C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Pioneer receivers don’t fit in 2011 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 03:44 PM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
This has been a known issue with the Pioneer models with the removable face. Models like the 4100, 4200, and now 4400. There is a fix for it. It requires shaving or filing the Metra bezel a little. Here is a video showing the procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGtcRy9SKnU
I pulled out the radio this morning and trimmed the bezel - only took about 30 minutes total. Trimming was easy and only took took tries. Worked like a champ - opens and closes with ease.
The following users liked this post:
LiLi (04-01-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 04:08 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 142 Posts

Just curious, why do you guys prefer the Pioneer over say, Kenwood or Alpine? I'm just wondering what one to buy, and it seems like a lot of folks are getting the Pioneer. Is there anything that makes it a better choice?
Old 03-31-2019, 08:34 PM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CSixDude
Just curious, why do you guys prefer the Pioneer over say, Kenwood or Alpine? I'm just wondering what one to buy, and it seems like a lot of folks are getting the Pioneer. Is there anything that makes it a better choice?
I had the Sony XAV-AX1000 in my '93 C4 and hated it. There are a lot of folks that have liked it but I wasn't one of them - swapped it out with a Pioneer.. Now both the '93 and '12 have the Pioneer and so far so good - the main option I wanted for the '12 was wireless Apple CarPlay and the Alpine iLX was $200 more than the Pioneer AVH. I also bought the $12 mic for the auto-eq that's supposed to compensate for the cars acoustics. Maybe it's a placebo but I think it made the sound a lot better.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:13 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,122 Posts

This has been a known issue with the Pioneer models with the removable face. Models like the 4100, 4200, and now 4400. There is a fix for it. It requires shaving or filing the Metra bezel a little. Here is a video showing the procedure.
Originally Posted by dkpnkc
I pulled out the radio this morning and trimmed the bezel - only took about 30 minutes total. Trimming was easy and only took took tries. Worked like a champ - opens and closes with ease.
Glad you got it taken care of. I've shared that video a few times. An easy fix to a dumb problem.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:16 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dkpnkc
Pioneer AVH. I also bought the $12 mic for the auto-eq that's supposed to compensate for the cars acoustics. Maybe it's a placebo but I think it made the sound a lot better.
The auto tuning with the optional mic, does help. It helps flatten out the EQ for the Pioneers making it easier to make your own adjustments to the EQ.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:55 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Pioneer Head unit

Originally Posted by CorVetteJones
Hello everyone, just found something funny and was wondering what others have experienced regarding a new head unit upgrade. I have a 2011 Grand Sport and wanted to upgrade the head unit to a Pioneer AVH-2500NEX. I started my investigation by going on Crutchfield and noticed that their website was saying it wouldn’t fit. Then discussed it with there text support people and was told ALL the newer model Pioneer receivers were too deep for my vette. That the unit required 6.825” and my car was only 6.765”. So they told me to try a kenwood unit instead. I prefer the Pioneer unit and found it unusual that none of the Pioneer units would fit. So I went to 2 different installers and was told they would have no issues installing it as there was a Metra face plate and wire harness for everything for my car. I asked about the depth and they were dumb founded by my question. Both installers use Pioneer as there main product. So then I checked this forum for info and see that others have installed Pioneer units although not the same model. So just wondering if anyone has any input regarding newer model Pioneer unit installs with a depth issue during install?
It's true does not fit. I installed Pioneer Avic-8201Nex in my 2008 C6 AT LT3 Removed factory Nav. Had to do small modification to have the proper clearance. There's a mount about 1-1/2 square that has a locating pilot hole on the center of it. It's molded plastic as part of the dash. Since the Pioneer head unit does use it. I just cut it off with a small Dremel tool. After that no problem.

