C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep your C6 or go for a c7 or c8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 02:36 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

D
Originally Posted by dpigguy
Depends if you’re paying or not . If you’re paying, I’ll send you my specs via a PM. If not, I’ll keep my old 2008 as I don’t have the $165k for a C8 and I don’t care for the look of the C7.
did you miss the memo? Of course Im buying every member here a 70 grand c8 z51 fe4 1lt..

if you must have a 2 LT or 3LT thats on you.

sure the c8 is almost double the price many of us paid for our c6 s new way back when...

i did a little research and saw back in november of 2017 GM was selling 2017 c7 s with a 25 percent discount through many of our supporting vendors here..(brand spanking new)
lthat was a hell of a deal...no reason to think that wont be repeated as the c7 production whines down..l

considering the 500 hp c8 dct should land around 70 with the z51 and mrc...many of us will at least have to consider c7 z06 manuals that list around 88 grand for the discounted rate of 66 grand..(four grand less than a c8 z51 dct z51 with mrc)

so far Ive personally put on 132k miles since new on my 2008 c6 z51 m6 and its still in excellent condition...

hard to give up this A ticket ride that just does it all....

but time marches on...and eventually many of us need to at least weigh our options

thanks for the laighs and the honest insight of course.

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-19-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:45 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Btw we are already seeing c7 z06 s preowned on autotempest in the low 50s...occassionally and supposedly with clean carfax reports throughout the country and thats always an excellent option as well.

Ive never bought a preowned corvette and i was telling myself for a few past years Id finally dive into the preowned car game as corvettes truly are one brand of vehicle where the owner base takes amazing care of the vehicles...

the owner ship base is not always but quite often manical at how well they care for their corvettes...

low fifties is coming and many many of the cars are in excellent condition...of course no warranty but still this is tempting as well.

just shooting the breeze...
Old 04-19-2019, 05:13 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Btw we are already seeing c7 z06 s preowned on autotempest in the low 50s...occassionally and supposedly with clean carfax reports throughout the country and thats always an excellent option as well.

Ive never bought a preowned corvette and i was telling myself for a few past years Id finally dive into the preowned car game as corvettes truly are one brand of vehicle where the owner base takes amazing care of the vehicles...

the owner ship base is not always but quite often manical at how well they care for their corvettes...

low fifties is coming and many many of the cars are in excellent condition...of course no warranty but still this is tempting as well.

just shooting the breeze...
I like your style.

All of my Vettes have been used -- but they ALL felt new to me. The market tells me the beauty I now own is worth the $41K I paid for it. That's with another 4 years and 50K miles of bumper to bumper aftermarket warranty. The prior (and original) owner actually used the car enthusiastically, but it was still an anally-maintained, garage-kept example. You had to REALLY go over it carefully to see it was not brand new.

20K mile ago it listed for $75K and probably sold new for >$60K. At a minimum, somebody else took roughly $1/mile depreciation. To me, that's a crazy-high price/mile.

I really went into this go-round (my 6th) with the intention of buying a new one. My wife was right there with me. But, when I did some analysis, and realized how much "newness" would wind up costing me in 5 or so years when I go for a C8 (or maybe a Z06 if the C8 does not do it for me), PLUS how much in the way of "nice stuff" I'd be giving up, well that changed my mind completely. And my next Vette? It too will excite me every bit as much as if it were brand new...

Good luck and enjoy the process...

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 04-19-2019 at 05:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rapid Fred:
JerriVette (04-19-2019), myredhead1 (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 08:44 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Nope, No interest in "upgrading" my C6 427 Vert. I love the body style & never warmed up to the C7s. C8? Chevrolet has their asses way out there with this car, a complete and total change from what we are used to, I hope it works
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (04-24-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 10:34 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

I’m on my 2nd C6 ZR1, not letting it go this time. Sold my last one, still the best looking Vette I’ve think they have made. The C7-ZR1 is nice, but that wing in back is hideous, and I’ve never liked the C7 period. ZR1 is my last sports car, unless the C8 is something really outstanding.
JerriVette (04-24-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 12:14 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

No plans for c8....In Vettes I've had 5 c6's and 1 c7...Who knows what will be next but for now I am planning on keeping my recently purchased 2012 c6..
The following 3 users liked this post by hawkgfr:
JerriVette (04-24-2019), NormWild (06-05-2019), ProCycle (04-22-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 01:07 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I really like my C6. I may be going through some maintenance issues right now but the bottom line is I love the car. I don't know that they make a C7 that would convince me to trade even up. Forget the years and all that bullshit, I dislike the outside that much. I do recognize they are an awesome car but I don't like the way they look. And I really like the way my 427 looks.

