drag race, which is critical. People hate when I say this, but the corvette is not a great drag platform. It can be done, but others are more suited to it. Corvettes are design from a platform, suspension, and drivetrain perspective as road course cars. A 4th gen f body or any mustang before the s550 generation is a much better platform to build off for drag racing with their solid rear axles.
Yeah, you're right - a Corvette is a terrible drag platform.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:20 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Yeah, you're right - a Corvette is a terrible drag platform.

When people say “Corvettes are terrible drag cars/half mile cars” I just think .....🤣 your so silly.....and carry on.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:09 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 408 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by jimijam
if 600rwhp vs 700rwhp, on a 1/4 mile track?
yes 1/4 mile
Old 03-27-2019, 09:15 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 778 Likes on 507 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by slowtealz28
yes 1/4 mile
Contrary to popular belief it doesn't take a ton of HP to run a good number at the track if the car is put together properly. I've built three cars that ran high 10s making just over 400rwhp.

Last edited by subfloor@centurytrans; 03-27-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:46 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

You also need to probably decide if it’s gonna be a road course car or a straight line car, there’s probably a fine line of building a vette to do both, and even then it’s just gonna be ok or decent at both rather than really good at one. Not sure if you’ve looked into how much it cost to road course a C6z it’s damn sure not cheap and requires some deep pockets if you plan on more than one event a year. Part of the reason why I build a roll race 1/4 mile 1/2 mile vette. Still not cheap by any means but compared to road course racing it’s much more affordable relatively speaking....I still have 50k+(ish) in my straight line car.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:04 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Contrary to popular belief it doesn't take a ton of HP to run a good number at the track if the car is put together properly. I've built three cars that ran high 10s making just over 400rwhp.
I find it hard to believe, and others do too, that a C6Z with engine mods or blower putting down 600hp and no other "set up" mods (think stock except under the hood), would beat a C6GS with 700hp (engine mods/blower only) in a 1/4 mile. That 600hp Z is how much lighter that it can afford to give up 100hp to the 700hp GS in the 1/4 mile? And if you are talking about setting up the Z for strip use (suspension, diet, track tires, etc.) to beat the GS, can we set up the GS the same? Seems fair given the claim.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:18 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Huh?

Am I missing something?

427 coupe IS a Z06.
427 Vert HAS a removable top.
C6Z w/removable top IS a 427.

Am I missing something?

I have never seen a 427 Coupe offered. While the 427 Convertible definitely isn't a Z06, but from the Chevy brochures in 2013, and all searches I have done Chevy only offered :
(LS3) Base Coupe, Base Convertible, Grand Sport Coupe, Grand Sport Convertible
(LS7) 427 Convertible, Z06
(LS9) ZR1

As far as the 427 convertible, the way I look at it, it isn't a removable top, it is a retractable top. I don't mean to be snide at all, but when I meant a removable top I was referring to a Targa hard top that is removable, which is much more of a daily driver than a convertible. My Grand Sport is my daily driver. I would have most definitely entertained a Coupe w/removable Targa Top that had the 427 in it.

Last edited by SPSandman; 03-28-2019 at 04:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BlackMamba89 (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 10:35 PM
klwehunt
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

If you are interested there is an 06 Z on the facebook trader in my area 80,000 miles,silver car with black wheels and has a set of AFR heads pics look pretty good he's asking 23,800.00 i'm in north east Ga. but the car is in NC,PM if you would want more info.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:51 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Z06 all day long.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:49 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 523 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by 449er
You are confused, that's for sure...A Z06 is NOT a 427 convertible because the frame is aluminum vs steel, the suspension parts are different also. They do share the same engine
Originally Posted by Frankie15
A 427 is NOT a Z06.
Originally Posted by SPSandman
Am I missing something?

I have never seen a 427 Coupe offered. While the 427 Convertible definitely isn't a Z06, but from the Chevy brochures in 2013, and all searches I have done Chevy only offered :
(LS3) Base Coupe, Base Convertible, Grand Sport Coupe, Grand Sport Convertible
(LS7) 427 Convertible, Z06
(LS9) ZR1

As far as the 427 convertible, the way I look at it, it isn't a removable top, it is a retractable top. I don't mean to be snide at all, but when I meant a removable top I was referring to a Targa hard top that is removable, which is much more of a daily driver than a convertible. My Grand Sport is my daily driver. I would have most definitely entertained a Coupe w/removable Targa Top that had the 427 in it.

An excellent fishing expedition netting all sorts of fish.

