C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 08:13 PM
CorvetteZ0607
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C6 Headlights

So I need some new headlights, mine are pretty bad, but I'm kind of stuck between two options. I either plan on getting those Morimoto lights or just another set of headlight assemblies off Ebay. I'm not completely sold on the look of the morimotos, but they don't look bad. As for the assembly from Ebay, I'm just afraid I'll get them and a year or so later, maybe less and then I'll have the same problem again. What do you guys think? It's a cyber grey base model if that changes anyone's opinion lol. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:32 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It's up to personal preference, really. Both have similar light output. If you've got other aesthetic mods (or are planning on more down the road) I'd recommend the Morimotos. If you're thinking of keeping the car stock-ish, stick with the OEM units. Plenty of customization options for those too. Some food for thought:

Old 07-10-2019, 04:09 AM
Hawk68
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.supervettes.com/c6-headli...rl-lights.html
Old 07-10-2019, 04:29 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I replaced my headlight lenses (RLSebring) 4-5 years ago, and they still look new to this day. Wish I could say the same about my original transparent top. That needs replacing or refinishing.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 07-10-2019 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:35 AM
maaxx
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Corvette Z0607

you have a couple of options actually. if you are in the south, there is https://www.umnitza.com/. I went with them for my black C6. All original. Did a great job. They're in the Bay, It's been 2 years for me.

You can also do it yourself with new lenses also. A couple of sellers do sell those on the forum too.

Hope it helps.

Marc
Old 07-10-2019, 06:59 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I recently went with the Morimotos through Umnitza when I broke my OEM ones in a minor front accident. I love the look and get so many compliments on them on the car. I think it really updates an outdated looking headlight.
If you are a purist then just replace the lenses. I have gone that route in the past and the hazing came back very slightly.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:57 AM
JD C6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I went with RLSebring and replace the lens.
Here are before and after pictures.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:29 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ0607

!
Wow and I thought mine were bad!!! If you're not sold on Morimoto's I'd think about new lenses. Both the major vendors here Umnitza and RLSebring will do the lights for you. I went DIY Umnitza Lenses and Laminx clear covering and I'm very pleased. Whatever you do you can't go wrong. You'll be amazed the overall improvement in appearance just new lights can make.

I would not get complete lights from ebay unless they are list as "new".

Last edited by Dutch08; 07-10-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:07 AM
nasa08
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Lenses

My 2009 lenses are 'okay' but have a small amount of interior haze. I consider them irritating since my 2004 F-150 lenses look like they just came off the assembly line...GM needs to hire some Ford lens engineers and suppliers.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:58 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

We have the Morimoto's in stock!

-Josh
Old 07-10-2019, 05:15 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 570 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Somehow, with one little LED in that big housing, the Morimoto headlights remind me of this guy

Old 07-10-2019, 06:41 PM
sobe88
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I went with Morimotos, no regrets. Also Morimoto tail lights, LED fogs, and LED reverse lights all from VetteLights. Coincidentally VetteLights is located around here (OKC), so it worked out great.

The following 2 users liked this post by sobe88:
firemanast (07-11-2019), rc51racer (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 07:12 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wjnjr
Somehow, with one little LED in that big housing, the Morimoto headlights remind me of this guy

Hardly, the LED is far from little, also the housing is taken up on the sides with the turn signal LED's and then the L on the bottom. I think it fills out perfectly. It's OK to not like them, but you don't need to make crap up to not like them.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:31 AM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 570 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Hey man, it's all in fun, no harm intended. The stock headlights kind of remind me of a multi eyed monster in a bad sci fi movie, but I like both looks. The only thing that really matters is what YOU like on YOUR car. It's all good.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:58 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 262 Posts

So I need some new headlights, mine are pretty bad, but I'm kind of stuck between two options. I either plan on getting those Morimoto lights or just another set of headlight assemblies off Ebay. I'm not completely sold on the look of the morimotos, but they don't look bad. As for the assembly from Ebay, I'm just afraid I'll get them and a year or so later, maybe less and then I'll have the same problem again. What do you guys think? It's a cyber grey base model if that changes anyone's opinion lol. Thanks!
Based on your user name, I assume you have a 2007 (2005-2008) which means you have the gray sealant inside the grooves of these housings. We just completed a similar upgrade for another customer and if you follow our DIY youtube video linked below, the job is reasonably easy.

You have a very badly ruined set of lenses on your current lights but here's a good before and after setup.

Umnitza Video:

Customer Video:

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
4-5 years ago, and they still look new to this day. Wish I could say the same about my original transparent top. That needs replacing or refinishing.
That's not bad considering 4-5 years ago, the OEMs were the only ones available. Usually OEM are good for about 4 -5 years, then they start crazing again. keep a watch out for that.
Originally Posted by maaxx
Hi Corvette Z0607
you have a couple of options actually. if you are in the south, there is https://www.umnitza.com/. I went with them for my black C6. All original. Did a great job. They're in the Bay, It's been 2 years for me.
Hope it helps.
Marc

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
I recently went with the Morimotos through Umnitza when I broke my OEM ones in a minor front accident. I love the look and get so many compliments on them on the car. I think it really updates an outdated looking headlight.
If you are a purist then just replace the lenses. I have gone that route in the past and the hazing came back very slightly.

Originally Posted by Dutch08
Wow and I thought mine were bad!!! If you're not sold on Morimoto's I'd think about new lenses. Both the major vendors here Umnitza and will do the lights for you. I went DIY Umnitza Lenses and Laminx clear covering and I'm very pleased. Whatever you do you can't go wrong. You'll be amazed the overall improvement in appearance just new lights can make.

I would not get complete lights from ebay unless they are list as "new".