When it comes to the C8 on the other hand, I'm not sure if I can justify that. I'm pretty much of the opinion that I need to keep the 427 and buy another car outright and that really really is a stretch. I'm going to have to have some new kind of Woody before I plunk down the money for a C8. The odds of me buying a C7 even at 25% off is basically zero at this point. As much as I would like to update I simply dislike them that much. No disrespect to the people who have them because I do think they're an awesome car but they're not for me.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:58 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

My C6 is a toy, not my daily driver. Sure we all lust after something different from time to time but in my head, I have an amount, that does change sometimes, of what I consider to be the top dollar for a toy. I spent my entire budget, buying the nicest C6 I could afford after stepping away from my Mustang history. The C7 styling is too busy for my tastes. Yes, I’m sure it’s a better car in every way but it’s not for me. The price of a C8 will be way more than I will ever consider spending on ANY car, let alone a toy. My dreams are for a super nice SN95 Mustang with LS power, something scary fast, in addition to my C6. I’ll keep the Vette tame for cruising.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:01 PM
billyjoeraybob
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
Am I the only person happy with what I have? A c6z06? I don’t aspire to anything else, it checks all the boxes for me....and at what it’s sales value is, it’s not worth selling anyway.
Nope! I love my C6 z06.
The following 2 users liked this post by billyjoeraybob:
JerriVette (04-24-2019), reasonable suspicion (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:58 PM
ProCycle
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts

I'll be sticking with my 07 C6 base coupe for the foreseeable future. It's my daily driver and I'm only into it for $20K. A new C7 is 3x the money and a C8? What 8x the money? I'm sure either car is fantastic but I bought my car to DRIVE it and I like to drive it all the time everywhere I go. I'd be too afraid of a $60K or $160K car to fully enjoy it.

Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, etc...

Name:  xPjoJ1H.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  149.5 KB

Name:  1AIyFcV.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  109.5 KB

Name:  jj4xxWE.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  289.4 KB

Last edited by ProCycle; 04-22-2019 at 11:10 PM.
JerriVette (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 01:24 PM
smd001
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks the C8 prototypes look like "old" Ferrari 360's? Doesn't matter, I never buy new and I love the style of the widebody C6's. I think we are going to see a major glut of C7's on the market once the C8 hits the shelves. Par for the course. I do love the C7z convt. and think the new ZR-1 will be a collectable but it is horrendously ugly. IMO so please don't beat, whip me or make me write bad checks..
Old 04-23-2019, 09:17 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I have been toying around with the idea of moving into a C7. I have been looking at dealers pricing on 2019 models and from what I have found the numbers aren't to bad with the discounts and all.
I think there are some members on here in the C7 for sale section are in trouble as I see some later models going for the same or more money as brand new models. This may get worse, not sure.
I know there is a difference in the model, Z, GS, etc but I've seen new GS's going for less then some later model C7's that are in the for sale section. I also would not want the A8 with all the issues I've been reading about so I am only looking manual this time around.
I think I'll wait till the C8 comes out see what happens to the C7 prices.
Like I said just toying right now but........
JerriVette (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 12:18 AM
antidookie
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely keeping this for a long long time, Atomic Orange is my favorite color.
The following 2 users liked this post by antidookie:
BlackMamba89 (04-24-2019), JerriVette (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 08:30 AM
smd001
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by SixAddict
I have been toying around with the idea of moving into a C7. I have been looking at dealers pricing on 2019 models and from what I have found the numbers aren't to bad with the discounts and all.
I think there are some members on here in the C7 for sale section are in trouble as I see some later models going for the same or more money as brand new models. This may get worse, not sure.
I know there is a difference in the model, Z, GS, etc but I've seen new GS's going for less then some later model C7's that are in the for sale section. I also would not want the A8 with all the issues I've been reading about so I am only looking manual this time around.
I think I'll wait till the C8 comes out see what happens to the C7 prices.
Like I said just toying right now but........
A lot of the pricing is due to option packages and stand alone options. Still, depending on what you are looking for a 2017 Z06 with all options vs. an 19', the 17' will demand a higher price. It will still be interesting to see what happens. New redesigned corvettes spark sales of all corvettes just the same as when Mustangs get redesigned. Personally I think we are already seeing a glut of cars coming to market and with plenty new cars still on dealers lots I expect prices on C7's to drop.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:34 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by antidookie

