C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you consider an MRC upgrade for your C6?
Absolutely, I’m in
50.66%
Most likely
23.03%
Undecided, I need to know more
15.79%
Doubt it, but who knows
6.58%
NFW
3.95%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

C6 MRC Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 03:15 PM
h8snow
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
It would be over $2,000+
I don't know about your car. I just priced four MRC shocks that fit my 2012 Grandsport total with free shipping Amazon $1641.00. Pricing the simulators on different web sites around $300.00 and four Bilstein B8 shocks with shipping $519.00. I will be happy to pay the $1600 if I ever wear out the MRC shocks. Remember years ago spending twice that amount on Ohlins shocks for my snow machine.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:27 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by h8snow
I don't know about your car. I just priced four MRC shocks that fit my 2012 Grandsport total with free shipping Amazon $1641.00. Pricing the simulators on different web sites around $300.00 and four Bilstein B8 shocks with shipping $519.00. I will be happy to pay the $1600 if I ever wear out the MRC shocks. Remember years ago spending twice that amount on Ohlins shocks for my snow machine.
This conversion was suggested by highly recommended forum dealership here. I don't track car or drive it to the limit. Just a daily driver commute car.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:24 PM
h8snow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS WON
This conversion was suggested by highly recommended forum dealership here. I don't track car or drive it to the limit. Just a daily driver commute car.
I don't understand the thinking about tracking, racing, limit driving, mud bogging whatever. I do know that the magnetic ride suspension works. Would never have another Corvette with out it. Might find a dealer that understands how this system works.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:25 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by h8snow
I don't understand the thinking about tracking, racing, limit driving, mud bogging whatever. I do know that the magnetic ride suspension works. Would never have another Corvette with out it. Might find a dealer that understands how this system works.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:36 AM
Jim Mero
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,254 Likes on 233 Posts
Default New Installation Videos Available

Hi Everyone.

I just wanted to inform everyone that we have posted 2 videos on my website.

The videos are step by step instructions on how to remove and replace the controller in a wet sump or dry sump C6. They are for anyone who is considering the controller exchange option and installing the new controller themselves.

Here is the link:

https://jimmero.com/blog/

Thank you,
Jim
Old 06-25-2019, 09:27 AM
Jim Mero
Supporting Vendor

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone noticed, but there are 2 threads in the Z06/ZR1 forum from members who had their C6's upgraded.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-exchange.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-jim-mero.html

There is also a testimonial page on my website with many more C6 upgrade reviews.

https://jimmero.com/testimonials/

Thank you, Jim
Old 06-26-2019, 11:16 AM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Mero
Hi All,

Not sure if anyone noticed, but there are 2 threads in the Z06/ZR1 forum from members who had their C6's upgraded.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-exchange.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-jim-mero.html

There is also a testimonial page on my website with many more C6 upgrade reviews.

https://jimmero.com/testimonials/

Thank you, Jim

Hey Jim,

At this year's Carlisle, Pa event will you be working by appointment or just "first come, first served" ?
I live near Baltimore, only about 70 miles away, and plan to bring my 13' GS manual transmission (dry sump) coupe there.
But I am not sure what day I will be going, and due to my work probably won't know until that week.
Just wondering about your logistics those days.
Thanks so much,

Craig
Old 07-11-2019, 01:13 PM
tomcat11
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Different question

Hi Dr.

Let me first apologize for the late reply. I missed your message.

Sorry for the confusion. So if you look at the difference in the level of damping of the new tour and new sport, the new tour plus will move 30% in the direction of sport.

Perhaps another way to describe it, using round numbers, say the new tour is 0 and the new sport is 100. The new tour plus will be at 33.3 and the new super sport will be at 130.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but at the bottom of each page I included bar graphs depicting the levels of damping for each mode.

I'm not sure if that makes it clearer for you, If not, feel free to contact me at jim@jimmero.com.

And yes, you have the correct dates for Carlisle. Terri and I will be going directly from Carlisle to the Caravan as well.

Thanks,
Jim

Hello Jim,

After reading your MRC information on this site and your site along with the video of you driving on the cup 2 tires and the pod cast where you describe the Goodyear F1's, a question has come to mind. I have a 2012 Centennial Z06 (Non Z07/Iron brakes) which originally came with the Goodyear F1's per the RPO decal in the glove box. It has the 19/20 cup wheels. When I purchased the car someone had installed Michelin Super Sport ZP's.

