Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Weight excess

Old 05-15-2019, 09:46 AM
c05v3tt3
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wheel Weight excess

Is it normal to have this many weights on the front tires? The rear tires seem to be what I'd consider normal but the fronts seem excessive. Thoughts? I seen a few post on here about road force balancing of the front tires due to unbalanced rotors. If it helps, this is a 2010 ZR1.

Front Driver side has 10
Front Passenger side has 12
Rear Driver side has 3
Rear Passenger side has 2

10 weights - Driver Front

3 weights - Driver Rear

12 weights - Passenger Front

2 weights - Passenger rear
Old 05-15-2019, 09:53 AM
saplumr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 227 Likes on 186 Posts

Not totally out of the ordinary.
The following users liked this post:
LowRyter (05-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 10:49 AM
4SUMERZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 685 Posts

Depending upon the tire installer and the balance machine, and time restraints, they will attempt to balance with the least amount of weight as possible. That is accomplished by mountimng the tire, getting the balance data, and shifting the tire position until the amount of balance weight is minimal.

2 of your tires are extremely good, while the other 2 are very reasonable The rule of thumb is the balance weights should be max 1% or less of the total weight of the tire/rim.
If a tire/rim weights 65 lbs, then 1% would be 6.5 oz of balance weights.

Assuming that each one of your blance weights is 1/4oz, then 12 would be 3oz, which is more than acceptable

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 05-15-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:23 PM
c05v3tt3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ View Post
Depending upon the tire installer and the balance machine, and time restraints, they will attempt to balance with the least amount of weight as possible. That is accomplished by mountimng the tire, getting the balance data, and shifting the tire position until the amount of balance weight is minimal.

2 of your tires are extremely good, while the other 2 are very reasonable The rule of thumb is the balance weights should be max 1% or less of the total weight of the tire/rim.
If a tire/rim weights 65 lbs, then 1% would be 6.5 oz of balance weights.

Assuming that each one of your blance weights is 1/4oz, then 12 would be 3oz, which is more than acceptable
Makes sense and each weight has a 25 on them which I suspect is as you mention...1/4 of an oz a piece. I appreciate the confirmation and explanation.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:24 PM
dr_gallup
CF Senior Member

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Some brands of tires are better than others. My car came with Coopers and had quite a bit of weights, I just put on Michelins and no wheel has more than 3.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:11 PM
ErikR
CF Senior Member

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Back in the day, before lead became the devil, the weights themselves would have been smaller and less noticeable. The steel (fe) weights are larger for their weight.

I balance my own motorcycle tires and bought several pounds of stick-on lead weights before they became an issue...
Old 05-15-2019, 06:34 PM
cmonkey713
CF Senior Member

Received 426 Likes on 378 Posts

Seems pretty excessive to me. I have mine road force balanced and they will rotate the tire on the rim until the location requires the absolute least amount of weight. In some cases they will try a different tire to try to get the balance as close to zero as they can. None of my vehicles have anywhere close to this many weights.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:49 PM
saplumr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 227 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713 View Post
Seems pretty excessive to me. I have mine road force balanced and they will rotate the tire on the rim until the location requires the absolute least amount of weight. In some cases they will try a different tire to try to get the balance as close to zero as they can. None of my vehicles have anywhere close to this many weights.
We all know one major problem is inadequate equipment plus inadequate knowledge and rushing just to get the job done.
The following users liked this post:
mikeCsix (05-17-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 08:04 PM
cmonkey713
CF Senior Member

Received 426 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr View Post
We all know one major problem is inadequate equipment plus inadequate knowledge and rushing just to get the job done.
Unfortunately true.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:01 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Received 234 Likes on 190 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

The wheels are bent....
Old 05-16-2019, 12:50 AM
BackInBlack05
CF Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr View Post
Then there's the desire (or lack thereof) to pay for it.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:21 AM
1Willy1
CF Senior Member

Received 192 Likes on 160 Posts

service everywhere sucks , expecting a tire shop to remove the tires and re mount them until they find the sweet spot is never going to happen

slap the weights on and "NEXTTTTTTTTTTTTTT"
Old 05-16-2019, 07:26 AM
enventr
CF Senior Member

Received 295 Likes on 276 Posts

On my old C4, I had chrome ZR1 wheels (repro) I ordered it on line and they ran a special with the tire that I wanted. They checked the last tire and said the rim was out of spec and were waiting for the new rims to arrive so that they all could be balanced correctly.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:01 AM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Received 234 Likes on 190 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by 1Willy1 View Post
service everywhere sucks , expecting a tire shop to remove the tires and re mount them until they find the sweet spot is never going to happen

slap the weights on and "NEXTTTTTTTTTTTTTT"
Balance machines check the inside of the wheel with a laser in order to determine an out of round condition. They check the tire for an out of round condition using an external roller. Then the machine tells you how to relocate the tire on the rim to have them compliment each other. Only works if the wheel is out of round though.

It's not trial and error. Unfortunately, if you drive the car hard, you can rotate the tires on the rims and now you've got an out of balance condition again. The best policy is to just have things right to begin with.

If the op jacks the car up, sets up his phone to video the wheel rotating from the inside (under the car), then spins the front wheels, he'll see the inside of the rim is bent and running out. It'll coincide with the wheel weights, but just watch the edge of the barrel as it spins and you'll see it. It's easily fixable, I did my own.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:28 AM
c05v3tt3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
Some brands of tires are better than others. My car came with Coopers and had quite a bit of weights, I just put on Michelins and no wheel has more than 3.
No doubt, and if it matters these are the original Michelin Pilot Sport run flats so they may require more weight?

A few pics of the front driver's side tire.

Original run flats that came with the car.

Tires date shows 19th week of 2009. You can still see the Michelin guy on the tires tread.

Front Driver side tire. 285/30/19

Last edited by c05v3tt3; 05-16-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:37 AM
c05v3tt3
CF Senior Member

Given the responses so far, it seems this will vary greatly depending on the tire, shop, skill set, etc.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:38 AM
c05v3tt3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
The wheels are bent....
By wheel you mean tire or rim or both?
Old 05-16-2019, 09:44 AM
marinablu67
CF Senior Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Are the wheels OEM or aftermarket?
Old 05-16-2019, 09:45 AM
c05v3tt3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post
Balance machines check the inside of the wheel with a laser in order to determine an out of round condition. They check the tire for an out of round condition using an external roller. Then the machine tells you how to relocate the tire on the rim to have them compliment each other. Only works if the wheel is out of round though.

It's not trial and error. Unfortunately, if you drive the car hard, you can rotate the tires on the rims and now you've got an out of balance condition again. The best policy is to just have things right to begin with.

If the op jacks the car up, sets up his phone to video the wheel rotating from the inside (under the car), then spins the front wheels, he'll see the inside of the rim is bent and running out. It'll coincide with the wheel weights, but just watch the edge of the barrel as it spins and you'll see it. It's easily fixable, I did my own.
Interesting, I probably should have scrolled down further before responding to your previous post. I should also note that I don't have any vibration issues or drive-line issues at this time such as the infamous 70-80 mph vibration I've seen on the forum stickies. I wonder if the bent rim is from the factory or due to road conditions or both? If you've fixed (with balancing I presume) your own then it seems to me it may be more common then I would have thought. I'll have to check it out as you suggested to see for myself but it's not something I commonly look for when under the car. Good feedback either way though.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:47 AM
c05v3tt3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by marinablu67 View Post
are the wheels oem or aftermarket?
oem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Weight excess

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: