C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Throttle Body Mod, Free, Need Feedback for Design

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 11:19 AM
Pittcorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Got a 2012 C6 Manual always plugged in to my Diablo Trinity. If you need any more testers.
The following users liked this post:
Mike@SolerEngr (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 04:47 PM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 237 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

When you get ready to do an LS2 I have an 06 Auto complete stock I would be happy to test for you. Located in South Mississippi.
Mike@SolerEngr (03-09-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 09:17 AM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I received mine a couple days ago and installed it. Impressions:
First off this TB is really nice, well made and looks great. Easy install, as I removed my CNC ported TB and did a visual comparison. The Soler actually looks better inside throat area, porting is cleaner/smoother and the sonic cuts open it up even larger then my CNC ported version. After install started engine, NO CODES! and I could immediately feel the throttle was more snappy? or should I say the throttle response was quicker. Of course it started dumping down rain outside so I wasn't able to take a drive but will do that very soon. So far very pleased and I can't see any negatives with this unit. In fact, just initial impression for this type of mod, ease of install, HP gain, responsiveness, I would recommend this TB to EVERYONE!!

Last edited by Todds427; 03-08-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:21 PM
LilNutSac
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 286 Posts

Received mine promptly, I’m not far away. Looks pretty sweet! Nobody will ever see it though. Installed over the weekend. Did the full reset method. Install was as simple as can be. 4 bolts and two clamps.

Eww

No codes. Took a few miles before it would return to idle as quickly as before (as expected). Only drove a few miles today. Will update with impressions.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:29 PM
datgumify
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@SolerEngr
Thanks, Omega. That makes it one less possibility we have to test. See correction on post #1.

Our understanding is that the 05-08's came with the LS2; correct? The throttle body p/n is different for those (aka silver blade TB). Which we'll take a look at right after this one.
I will gladly test your throttle bodies for the LS2, I don't have any dyno numbers but I could test real world feel and drive-ability. Just a matter of y'all sending a unit to me. I'll gladly help and provide as much feedback as I can
The following 2 users liked this post by datgumify:
jowian (05-29-2020), Mike@SolerEngr (03-09-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 11:34 PM
datgumify
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by datgumify
I will gladly test your throttle bodies for the LS2, I don't have any dyno numbers but I could test real world feel and drive-ability. Just a matter of y'all sending a unit to me. I'll gladly help and provide as much feedback as I can
Forgot to mention that it's an M6 with the LS2 05 Z51
The following 2 users liked this post by datgumify:
jowian (05-29-2020), Mike@SolerEngr (03-09-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 02:38 AM
eddie09
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I'm finally pretty much over the flu so I was well enough today to finally install the Soler Throttle Body. Very simple and straight-forward. I kept the Vararam Intake and their Wedge with the TB install. Before giving my driving impressions, first things first. No codes appeared upon starting the engine. After 20 minutes of driving, some of which were spirited driving, still no codes. Idle rpm's at startup is pretty much the same between stock and Soler: approx 6500; Idle rpm's after 20 minutes of driving (coolant temp approx 220) between stock and Soler is virtually the same @ 5500; with the Soler TB, idle is smooth and steady (no surging) with engine cold at startup and with the engine at operating temp after 20 minutes of driving.

Driving Impressions:

with the Soler TB, I was pleasantly surprised how smooth my manual shifts have become using the paddle shifters, both upshifts and downshifts (what is this? a transmission mod?) with the stock TB, it was more jerky. with the Soler, the shifts are as quick but happens a lot smoother.

if the above is like an unexpected bonus, this one takes the cake: for some reason, when you get on the gas pedal, power is now being delivered at a very even rate and progressive throughout the entire rpm range (as opposed to being explosive or releasing the beast). this newfound smoothness in power delivery complements the newfound smoothness in the transition between gears. the result is a much better behaved car and better control! I found myself smiling and saying, "yes"! how did that happen? what - by switching TBs? but CF, that's my honest impression and above all the "feel" I got in driving the car now.

so, I couldn't be more pleased. and it's suppose to even get better when the computer is given time to learn the changes. Thanks to Mike and Soler Performance for the opportunity to test their throttle body. I'm not in any way affiliated with their company. I wasn't even expecting of getting one by participating in their program cause a few months back, I just emailed them and asked if they are thinking of making a TB for the LS3. I do believe they have a winner here.