Omg, have I heard that a 427 is NOT a Z06! Like, a million times. It's positively laughable how folks get so worked up over the whole thing. Yes, I know what model they are, I own one.

The OP is asking about (notice I didn't say debating between) a Z06 and a base C6, and, Ewwww, a 427 won't check ANY of those boxes! It's NOT NEARLY A Z06! Why it weighs 60# more and you needed to order it with the CC brakes if you wanted them! Just gmafb... Like there's a hill of beans different other between em other than the roof.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

Sandman, just for the record, the vert makes a great DD. Not sure what benefit the targa has over it. Mine is very quiet inside, zero wind noise. (nothing like my c5 vert). And as a thing to live with every day, I'd much prefer the vert top to the glass top that needs you to get out of the drivers seat to swap, and uses up all the storage. Ymmv.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:09 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

An excellent fishing expedition netting all sorts of fish.

Omg, have I heard that a 427 is NOT a Z06! Like, a million times. It's positively laughable how folks get so worked up over the whole thing. Yes, I know what model they are, I own one.

The OP is asking about (notice I didn't say debating between) a Z06 and a base C6, and, Ewwww, a 427 won't check ANY of those boxes! It's NOT NEARLY A Z06! Why it weighs 60# more and you needed to order it with the CC brakes if you wanted them! Just gmafb... Like there's a hill of beans different other between em other than the roof.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

Sandman, just for the record, the vert makes a great DD. Not sure what benefit the targa has over it. Mine is very quiet inside, zero wind noise. (nothing like my c5 vert). And as a thing to live with every day, I'd much prefer the vert top to the glass top that needs you to get out of the drivers seat to swap, and uses up all the storage. Ymmv.
Mechanically yes, but mine isn't in a garage and we get snow. So I am not one to want to keep a convertible outside when there is snow. I do have a garage, and once I get a shed built to store all of my lawn equipment, wood working tools, bikes and other gear in I will put the cars in the garage. That was my entire point. I wish they made a 427 coupe (Targa Top) along with the Convertible. I would have been all over that.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:35 PM
BlackMamba89
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure what benefit the targa has over it.
To give an answer, because I think this might be a point that people may not have considered or maybe I am just very peculiar in what I like or look for.

I MUCH prefer the targa to a vert. I only have a base coupe, but the difference is the same for me, whether comparing base coupes/verts or ZO6/427 or C6/C7. It's the profile view of both.

To me, the difference in how the back glass tapers down slowly towards the back of the vehicle gives it a stockier, more aggressive appearance (for lack of better phrasing). For me, it makes a massive difference, even more than the taillights of the C7. I think it looks great with the top down, but really not a fan of the top up. So maybe not a "benefit" in the strict X's and O's of performance, but all the same, very important aesthetic benefit, for me.
The following users liked this post:
jimijam (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 08:47 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlackMamba89
To give an answer, because I think this might be a point that people may not have considered or maybe I am just very peculiar in what I like or look for.

I MUCH prefer the targa to a vert. I only have a base coupe, but the difference is the same for me, whether comparing base coupes/verts or ZO6/427 or C6/C7. It's the profile view of both.

To me, the difference in how the back glass tapers down slowly towards the back of the vehicle gives it a stockier, more aggressive appearance (for lack of better phrasing). For me, it makes a massive difference, even more than the taillights of the C7. I think it looks great with the top down, but really not a fan of the top up. So maybe not a "benefit" in the strict X's and O's of performance, but all the same, very important aesthetic benefit, for me.
I agree with you there as well. Funny, I like how the C2 Verts look, but think the C4 Vert and later the trunk is a bit too long and flat looking I like my coupe design, and I haven't driven a Vert, but would think they would have a little more of a blind spot as well, kind of like the C7 has with the divided hatch and not full glass around. The Verts look great with the tops down, but up I agree with you.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 vs C6Z

Old 03-28-2019, 09:02 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 523 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by SPSandman
Mechanically yes, but mine isn't in a garage and we get snow. So I am not one to want to keep a convertible outside when there is snow. I do have a garage, and once I get a shed built to store all of my lawn equipment, wood working tools, bikes and other gear in I will put the cars in the garage. That was my entire point. I wish they made a 427 coupe (Targa Top) along with the Convertible. I would have been all over that.
In a way they did. They call it a GS.

Sorry, but I'm in the camp that simply doesn't see enough difference model to model to stop anyone from getting the one they want. I bought a vert cause I found what I considered a good deal, but if it was a z06, base, gs, whatever... Honestly, it's just not enough to sway my buying decisions. And I've been in your shoes with cars sitting out.

