C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$90 Detail, What Could Possibly Go Wrong, Will Find Out Friday

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:41 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Old 06-12-2019, 12:26 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
For $90 bux there is no way in hell this car is having a good paint correction. As a pro detailer that had a reputation as Silicon Valley's best(I sold the shop to a competitor) what I suspect is he has a wax that fills in the swirls and looks good for a couple weeks, maybe a few months if it is a garage queen. I have seen this so many times it is beyond comprehension. I had one shop in my area pulling that crap and when the customer complained they told him he screwed up the detail with the last wash... Total scam. Can't say this is happening here, and it may be wonderful, but I seriously doubt it.
To do true paint correction at a minimum is 6 hours if light, 8+ if heavy. That puts the guy at $11/hour...
Crap my mini detail,was to buff a C6 in 30 minutes with Zaino's All-In-One and have it look really good for the normal consumer, who is clueless, but that did not get rid of all the swirls, just the very, very light surface marks and cleaned up what the Clay bar didn't get and it shined like nobody's business by adding a 5 minute Clear Seal coat.
Customer drove away ecstatic and gave me 5 stars on Yelp. In reality when I put my detailing lights on it it was a mess. But what the customer was willing to pay, was a big part of what was done, and darlinks we always went above and beyond.
When doing the annual full detail on my car it typically takes 14 or so hours with just the buffer to get all of the swirls and scratches out of the paint. For $90 you're probably getting some type of filler that covers the scratches, but does not remove them.
The following users liked this post:
Steel City (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 01:02 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
When doing the annual full detail on my car it typically takes 14 or so hours with just the buffer to get all of the swirls and scratches out of the paint. For $90 you're probably getting some type of filler that covers the scratches, but does not remove them.
Even if that becomes the case if I do it every four months with four months in for winter storage it cost me $180 to have the car looking good all year. Who is ahead of the game, me or you. I don't have to lift a finger to do this while you break your *** for 14 hrs.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:54 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
Even if that becomes the case if I do it every four months with four months in for winter storage it cost me $180 to have the car looking good all year. Who is ahead of the game, me or you. I don't have to lift a finger to do this while you break your *** for 14 hrs.
Maybe so, but my car genuinely looks good all year with or without wax, and I don't have to put makeup on it to cover up the blemishes.

Besides, I actually enjoy spending the time making my car's paint look like a mirror. I find it very relaxing, and usually take a week's vacation every year just so I can spend time putting my car back into show condition.
Steel City (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 02:26 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Maybe so, but my car genuinely looks good all year with or without wax, and I don't have to put makeup on it to cover up the blemishes.

Besides, I actually enjoy spending the time making my car's paint look like a mirror. I find it very relaxing, and usually take a week's vacation every year just so I can spend time putting my car back into show condition.
Actually so does mine, it shines like glass when I wash it and I haven't waxed it in three years. It's at certain angles in the sun you can see the swirls and it is rough if you run your hand over the paint. I am hoping to have it corrected Friday. We'll see.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:42 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Actually so does mine, it shines like glass when I wash it and I haven't waxed it in three years. It's at certain angles in the sun you can see the swirls and it is rough if you run your hand over the paint. I am hoping to have it corrected Friday. We'll see.
For $90 it won't be corrected. It will only (maybe) be covered up.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:57 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Like I said we will see. I will post the pictures, good or bad.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:07 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

I have the porter cable and every pad and polish you can think of. It just got to be too much work for me. And if you didn't really break your *** with it and constantly apply decent pressure those swirls weren't coming out. I don't know how using a rotary is going to cover anything up, they are very powerful. It either works or it doesn't, there is no cover up part. I have seen many a guy that knows what they are doing with a rotary and never even breaking a sweat with fantastic results. Were I worked for 20 years there was a body shop next door and I was in there half the time bull shitting. You would be surprised what someone can do with a rotary in 30 minutes. I am hoping I found that guy.