My question is can you offer any insight to the effect of just changing to these Michelin's (positive or negative) knowing the MRC was calibrated on the Goodyears? They are both run flat's. The Michelins seem to have very good grip when hot but even in tour mode on rough roads the ride is pretty harsh. I tend to think most of this is because of the run flat's sidewall construction. As a former racer myself we know tires are everything and the Michelins are a huge improvement over the Goodyears even with the stock calibration. It would be interesting to compare calibrations for each tire including the Cup 2. Your thoughts and your work is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Last edited by tomcat11; 07-11-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:27 AM
Jim Mero
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by csf
Hey Jim,

At this year's Carlisle, Pa event will you be working by appointment or just "first come, first served" ?
I live near Baltimore, only about 70 miles away, and plan to bring my 13' GS manual transmission (dry sump) coupe there.
But I am not sure what day I will be going, and due to my work probably won't know until that week.
Just wondering about your logistics those days.
Thanks so much,

Craig
Hi Craig,

If you have not already done so, would you mind going to my website and filling out the contact information? There is a pull down menu for Carlisle and the Caravan. This way I will have your information recorded and I can reach out early August to schedule the upgrade. We're pretty flexible and I'm sure we can accommodate the timing that suits your needs.

https://jimmero.com/contact/

Thank you, Jim
Old 07-12-2019, 08:44 AM
Jim Mero
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by tomcat11
Hello Jim,

After reading your MRC information on this site and your site along with the video of you driving on the cup 2 tires and the pod cast where you describe the Goodyear F1's, a question has come to mind. I have a 2012 Centennial Z06 (Non Z07/Iron brakes) which originally came with the Goodyear F1's per the RPO decal in the glove box. It has the 19/20 cup wheels. When I purchased the car someone had installed Michelin Super Sport ZP's.

My question is can you offer any insight to the effect of just changing to these Michelin's (positive or negative) knowing the MRC was calibrated on the Goodyears? They are both run flat's. The Michelins seem to have very good grip when hot but even in tour mode on rough roads the ride is pretty harsh. I tend to think most of this is because of the run flat's sidewall construction. As a former racer myself we know tires are everything and the Michelins are a huge improvement over the Goodyears even with the stock calibration. It would be interesting to compare calibrations for each tire including the Cup 2. Your thoughts and your work is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Hi Tom,

I can't comment on the difference between the Goodyear F1's and the Michelin Super Sport ZP's because I've never drove them back to back.

But I can tell you a quick story I recently had on my Grand Sport. Since the car only had 3000 miles on it when I purchased it, it still had the original Goodyear F1's.

In the early stages of developing the calibration for the Grand Sport, I acquired a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S 3 Plus tires. So I had them installed. The ride and handling improvement was a lot better. Enough that I decided to have the original Goodyear's re-installed because I was worried that the Michelin tires might mask some calibration tweaks that would be required to make the car ride good on a tire that does not perform as well as the Michelin's.

Upon completion of the calibration on the Goodyear's which is a major improvement over the original calibration, I reinstalled the Michelin's. Together with the new calibration, The dynamics is so good I really can't put it into words to emulate how much I love driving the car.

I realize this does not completely answer your question, but it's the best I can do based on my experience.

Thanks, Jim
Old 07-15-2019, 09:53 AM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 07-15-2019, 09:33 PM
tomcat11
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Tom,

I can't comment on the difference between the Goodyear F1's and the Michelin Super Sport ZP's because I've never drove them back to back.

But I can tell you a quick story I recently had on my Grand Sport. Since the car only had 3000 miles on it when I purchased it, it still had the original Goodyear F1's.

In the early stages of developing the calibration for the Grand Sport, I acquired a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S 3 Plus tires. So I had them installed. The ride and handling improvement was a lot better. Enough that I decided to have the original Goodyear's re-installed because I was worried that the Michelin tires might mask some calibration tweaks that would be required to make the car ride good on a tire that does not perform as well as the Michelin's.

Upon completion of the calibration on the Goodyear's which is a major improvement over the original calibration, I reinstalled the Michelin's. Together with the new calibration, The dynamics is so good I really can't put it into words to emulate how much I love driving the car.

I realize this does not completely answer your question, but it's the best I can do based on my experience.