Many ebay lights we've seen recently have been pretty good, but we've had a lot of experience with customers shipping them to us to repair and many times items break in shipping (particularly the mounting bolts) because a lot of ebay used sellers once they get your payment don't put a lot of care into shipping. so be careful to request additional packaging material, tell the seller if you find a set you'll pay them $15 to get more packaging material to insure proper shipping.

Originally Posted by nasa08
My 2009 lenses are 'okay' but have a small amount of interior haze. I consider them irritating since my 2004 F-150 lenses look like they just came off the assembly line...GM needs to hire some Ford lens engineers and suppliers.
GM doesn't make the lenses. They outsource it. They just need to outsource it to the same Ford OE supplier

Old 07-11-2019, 04:15 PM
CorvetteZ0607
Advanced

Originally Posted by info@umnitza.com
Based on your user name, I assume you have a 2007 (2005-2008) which means you have the gray sealant inside the grooves of these housings. We just completed a similar upgrade for another customer and if you follow our DIY youtube video linked below, the job is reasonably easy.

You have a very badly ruined set of lenses on your current lights but here's a good before and after setup.

Umnitza Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n6clVRtx8Q&t=413s

Customer Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgDnEhT5wgE&t=63s

That's not bad considering 4-5 years ago, the OEMs were the only ones available. Usually OEM are good for about 4 -5 years, then they start crazing again. keep a watch out for that.

Many ebay lights we've seen recently have been pretty good, but we've had a lot of experience with customers shipping them to us to repair and many times items break in shipping (particularly the mounting bolts) because a lot of ebay used sellers once they get your payment don't put a lot of care into shipping. so be careful to request additional packaging material, tell the seller if you find a set you'll pay them $15 to get more packaging material to insure proper shipping.

GM doesn't make the lenses. They outsource it. They just need to outsource it to the same Ford OE supplier
Thanks for the reply! I actually have a 2009 base model, I made my account a little before I got a Vette and Z06's have always been my obsession lol. Hmm, 4-5 years and then all over again huh? Are the morimoto/umnitza c7 style upgrades likely to craze as well? And what's the longevity like for LEDs?
Old 07-11-2019, 04:30 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 262 Posts

Thanks for the reply! I actually have a 2009 base model, I made my account a little before I got a Vette and Z06's have always been my obsession lol. Hmm, 4-5 years and then all over again huh? Are the morimoto/umnitza c7 style upgrades likely to craze as well? And what's the longevity like for LEDs?
Short answer, no one can know. The Morimoto style headlights are made with a different outer lens than the OEM, as such our very strong suspicion is that it will last easily 10 years, which is why the warranty is offered.
The great news about a set of Morimoto lights that we sell is that a) you can keep the standard lens, b) you can get a spare set of lenses from us from one of the 20+ Morimotos we've swapped out with our clear lenses and c) You can put our clear lenses onto a Morimoto headlight. So you have choices.

In 2008, we were on the forefront of LED technology when we introduced our angel eyes with LED, we've had probably less than a handful after having sold 20K+ units fail for whatever reason. I run our LED angel eyes on every car, never once had a failure. So GENERALLY with proper engineering which we believe the Morimoto headlights have, they are going to likely outlast your ownership of the car in 99% of cases...easily 10+ years in our opinion given our angel eyes are coming up on 12th year of operation.

Give us a call or PM is the "a, b, c" options sound like the way to go for you.
-

Here's a further sample of our work when we open the lights, The most important photo is actually the second one down where you can see the Zen6 lenses we put on as CLEAR vs the Morimoto lenses with built in gasket and slightly smoked. It's hard to see on photos, but the clear lenses do make the insides of these headlights "pop" more.

Last edited by info@umnitza.com; 07-11-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Headlights

Old 07-11-2019, 04:35 PM
CorvetteZ0607
Advanced

Originally Posted by info@umnitza.com
Short answer, no one can know. The Morimoto style headlights are made with a different outer lens than the OEM, as such our very strong suspicion is that it will last easily 10 years, which is why the warranty is offered.
The great news about a set of Morimoto lights that we sell is that a) you can keep the standard lens, b) you can get a spare set of lenses from us from one of the 20+ Morimotos we've swapped out with our clear lenses and c) You can put our clear lenses onto a Morimoto headlight. So you have choices.

In 2008, we were on the forefront of LED technology when we introduced our angel eyes with LED, we've had probably less than a handful after having sold 20K+ units fail for whatever reason. I run our LED angel eyes on every car, never once had a failure. So GENERALLY with proper engineering which we believe the Morimoto headlights have, they are going to likely outlast your ownership of the car in 99% of cases...easily 10+ years in our opinion given our angel eyes are coming up on 12th year of operation.

Give us a call or PM is the "a, b, c" options sound like the way to go for you.
-

Here's a further sample of our work when we open the lights, The most important photo is actually the second one down where you can see the Zen6 lenses we put on as CLEAR vs the Morimoto lenses with built in gasket and slightly smoked. It's hard to see on photos, but the clear lenses do make the insides of these headlights "pop" more.

Excellent! Thank you!
Old 07-11-2019, 07:02 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
I replaced my headlight lenses (RLSebring) 4-5 years ago, and they still look new to this day. Wish I could say the same about my original transparent top. That needs replacing or refinishing.
That's what I would do. I dont really like the morimoto units though, I think they look weird on the c6. But as saod, its personal preference.
The following users liked this post:
TorchRedFred (07-11-2019)
Old 08-02-2023, 09:51 PM
kmj2007
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morimoto Headlight Assembly Alternative for C6

What LED headlight assembly is a close 2nd for Morimoto? I have seen a couple on Amazon for less cost than Morimoto.

Quick Reply: C6 Headlights