Last edited by Oh Boy; 06-12-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:08 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Give or show us some pointers of the routine maintenance and detailing you have done on your ZR1 so we or at least I can learn from you. This forum is about helping not ridiculing.
Well it all starts with proper washing. I use three buckets. One is for the wheels, tires, wheel wells and exhaust. The other two are for the body. One bucket contains the car shampoo (mild Ph balanced) and the other clear water. Both have grit or dirt guards in the bottom. Using these will really help eliminate or at least cut down on swirls and fine scratches. After the wheel and so on are complete I hose the paint off to remove any loose dirt and dust. I start at the top of the car and work my way down half way. I only do a section at a time. After each section such as half the roof, I dip the wash pad in the clean water and rub it on the grit guard, then back in the shampoo bucket and again rub it on the grit guard before I start the next section, which is normally half the hood and the upper half of the front fender. Once I have completed the upper half of the car I do the lower half. This is because that is the area where the most dirt will be and this way you have less chance of getting any of that on the upper surface if it should get stuck in the wash pad. Once the car is completely washed I will use the hose with a nozzle to rinse it off. I go on more step in the rinse process and I remove the nozzle and do what I referred to as a sheet rinse.
Next is my drying process. I normally pull the car in to the garage so it is in the shade and I use my electric leaf blower to remove 90% of the water and I make sure to really concentrate on the areas that hold water. Once I have done this I mist and area with my detail spray and dry it with a special waffle weave drying towel. The detail spray has the ability to encapsulate the water that is left and it also help enhance the shine so I do two step in one. I also dry the door sills and jambs, all around the hatch area and the engine bay.
I suggest to anyone that ask, to always use a top quality auto shampoo with a near perfect Ph balance, a top quality was pad, and specific drying towels. If you don't have a leaf blower and you don't mind spending the money there are a few different types of hot air blowers just for this purpose.
I leave it at this for now and not go into the next steps in detailing. But what a lot of people do not realize, is if all you do is wash and wax the car, while it may look good at ten feet, up close the depth is not there and the swirls and fine scratch's really show. Those along with the impurities stuck in the paint (clay barring to remove) will defuse the light in different directions and you lose the deep wet look.
Steel City (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 03:21 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

These are the swirls that hopefully will be coming out:

Old 06-12-2019, 03:27 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,914 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just remember that even if it looks perfect they might have used a product with a filler to hide the swirls. If so they will return after a few washes.

Good luck, I hope your happy.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:33 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

These are the swirls that hopefully will be coming out:

I am not going to say that this gut will not get them out, and he may with the correct polish and the rotary buffer. The clear coat on a Corvette is hard and it but it is also thin so one little mistake and the clear coat is gone. If he has a lot of experience then he should be able to accomplish it. I would ask him if he will be able to get them out with his process. Like some people have mention there are fill properties in certain waxes and glazes that make the paint look almost perfect, but they don't last. When you take the car in on Friday show these to him and be up front, if he has been doing this as long as he told you he has he will be able to tell you yes or know. Keep us informed on how he does. If in fact he can correct your paint that will last and do in in less then a day for $90, he will put some details out of business in that area.
Look at you picture of your hood and the what I believe is the sun and now look at my hood, First picture in in my garage.

This one is outside

Last edited by BWF07; 06-12-2019 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Add a photo
Old 06-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BWF07
I am not going to say that this gut will not get them out, and he may with the correct polish and the rotary buffer. The clear coat on a Corvette is hard and it but it is also thin so one little mistake and the clear coat is gone. If he has a lot of experience then he should be able to accomplish it. I would ask him if he will be able to get them out with his process. Like some people have mention there are fill properties in certain waxes and glazes that make the paint look almost perfect, but they don't last. When you take the car in on Friday show these to him and be up front, if he has been doing this as long as he told you he has he will be able to tell you yes or know. Keep us informed on how he does. If in fact he can correct your paint that will last and do in in less then a day for $90, he will put some details out of business in that area.
Look at you picture of your hood and the what I believe is the sun and now look at my hood, First picture in in my garage.