Thanks, Jim
Jim,

Thank you for the response. That is an interesting story. I have never driven on the F1's so I don't have any reference either. I did look at my RPO tag again then looked at the 2012 buyers guide and it seems I actually have two tire option codes on the tag, ZNX for the Goodyear's and XFG which is the Michelin PS2. I'm pretty sure PS2 tires originally came on the car with the 19/20 rims and the F55. Clearly several different Michelin offerings are superior to the F1's. My question was geared toward what performance might be left on the table just by changing tires and using the stock calibration. It would seem that to perfect the system extensive testing and data collection would have to be done with each tire set, but even that would not be perfect as often tires of the same brand are not identically manufactured. Too many variables to consider much less control. As you seem to indicate though there may be some value to calibrating the MRC on an inferior tire. Your calibrations offer people more options based on their usage which is great! I have to say this is a very interesting subject.

All the best,
Tom

Last edited by tomcat11; 07-16-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:53 AM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Jim, nice to meet you yesterday! We made it back to Connecticut late last night. Keith is extremely pleased with the MRC upgrade on his Z07 !
It was a clear improvement to the stock set up. I'm sure Keith will comment soon (after he sleeps 12 hours )

Although my Z06 does not have MRC I drove Keith's 2011 Z07 with MRC for six hours on our way from Kansas City to Michigan on Tuesday. On Wednesday after your MRC upgrade I got about five hours of seat time on our way back to Connecticut.
The ride improvements were exactly as you described !

If my 2011 Z06 had MRC I would be scheduling the upgrade with you today!

Aside from the MRC upgrade it was a pleasure talking to you about your Nuremberg adventures and more. See you in Carlisle!

For those going to Carlisle and the Caravan I strongly recommend you get to one of Jim's seminars. If you have MRC you definitely should consider Jim's upgrade.

He's a great guy with a wealth of knowledge about the handling/performance of our Corvettes.

Last edited by CTYANK2; 07-18-2019 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jim Mero (07-19-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 10:59 AM
h8snow
Burning Brakes

Did the upgrade 2012 Grand Sport very very happy with the improvement.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:19 PM
slammin86
Burning Brakes

Received 392 Likes on 205 Posts

Will you ever be near Springfield Mo?
Old 07-19-2019, 08:50 AM
Jim Mero
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by CTYANK2
Jim, nice to meet you yesterday! We made it back to Connecticut late last night. Keith is extremely pleased with the MRC upgrade on his Z07 !
It was a clear improvement to the stock set up. I'm sure Keith will comment soon (after he sleeps 12 hours )

Although my Z06 does not have MRC I drove Keith's 2011 Z07 with MRC for six hours on our way from Kansas City to Michigan on Tuesday. On Wednesday after your MRC upgrade I got about five hours of seat time on our way back to Connecticut.
The ride improvements were exactly as you described !

If my 2011 Z06 had MRC I would be scheduling the upgrade with you today!

Aside from the MRC upgrade it was a pleasure talking to you about your Nuremberg adventures and more. See you in Carlisle!

For those going to Carlisle and the Caravan I strongly recommend you get to one of Jim's seminars. If you have MRC you definitely should consider Jim's upgrade.

He's a great guy with a wealth of knowledge about the handling/performance of our Corvettes.
Hi John, It was great spending time with you and Keith. I am happy the 2nd 750 miles was better than the first 750 miles. And I appreciate your patience with the schedule mix up. You two were complete gentlemen.

Thanks again, Jim
Old 07-19-2019, 08:55 AM
Jim Mero
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by slammin86
Will you ever be near Springfield Mo?
After Carlisle and the Caravan, we are going to compile interested parties who have reached out through my contact page. If there are enough cars, we will travel to different areas of the country.

Another thought was to reach out to Corvette specialty shops in different areas of the country to see if the potential exists for installers. I know a few exchanges had a 3rd party install the controller for them, and the average cost was about $115.

Thanks, Jim

Get notified of new replies

To C6 MRC Upgrades

Old 07-19-2019, 09:04 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

I am fully in - I have a 2009 Coupe 4lt MRC and I would be willing to do whatever is needed to do the programming -

I live in California and I am good to go -

What more do I need to do? and where are we at right now with the programming?

Here is my contact info:

661-406-7516 (text or call)
Email: madmatt9471@gmail.com

Thanks,Matt
Old 07-19-2019, 09:33 AM
KBu
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Passing close to Western Kentucky anytime?
Old 07-19-2019, 11:14 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Hi all, first I wanna thank everybody for the feedback. It is significantly higher than my expectations. I am honored about all of the nice things everyone is said to me.

I just wanted to give everybody a heads up. Even though the website is still under construction, it will be ready soon There is the availability to subscribe and get notified when It is is up and running

Again, thank you for your consideration.

Www.jimmero.com
Just sent a email via the website!

Thank you very much.

Thanks, Matt

Quick Reply: C6 MRC Upgrades