Old Factory Nav

New Pioneer Head unit

Installed
Old 04-01-2019, 08:46 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffs64
It's true does not fit. I installed Pioneer Avic-8201Nex in my 2008 C6 AT LT3 Removed factory Nav. Had to do small modification to have the proper clearance. There's a mount about 1-1/2 square that has a locating pilot hole on the center of it. It's molded plastic as part of the dash. Since the Pioneer head unit does use it. I just cut it off with a small Dremel tool. After that no problem.
I have the 8201 in mine and it fit just fine, without any modifications whatsoever. Are you sure you just didn't have a harness or something in the way preventing you from getting it put in properly ?
Old 04-01-2019, 10:49 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 142 Posts

Am I the only one that misses having a Volume ****? How do you easily adjust the volume on these units?
The following 2 users liked this post by CSixDude:
LiLi (04-01-2019), OneBadLT123 (04-03-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 11:17 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
Am I the only one that misses having a Volume ****? How do you easily adjust the volume on these units?
I did the steering wheel swap on my 05, so I now have steering wheel controls for mine, prior to doing that I had a small Pioneer remote control velcro'ed to the center console that I used, or I used the volume buttons on the unit itself.

Last edited by madsonp; 04-01-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:51 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by madsonp
I have the 8201 in mine and it fit just fine, without any modifications whatsoever. Are you sure you just didn't have a harness or something in the way preventing you from getting it put in properly ?
Mine is a coupe Z51 AT LT3. Yours a Vert ? The convertibles have a different dash. I have the harness going to the right side and down not back. Heres what I mention on the prior post mounting locator

Black stud lower center on old unit

Have steering wheel control for volume and unit has push button for volume + and - next to the map button
Old 04-01-2019, 02:30 PM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

I miss a turn **** in my '93 since there are no wheel controls. I don't miss the turn **** in my '12 since I use the wheel control's 99% of the time.

Last edited by dkpnkc; 04-01-2019 at 02:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-01-2019, 03:04 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jeffs64

Installed
I installed the 8200nex also with no modifications or having to cut anything. I do notice that your bezel or faceplate around your Pioneer looks different than my Metra one and your Pioneer looks a little more recessed. Maybe that was the reason.

picture of mine,

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 04-01-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:06 PM
LiLi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the market to replace my 2013 LT3 Coupe radio/nav.

Question1: Did either of you install the backup camera? If so, how does it look on the outside of the car and the video itself. Does it engage when you put the car in reverse? Or do you need to select the backup camera from the screen.

Question2: Did you lose any HUD features?

Question3: Are all your existing steering wheel controls working?

Question4: The description of the unit states that to use various Android auto features including Google Maps I would have to purchase and run an USB cable. Is this the same Auxiliary port that is in the center arm rest?

Question5: When you have Bluetooth on and you receive a text message does your radio switch from the radio to Bluetooth on the device leaving you to change back to the radio?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-01-2019, 03:24 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LiLi

Question1: Did either of you install the backup camera? If so, how does it look on the outside of the car and the video itself. Does it engage when you put the car in reverse? Or do you need to select the backup camera from the screen.

Question4: The description of the unit states that to use various Android auto features including Google Maps I would have to purchase and run an USB cable. Is this the same Auxiliary port that is in the center arm rest?

Question5: When you have Bluetooth on and you receive a text message does your radio switch from the radio to Bluetooth on the device leaving you to change back to the radio?

Thanks guys!
1- My reverse camera is located above the license plate, barely noticeable, and comes on automatically when I put it in reverse. Very simple and easy to add a reverse camera, and imo is a must do if you are installing an aftermarket head unit.

2- You only lose navigation through your HUD and or any radio station info. All the other things on the HUD still function normally.

3- With the correct interface/wiring harness you can retain steering wheel controls. They come preprogrammed, but the phone end and answer are programmed as mute/source. You can reprogram them but some have difficulty getting the end button programmed correctly.

4- I ran the USB cable that came with my head unit to the center console. I did not reuse the existing usb port, but removed it to run the cable into the center console.

5- The head unit handles the text/bluetooth features without any issue. No need to switch back to radio or source if you get a text message. All works pretty much seamlessly with your phone.
LiLi (04-02-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 04:05 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 320 Likes on 218 Posts

I installed the 8200nex also with no modifications or having to cut anything. I do notice that your bezel or faceplate around your Pioneer looks different than my Metra one and your Pioneer looks a little more recessed. Maybe that was the reason.

picture of mine,

What is the purpose of the bottom being bowed out for the control panel?
Old 04-01-2019, 05:54 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys!
I installed both front and read camera. Rear Cam displays when put into reverse. The 8201 has the ability to switch and view either cam at any time.