In July, I will complete 30 consecutive years of open roof cars as DDs. 4 glass top cars and 4 verts. Also had 2 others, one with a glass roof and one with a ragtop, but those were before with a span in a hardtop in between, and that vert was never a dd. So, as a guy from central PA, I feel qualified to say, I don't think the vert top means a hill of beans in winter. I actually worried more about them sitting out in rain than I ever worried in snow.

Originally Posted by BlackMamba89

As much as styling sways my decisions, for me it stops at 'the car'. In other words, I either like a particular car or I don't, and from there, I'm really not that fussy. Side skirts look great, but I don't have em. Widebodys look great, but so do narrows (to me anyway). I don't get hung up over the coves on the various models, they're coves. Idc where they put badges or don't put badges, just don't care. Raised hood, hood scoops or no hood scoops...

I like the fastback look, I like the vert look, I like the top down look and I like the targa removed look. Quite honestly, when it comes to Corvettes, even the ones I like the very least, I would buy if the price was right. New, old, whatever...

I get what you're saying about the fastback look. But for me, I look right past that and consider the utility of the vert with the top down vs the targa stored in back, and THAT sways me. Again, ymmv.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:10 PM
BlackMamba89
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As much as styling sways my decisions, for me it stops at 'the car'. In other words, I either like a particular car or I don't, and from there, I'm really not that fussy. Side skirts look great, but I don't have em. Widebodys look great, but so do narrows (to me anyway). I don't get hung up over the coves on the various models, they're coves. Idc where they put badges or don't put badges, just don't care. Raised hood, hood scoops or no hood scoops...

I like the fastback look, I like the vert look, I like the top down look and I like the targa removed look. Quite honestly, when it comes to Corvettes, even the ones I like the very least, I would buy if the price was right. New, old, whatever...

I get what you're saying about the fastback look. But for me, I look right past that and consider the utility of the vert with the top down vs the targa stored in back, and THAT sways me. Again, ymmv.
Yeah, funny enough, the widebody vs narrow makes zero difference to me, lol. I think both look great. Like most things, when you get into a hobbyist community, what most would consider really small/negligible changes can be blown up to huge proportions within the community, so my phrasing is probably a bit too strong, lol. Since coupes are readily available, I would probably never buy a vert; but if there were only verts, yeah, I'd have no issues owning/driving one. And, luckily, they made several different models so everybody's tastes can be satisfied.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:56 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

In a way they did. They call it a GS.

Sorry, but I'm in the camp that simply doesn't see enough difference model to model to stop anyone from getting the one they want. I bought a vert cause I found what I considered a good deal, but if it was a z06, base, gs, whatever... Honestly, it's just not enough to sway my buying decisions. And I've been in your shoes with cars sitting out.

In July, I will complete 30 consecutive years of open roof cars as DDs. 4 glass top cars and 4 verts. Also had 2 others, one with a glass roof and one with a ragtop, but those were before with a span in a hardtop in between, and that vert was never a dd. So, as a guy from central PA, I feel qualified to say, I don't think the vert top means a hill of beans in winter. I actually worried more about them sitting out in rain than I ever worried in snow.

Well we are in the same camp. I did get what I wanted. I got the Wide Body Coupe ala Grand Sport with a removable top. If they made a Coupe with the removable top with the 427 that would have tried to hunt that down. As long as it was in my time table. Unfortunately, they don't, so I got exactly what I wanted. I would have preferred to have the M6, but sadly over 70% of the Grand Sports sold were the A6. My top requirements were Wide Body, followed by Red, ideally CRM and with a M6. I looked around 6 months while waiting on Camaro's term to come up and within a 200 mile radius I found a great price on 2012 Grand Sport CRM A6 that checked the most boxes and got a good price that was bout 4k less than the four others that I had on the list at the end. The other three were Torch Red and were all around 35k. 2 were 2013s, one was a 3LT with 28k miles, the other was 2LT with 35k miles and then a 2011 2LT that had about the same mileage and they were still asking 34k and it was further away.

Either way we drive the best American Sports car and IMHO the best value sports car around. I love them all, but when I test drove my car I knew it was the one. The only negative was the brake squeaking was ridiculous, lol. I think it was because it sat for awhile over the winter. It was actually there when I started my search and things worked out that they weren't moving over the winter. I bought it in January and I made them throw in a set of brakes that they sent me 2 days after I bought it and I installed those myself the following weekend.

Quick Reply: C6 vs C6Z