Definitely keeping this for a long long time, Atomic Orange is my favorite color.
well done...im especially digging your ride...a real beauty...

still the c7 z06 s are going to be hard not to bite...

i think its 650 hp for as little as mid sixties brand new is pretty awesome with a full warranty...

and that c8 RME 500 hp dct putting dowm zero to sixty times in the low threes is hard to resist too...

an amazing time to be a sports car enthusiast!

the choices are unbelievable...
Old 04-24-2019, 08:36 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Btw that headlight change is very contemporary...

around a grand and a few hours install..

looks slick!
Old 04-24-2019, 09:26 AM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Love the C6 widebody, hence the reason for my 2005 conversion. My upgrade, many moons from now, will be to a C6 Z06.

Get notified of new replies

To Keep your C6 or go for a c7 or c8?

Old 04-24-2019, 10:28 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I will stick with C-6 because it appears to have less blind spots compared to C-7. The rear window wraps around so I see more in C-6 vs. C-7. Also when I sit in the C-7 it feels like there is less interior/cabin/storage space compared to C-6.
Getting priced out with newer Corvettes because with all of these extra added option packages drives up the cost and probability of having problems in the future as I prefer to hang onto my vehicles longer. The more you have the more problems you will experience in that more sensors to go out/computers and electronics so everything is a lot more complex and not simple.

As with C-8 it's the first year of a total re-design over the traditional Corvette rear wheel drive front engine so let them work out the bugs. But again I see the projected prices on this C-8 and that is just too much $$$ (at least for me) to spend on a vehicle.

These newer Corvettes and vehicles in general are just getting so complex with all of these informant systems with just more stuff to go wrong and in the end you end up paying a lot more $$$$ in purchase of vehicle and maintenance when more things to break and go wrong.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:00 AM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 130 Posts

I really think my Blade Silver '13 GS 3LT coupe with magnetic ride, NPP exhaust and manual transmission gives me everything I want in an extra "toy" sports car.

Its comfortable, its reliable, its economical, its practical, its nice looking, its has plenty of options, and it goes faster and stops faster then I could ever need.
I love that it's not full of extra technology that I would rarely use. It still has real gauges but also the HUD. In fact, I actually like the entire interior.
The top comes out. And my GS even happens to have the dry sump and " hand built " LS motor, whatever that means.
My mileage is still very low and its paid for.
And I finally put MIchelin all season tires on it and the ride is now vastly improved over the OEM Goodyears

I have never warmed up to the looks of the C7, even though I could afford one, but honestly I'm not sure what moving on to one is gonna do for me. I am happy driving a C6 GS.

As far as the C8 goes . . . It looks far better to me than the C7, but to me a Corvette should have the motor in the front.
If I ever dive into the midengine sports car world it will be one of those famous Italian imports who have been at that design for decades.

So, at almost 60 years old, I think I'm good with my C6 for a while.

Last edited by csf; 04-24-2019 at 11:40 AM.
JerriVette (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 01:40 PM
xcaliber501
Racer

Received 329 Likes on 124 Posts

Modern cars including the C7s and C8, whatever it ends up looking like, are too technology laden for me. The C6 was really the last of the pure drivers cars that did not have all those nanny monitors and sensors poking out of every nook and cranny. Don't get me wrong, I love a good helping of tech and it's fine in my luxury daily driver. But when I get into my 'vette I want it to be just me and the road and a beautiful sounding engine. Anything more than anti-lock brakes and traction control is too much for me.

I love the looks of the C7, I think it is a gorgeous car. It's just not what I want in a sports car.

The C8? from what I can tell, with the move to a mid-engine, it's just too...."European"..... looking to me. I'm sure its' also gonna be a great car, just not to my liking. I'll pass.

If I can ever afford one, my next, and probably last 'vette will be a 2013 427

Last edited by xcaliber501; 04-24-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Keep your C6 or go for a c7 or c8?