This one is outside
When I made the appointment I had my car with me and showed him the swirls. He said he will take them out. Look the bottom line is I seen his work, if he did indeed use fillers I wouldn't know anyway because obviously I am not the one who will be washing these cars over time to see the filler disappear. There are literally no detail shops near me, closest being maybe 40-50 miles. Like I said previously if it is a coverup deal so be it. My car will look great for 4 months and $90. The next time I will just let him him do his $50 detail, wash, clay bar and hand wax. So for $140 a year my car will look perfect. Hell the other day I took my son to this new taco place for lunch and it cost me $125!
Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

When I made the appointment I had my car with me and showed him the swirls. He said he will take them out.
I honestly hope he does, and if so it's one incredible deal. If possible find out what products and methods he uses. I'm sure many of us here would be curious to know.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:27 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

NO FU_KING WAY he is doing all that for $90. ........................................ .....
I had a guy offer me something similar but as I watched him work on somebody else's car he was not using a piece of clay he was using a synthectic clay bar glove during the wash and then he used some kind of liquid wax. I told him that I wanted him to use a clay bar, a piece of clay that he cannot drop on the ground and he told me no that he would not do that for any price.
I wash, clay-bar, polish and hand wax my car and it takes me all day! So this guy says that he will.................................

1. Wash your car.
2. Clay Bar your car.
3. Polish your car.
4. and hand wax your car. all for $90?

Please watch him and tell us what he does. Polishing really does not get rid of swirls, ya really need to compound it first.

Last edited by ls1121; 06-12-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:30 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by ls1121
Polishing really does not get rid of swirls, ya really need to compound it first.
I have to disagree with you. Using Mequire's 105 and 205 compounds, and orange and white Hexlogic pads I have successfully removed the swirls and scratches caused by my car cover for the past 3 years.
1Willy1 (06-14-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:38 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I have to disagree with you. Using Mequire's 105 and 205 compounds, and orange and white Hexlogic pads I have successfully removed the swirls and scratches caused by my car cover for the past 3 years.
If you read the bottle it clearly says 105 COMPOUND.

Get notified of new replies

To $90 Detail, What Could Possibly Go Wrong, Will Find Out Friday

Old 06-12-2019, 06:41 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

If you read the bottle it clearly says 105 COMPOUND.
Forgive me. I thought you were referring to good old fashioned rubbing compound.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:46 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

NO FU_KING WAY he is doing all that for $90. ........................................ .....
I had a guy offer me something similar but as I watched him work on somebody else's car he was not using a piece of clay he was using a synthectic clay bar glove during the wash and then he used some kind of liquid wax. I told him that I wanted him to use a clay bar, a piece of clay that he cannot drop on the ground and he told me no that he would not do that for any price.
I wash, clay-bar, polish and hand wax my car and it takes me all day! So this guy says that he will.................................

1. Wash your car.
2. Clay Bar your car.
3. Polish your car.
4. and hand wax your car. all for $90?

Please watch him and tell us what he does. Polishing really does not get rid of swirls, ya really need to compound it first.
I will give a honest review with some pics like I said I would earlier. I know for a fact it is a real clay bar (he showed me) and the wax is a paste wax applied by hand. I don't know what brands he uses for polishing and waxing, I will get all the particulars when I drop off the car Friday. This could all be great, mediocre, or bad, like I said all I am going on on is what he told me and looking at some cars he had done. How will MY car come out, we will see Friday.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:48 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

I honestly hope he does, and if so it's one incredible deal. If possible find out what products and methods he uses. I'm sure many of us here would be curious to know.
I am just as curious as this forum, will give all the info Friday afternoon when I get car back. As long as he doesn't burn thru anything whats the worst that could happen, I get a clay and wax job for $90 that I DESPERATELY need, like I said I have spent more on lunches.

Last edited by Oh Boy; 06-12-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Quick Reply: $90 Detail, What Could Possibly Go Wrong, Will Find Out Friday