The HUD works the same but no longer displays turn info like the factory Nav did

Steering wheel controls are fully functional. I used "RP5Pro for all interface including Bose factory amp and OnStar

I have Two (2) USB ports installed in the glove box.

Text messages display on top of the screen. System will lower volume beep then return to the previous state fully automatic.

Rear Cam

Front Cam

Pac Audio Interface

XM

Bluetooth Mic

I also have HDMI cable to display "Mirror" my iPhone Internet,Youtube,Waze,App Radio,Google Maps. Anything on the phone.

Last edited by jeffs64; 04-01-2019 at 08:22 PM.
LiLi (04-02-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 06:22 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by marinablu67
What is the purpose of the bottom being bowed out for the control panel?
The buttons on the head unit? It's just the design of this particular model. Looks a little more pronounced in the pictures.
marinablu67 (04-01-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To New Pioneer receivers don’t fit in 2011 GS?

Old 04-02-2019, 11:31 AM
LiLi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THANK YOU!!! I just looked on line (Best Buy) and the 8201 is out of stock. ?? I am looking into having them do the install as it will be warrantied at any location. jeffs64 Is is necessary to mount the headunit microphone like you pictured or will my microphone work? Thank you for the pictures. This helps me a ton. I didn't even think about the HDMI for mirroring.

I am now on the hunt for the 8201. Soon as I get this purchased and installed I will post the before, after and outline any items that had to be purchased.

I am assuming this unit also has the parking break restriction on it for downloading data off a USB? I have a Pioneer 601ex in another car and just tried to put on a logo from a thumb drive and it will not let me download. Videos outline the parking break restriction. I believe there is another set of jump wires to install to get around this hassle.

Thanks Guys!!!
Old 04-02-2019, 12:03 PM
C6Cruzmobile
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yo Vette Bros

Installed Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX in my 2013 Grand Sport. Sounds Grrreat! Cheers.

Originally Posted by CorVetteJones
Hello everyone, just found something funny and was wondering what others have experienced regarding a new head unit upgrade. I have a 2011 Grand Sport and wanted to upgrade the head unit to a Pioneer AVH-2500NEX. I started my investigation by going on Crutchfield and noticed that their website was saying it wouldn’t fit. Then discussed it with there text support people and was told ALL the newer model Pioneer receivers were too deep for my vette. That the unit required 6.825” and my car was only 6.765”. So they told me to try a kenwood unit instead. I prefer the Pioneer unit and found it unusual that none of the Pioneer units would fit. So I went to 2 different installers and was told they would have no issues installing it as there was a Metra face plate and wire harness for everything for my car. I asked about the depth and they were dumb founded by my question. Both installers use Pioneer as there main product. So then I checked this forum for info and see that others have installed Pioneer units although not the same model. So just wondering if anyone has any input regarding newer model Pioneer unit installs with a depth issue during install?
CorVetteJones (04-03-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 12:05 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

THANK YOU!!! I just looked on line (Best Buy) and the 8201 is out of stock. ?? I am looking into having them do the install as it will be warrantied at any location. jeffs64 Is is necessary to mount the headunit microphone like you pictured or will my microphone work? Thank you for the pictures. This helps me a ton. I didn't even think about the HDMI for mirroring.

I am now on the hunt for the 8201. Soon as I get this purchased and installed I will post the before, after and outline any items that had to be purchased.

I am assuming this unit also has the parking break restriction on it for downloading data off a USB? I have a Pioneer 601ex in another car and just tried to put on a logo from a thumb drive and it will not let me download. Videos outline the parking break restriction. I believe there is another set of jump wires to install to get around this hassle.

Thanks Guys!!!
I bypassed the parking brake by grounding the E-brake wire and so I can watch video DVD USB Video at anytime. The mic can be placed anywhere you want
LiLi (04-02-2019)

Quick Reply: New Pioneer receivers don’t fit in 2011 GS?