C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Noise Insulating

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 08:10 AM
bobeyoung
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Are those the 3-pieces of rubber foam that you just drop in? (easy install) 1 behind each seat and one matt for the rear cargo??
Yes. I installed them after putting in the insulation kit. It does help.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:39 AM
southlake
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They are. And to me the difference in noise was well worth the price.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:41 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Switching to non-runflats quiets the noise down too.
Indeed. Switched from the Goodyear trash that came on the car (not the original tires but the same as OEM) to Michelin Pilot Super Sports a few months ago and it did help with road noise and was a massive improvement in handling and ride quality.

But I wanted to further improve the inside comfort. I drive back to Louisiana every year around Christmas time (950 mile trip one-way) and some of the interstates use that type of blacktop that is more like driving on a gravel road so there is such a strong, constant road noise and it really fatigues you. And so many roads and interstates are grooved which also make a ton of noise.

The kit along with insulating the doors has really made a huge difference in interior comfort. Both sound and heat transmission to the cabin have been reduced.

The car also feels much more "solid". You really can feel it.

Sure it added some weight, probably about 50 lbs but I can't notice any difference in acceleration.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:56 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Super Sports get LOUD after like a year. They have like an outer layer of soft quiet grippy tread, then a big layer of louder, harder tread.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:52 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
Indeed. Switched from the Goodyear trash that came on the car (not the original tires but the same as OEM) to Michelin Pilot Super Sports a few months ago and it did help with road noise and was a massive improvement in handling and ride quality.

But I wanted to further improve the inside comfort. I drive back to Louisiana every year around Christmas time (950 mile trip one-way) and some of the interstates use that type of blacktop that is more like driving on a gravel road so there is such a strong, constant road noise and it really fatigues you. And so many roads and interstates are grooved which also make a ton of noise.

The kit along with insulating the doors has really made a huge difference in interior comfort. Both sound and heat transmission to the cabin have been reduced.

Sure it added some weight, probably about 50 lbs but I can't notice any difference in acceleration.
Reducing the heat from getting into the interior makes it alot more comfortable too.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:53 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bobeyoung
Yes. I installed them after putting in the insulation kit. It does help.
I just did the 3 piece insulation kit. EZ install.
The following users liked this post:
bobeyoung (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 10:04 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by BMF_C6
Check Out This Thread

Check out what I did to get rid of the road noise, I can't tell you how much it improved riding in my vette. Be sure to look all the way down to #31 - there is the cabin vent that I modified that I think made a hell of a difference, especially with the road noise coming from the passenger side rear. I also pulled the rear wheel tubs and did wheel wells underneath but didn't use Second Skin - used the aluminum backed flexible flashing from Home Depot........

Along with the helping with the heat - this is by far the best thing that I did for riding experience.
I didn’t modify the cabin vent that is behind the passenger speaker. I rolled up several sheets of the Noico closed cell foam and stuffed as much as I could fit in the space there. Definitely made a difference. Before there was a lot of road noise coming from there.

As for the wheel tubs, I have yet to line them with the closed cell foam. There actually is some foam there from the factory but it is minimal. Going to take care of this once this heat wave passes.

Last edited by Spaceme1117; 09-30-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:19 AM
Thera p
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 82 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303318253746

I've insulated my entire GS but just recently added this to my transparent top. Looks great, keeps things much cooler on hot days and further reduces noise. Good add for me.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:45 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117

Are Michelin Pilot super sports run flat tires or non run flats?
Old 10-12-2019, 01:49 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Thera p
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303318253746

I've insulated my entire GS but just recently added this to my transparent top. Looks great, keeps things much cooler on hot days and further reduces noise. Good add for me.
Yes on sunny days that translucent top heats up the interior. I have both tops as I got the dual top option. Next time I'll just stick with the painted top (I know better now) since I use that more as it insulates the interior the best less prone to temp changes and keeps it much quieter inside.

Quick Reply: Road Noise Insulating