C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM drop when letting of throttle - Corvette C6

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 07:54 AM
Kristian Petrovski
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM drop when letting of throttle - Corvette C6

HELP! ( videos below (post number 5) to describe what i experienced)

I'm in the market to buy a C6. I test drove it the other day, and i noticed something when driving slow. Let's say i'm doing 20 mph and it's in (D)rive. As soon as i let off the throttle, the RPM's drop to idle at about 850 RPM. As soon as i give some gas to maintain my speed, the RPM's go up to maybe 1500-2000 RPM and stay there as long as i give it a little throttle. Is this normal? Is this normally how autos behave? I have driven another auto car before (not corvette) that did the same thing. The Corvette is a 2006 Auto. HELP!

Last edited by Kristian Petrovski; 06-01-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:54 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,905 Likes on 1,919 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Something is wrong with that car. You DEFINITELY do not need to buy a Corvette.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:00 AM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,222 Likes on 797 Posts

It’s normal to RPM to drop without any throttle
Old 06-01-2019, 11:15 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Any mods? Sounds like it might have a torque converter in it.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:17 AM
Kristian Petrovski
Heel & Toe

I found some videos that match exactly what i mean.

On this top video you can see in the 00:03 mark how the RPM's drop to idle as he lets off the throttle

On this bottom video the same happens at exactly the 01:05 mark, notice how the car's RPM's go down to idle as he starts coasting without throttle.

These 2 videos represent the behaviour I'm experiencing, do all vettes do this? Is it something to worry about?

Last edited by Kristian Petrovski; 06-01-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:17 AM
Kristian Petrovski
Heel & Toe

The car is bone stock according to owner.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:22 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Not tracking. RPM goes up when you push throttle in and RPM goes down when you let off of it. Sounds perfectly normal to me.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:27 AM
Kristian Petrovski
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by SPSandman
Not tracking. RPM goes up when you push throttle in and RPM goes down when you let off of it. Sounds perfectly normal to me.
You can check out the 2 videos i posted above at their respective time-stamps. Imagine having a manual car and you press and hold down the clutch when you let go off the throttle. The RPM's drop down to idle within a second, whereas it will take some time if you're engine braking.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:33 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Kristian, maybe the best thing to do is test drive a couple more C6's. That way you can judge for yourself what is normal or not. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
SPSandman (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 02:07 PM
Narddog
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 111 Posts

Should we tell him, guys?
Bruze (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 02:19 PM
Kristian Petrovski
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Narddog

Go ahead...I've driven manuals all my life, so I'm really not that used to autos. Did you check the vids?
Old 06-01-2019, 02:39 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,510 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by Narddog
He will figure it out on his own probably. Maybe.
Narddog (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 03:28 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm apologize to the OP. But guys, this is not a way to treat someone (especially a newbie) that comes to the Corvette Forum looking for help. We were all newbie's at one point or another may have asked a question seemingly something to silly or obvious to everybody else here. That's how you learn. By asking.
The following 3 users liked this post by Smokeysvette:
I B Old (06-03-2019), kevinkar (06-01-2019), owc6 (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 05:59 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kristian Petrovski
You can check out the 2 videos i posted above at their respective time-stamps. Imagine having a manual car and you press and hold down the clutch when you let go off the throttle. The RPM's drop down to idle within a second, whereas it will take some time if you're engine braking.
You stated yourself "I have driven another auto car before (not corvette) that did the same thing."

The first video he is going super slow. What does the Vette do after revving it high and at a high speed? Would need to see a bit more from the Vette in question to see if it is out of ordinary.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:01 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Smokeysvette
I'm apologize to the OP. But guys, this is not a way to treat someone (especially a newbie) that comes to the Corvette Forum looking for help. We were all newbie's at one point or another may have asked a question seemingly something to silly or obvious to everybody else here. That's how you learn. By asking.
Not the way to treat someone? Que?

People answered him and without more information we can't say if it is out of the ordinary or not. Those two videos aren't the car in question and need more sample size than a single drive. And if they are behaving just like he is seeing as well as the auto he drove in a different vehicle, it doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

As mentioned, OP should look at some other Vettes to see if they behave similarly. I don't think it is strange.

Last edited by SPSandman; 06-01-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:20 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SPSandman
Not the way to treat someone? Que?

People answered him and without more information we can't say if it is out of the ordinary or not. Those two videos aren't the car in question and need more sample size than a single drive. And if they are behaving just like he is seeing as well as the auto he drove in a different vehicle, it doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

As mentioned, OP should look at some other Vettes to see if they behave similarly. I don't think it is strange.
Smokysvette is right. No need to be flippant, dismissive, sarcastic and dickish. If you think that's OK then your friends must not like being around you. No need to treat the new guy like that. Pretty unfriendly to do that.

And you don't need "more information" to answer him. It's an automatic - the revs drop when you let off the gas as all cars do. THAT'S the answer. No larger sample size. No extra test drives. All automatic Vettes behave similarly.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:22 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkar
Smokysvette is right. No need to be flippant, dismissive, sarcastic and dickish. If you think that's OK then your friends must not like being around you. No need to treat the new guy like that. Pretty unfriendly to do that.

And you don't need "more information" to answer him. It's an automatic - the revs drop when you let off the gas as all cars do. THAT'S the answer. No larger sample size. No extra test drives. All automatic Vettes behave similarly.
What are the chances this is a legit question?

Get notified of new replies

To RPM drop when letting of throttle - Corvette C6

Old 06-01-2019, 06:56 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
What are the chances this is a legit question?
If it's not legit, haven't we all learned to ignore it and move on by now? If it's not legit and everyone answers with a-hole answers, that just feeds the trolls and makes them happy so they keep on trolling.

If it is legitimate, then there's no reason to be a-holes.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:39 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kevinkar

The only flippant and dickish I see is you and Smokys. Little over sensitive? Get over yourself. If you actually read what I said earlier... I said it was normal. He didn't like my answer and said I need to rewatch his videos. Which don't really show much of anything. So I gave him the benefit of the doubt and replied to that.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:37 AM
Kristian Petrovski
Heel & Toe

I guess some of you maybe misunderstood me or something. Yea I know that maybe the question did sound silly, but I just wanted to make sure. When driving low to moderate speed in a relative high gear, the tachometer drops to idle (850 RPM) IMMEDIATELY when letting go of the throttle, kinda like i just pressed down the clutch in a manual. Thats what I felt was a bit unusual. I know that the RPM's drop slowly on moderate-higher speeds when letting of gas (aka engine braking). I'lll thank you all for your replys, and I'll se if i can test drive another vette to make sure.

Quick Reply: RPM drop when letting of throttle - Corvette C6