C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 04:12 PM
Tom Gilfoy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Cheap backup camera

I saw this at Costco the other day and figured I'd try it. It's a wireless backup camera that works pretty good. The camera is solar powered so there are no batteries and the display is plugged into the cigarette lighter. It cost $110.
Sorry about the poor image of the lens but the backup picture is actually clear and perfect.

The following users liked this post:
Vettedream53 (04-25-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:09 PM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I bought a $30 one on amazon. works pretty good.

But i guess if you throw in the aftermarket head unit im into it about $300./

I debated on this one though. I just hate the frame around the license plate.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:33 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,214 Likes on 793 Posts

I like back up cam when it comes from the factory, but I wouldn’t like to have something like you have over my dash
Old 04-23-2019, 08:20 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I don't like having anything sticking out in my car either, whether that's a cell phone holder, cup holder, or BU monitor or a stand alone Garmin type GPS. If it's isn't hidded, or OEM, it doesn't belong. I may be in the minority, but that's my opinion.
I did add a BU camera, but since I have the PEM Nav unit, it does not have a video input. I didn't want to purchase an aftermarket Nav unit, although they do fit in the space provided and look OEM. I did come up with a solution to mount the BU monitor, but in a hidded, but very accessible area.
The Driver side Sunvisor. I removed the vanity assembly, and mounted the monitor in the vanity cover. (I never used the vanity mirror) so no loss of creature comfort. Now if I did that to the passenger side, I would hear screams from my navigator
When backing up, fold down the visor to see the monitor.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 04-23-2019 at 08:21 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by 4SUMERZ:
captain vette (04-24-2019), dkpnkc (04-24-2019), LS WON (04-25-2019), mikeCsix (04-24-2019), TecCrash (05-13-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 08:44 PM
05 Wreck
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

I put in a back up camera in the 05 with a new Sony head unit, but if I had an older vehicle dd without one, I'd buy this in a heart beat.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:10 AM
Shelstin
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I am not close to a costco. How about a walmart, or online. Model?
Old 04-24-2019, 09:59 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by 05 Wreck
I put in a back up camera in the 05 with a new Sony head unit, but if I had an older vehicle dd without one, I'd buy this in a heart beat.
I HAVE a 2005 model with just the base stereo so no screen just how easy is it to hook up a back up cam if you have no existing screen?
I have had estimates done and it just costs too much in the 2,500 range because they want to install a whole new stereo system with a screen.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:02 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tom Gilfoy
I saw this at Costco the other day and figured I'd try it. It's a wireless backup camera that works pretty good. The camera is solar powered so there are no batteries and the display is plugged into the cigarette lighter. It cost $110.
Sorry about the poor image of the lens but the backup picture is actually clear and perfect.

I saw this too at Costco (if it's the same unit). Is it that easy to install? Just plug n play? Or is there some kind of wiring involved?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:07 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

[QUOTE=4SUMERZ;1599279570]I don't like having anything sticking out in my car either, whether that's a cell phone holder, cup holder, or BU monitor or a stand alone Garmin type GPS. If it's isn't hidded, or OEM, it doesn't belong. I may be in the minority, but that's my opinion.
I did add a BU camera, but since I have the PEM Nav unit, it does not have a video input. I didn't want to purchase an aftermarket Nav unit, although they do fit in the space provided and look OEM. I did come up with a solution to mount the BU monitor, but in a hidded, but very accessible area.
The Driver side Sunvisor. I removed the vanity assembly, and mounted the monitor in the vanity cover. (I never used the vanity mirror) so no loss of creature comfort. Now if I did that to the passenger side, I would hear screams from my navigator
When backing up, fold down the visor to see the monitor.
[/QUOT

E] My issue would be theft. Also I use Garmin and Tom Tom external navigation units, Valentine One Laser detector and the problems I have with these aren't just leaving them out for theft but if I stick it to the windshield with the suction cup mounts, these doesn't last that long and so eventually the unit falls off. Also add lots of wires going everywhere but I tuck them inside console/interior/seats.

Now on above mount in visor, is this a difficult install and involves wiring?

Last edited by LS WON; 04-24-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:57 AM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

If you go on newegg they have a lot of backup cameras for good prices. I get all my cameras from them, in fact I just ordered another mini bullet style to do a front camera.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:00 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EviLS7
If you go on newegg they have a lot of backup cameras for good prices. I get all my cameras from them, in fact I just ordered another mini bullet style to do a front camera.
My main concern would be installation in that it must be a very simple install without more additional wiring. Go wireless?
Old 04-24-2019, 11:52 AM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
My main concern would be installation in that it must be a very simple install without more additional wiring. Go wireless?
They have wireless stuff as well. Just check out their selection, I installed a aftermarket head unit and was just plug a video wire in and tap the reverse lights to power the camera.
The following users liked this post:
LS WON (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 02:19 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I also did the drivers vanity mirror conversion works great , some wiring involved , like running small video wire from the visor screen to the rear camera & picked up power of the backup lights, so screen comes on when placed in reverse, took some time & used a dremel to cut an opening in the vanity mirror but time well spent.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:20 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EviLS7
They have wireless stuff as well. Just check out their selection, I installed a aftermarket head unit and was just plug a video wire in and tap the reverse lights to power the camera.
I'll look into this further. I just want to be able to at least see more when I back up in this car. Front would help as well.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:27 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Johnathon59
I also did the drivers vanity mirror conversion works great , some wiring involved , like running small video wire from the visor screen to the rear camera & picked up power of the backup lights, so screen comes on when placed in reverse, took some time & used a dremel to cut an opening in the vanity mirror but time well spent.
Wiring involved.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:48 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tom Gilfoy

I got this and it works great. The install is easy. I think it was making the adjustments that were more challenging. Now if I could just have one for the front of the car.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:57 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Now that I have been using this So far this back up cam from Costco works great. Very ez install. The only problem is the distortion of distance that is not adjustable as it makes objects appear very distant when in fact object is very close. The only adjustment that I can see is raising the parking ladder higher.
Anybody know is there a way to adjust the viewing distance?🤔
Old 05-12-2019, 05:36 PM
vettefool
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Now that I have been using this So far this back up cam from Costco works great. Very ez install. The only problem is the distortion of distance that is not adjustable as it makes objects appear very distant when in fact object is very close. The only adjustment that I can see is raising the parking ladder higher.
Anybody know is there a way to adjust the viewing distance?🤔
I installed the Cisco backup camera in my Honda CR-V. Easy install, wireless. Works fine but even with brightness adjusted to max, seems somewhat dim. Hey for $100 I shouldn’t have expected something great. It’s o.k.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:28 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vettefool
I installed the Cisco backup camera in my Honda CR-V. Easy install, wireless. Works fine but even with brightness adjusted to max, seems somewhat dim. Hey for $100 I shouldn’t have expected something great. It’s o.k.
Got this unit for $99 which would sell for a lot more if purchased elsewhere since Costco discounts their prices down. Works great at night too or in dark. Just would prefer to make adjustment so object wouldn't appear to be so far away when in fact it is a lot closer than indicated on monitor. It's sort of some of those side door mirrors that say objects maybe closer than it appears.

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap backup camera

Quick Reply: Cheap backup camera