Stock TB on top, Soler on the bottom

Stock TB on leff, Soler on Right

Installing Soler TB

Soler TB Installed

Soler TB at Startup - Idle

Soler TB after 20 Minutes of Driving

Last edited by eddie09; 03-11-2020 at 02:55 AM.
Mike@SolerEngr (03-11-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 09:41 AM
LilNutSac
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 286 Posts

2013 Grand Sport - M6 - Exhaust/Tune only
Okay. Preface, I daily my C6 and have for six years now. I know it pretty well. So, drove around for a week after the overnight battery disconnect/re-learn procedure. About a tank and a half of fuel. It feels like the throttle profile has changed. Not sure if it's the relief-cuts they put at the bottom or what. But it kind of stumbles right off idle then picks up quickly. Makes driving difficult! Probably looked like it's my first time driving a manual trans car. Also, feels like I lost 25ft/lbs below 2200 RPM. Hot car, cold outside. Cold car, hot outside. And vice-versa. Exactly the same. I'd hoped the ECM would "learn" this out, but it did not. Could I have gotten used to this? Probably. Could this be tuned out? Maybe. Did I reinstall the stock throttle body? Absolutely! It felt great everywhere else. Throttle response felt great and possibly picked up some power on the top end. But the throttle profile right off idle drove me crazy. Like, expecting a certain amount of pedal input to pull out of a parking spot, it bogs, give a little more throttle and it's like I punched it. So, 3% throttle stumble/bog then 19% throttle! AGGHHH! How much time do you spend off-idle??? Daily driving, almost exclusively! Every stop, every gear change, always. It was a nightmare.

Visual aids are fun!

I'm a big fan of these. I had a ported TB in my '02 camaro and loved it. Wanted so badly for this to be a worthwhile mod. Maybe it just needs to be re-tuned after installing. IDK. But I'll gladly ship it on to the next tester or back to Solar. Let me know. Thanks fellas!
Also, side note; car is now running better than ever. If you've never tried the overnight battery disconnect to "reset", I'd highly recommend it!
Mike@SolerEngr (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 09:55 AM
SgtUsmc0313
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That's an interesting result, not to overstep Mike here but as of now I think you are the only one who did a full reset. I might do that to mine and see if I get similar results. Just a bolt and go I think the rest of us are pleased with results.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:25 AM
Beef97
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It's been raining pretty much non stop here in Dallas so haven't had the chance to spend more time with it. Got new Indy 500's put on my GS along with a new alignment so I'm ready to get back out and see how it goes. Just driving the few miles to Firestone and back last week, i didn't experience any problems with it but didn't push it at all either.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:47 AM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Received 530 Likes on 270 Posts

Remember, this is just a beta. We can still tweak it. So, this is where we are so far;

--------------Auto-----------------
eddie09 ->LS3 A -> Pass
ptroxx -> LS3 A -> TBD

------------Manual---------------

Beef97 -> LS3 M -> Pass, but still needs to drive more weather permitting.
LilNutSac -> LS3 M -> Fail
SgtUsmc0313 -> LS3 M -> Pass, ECM reset pending
Todds427 -> LS7 M -> Pass

I'd guess the manual drivers would have said something similar to what LilNutSac said, especially if it were nightmarish, but I'll ask anyway; could the rest of manual drivers pay attention to that first off idle throttle percent and let us know?

Here is a log of an LS3 M with our TB, courtesy of SgtUsmc0313. This a moderate pull from idle to about 60 mph, this is how the actual plot of pedal% vs. throttle% looks in his case, throttle follows pedal as expected, nothing like the graph above from LilNutSac. But we'll try to dig into what is making them behave so differently while having the same engine, same transmission, same TB.

www.solerengineering.com

Last edited by Mike@SolerEngr; 03-17-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:56 PM
SgtUsmc0313
Intermediate

As my car is my DD as well made sure to pay attention on my way home from work. Zero hesitation, as I am a fairly aggressive driver, I made sure to back off a bit to see if there was something there. If anything I would say I do not have to throttle as much to take off like before Soler TB. I ran stock tune and my lean out tune and both feel different than stock TB. It did adjust my AFR abit at lower RPM but not enough to that I couldnt leave as is.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:31 AM
bradbusa
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like I may be late to the party but if you still need ls3 manual testers, I'll volunteer
2012 base manual with vararam and monster twin disc clutch are only mods for now. It is a daily driver though, so would have plenty of opportunities to drive in City stop/go as well as back road cruising
Mike@SolerEngr (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 09:19 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,321 Likes on 892 Posts

Could someone give an explanation for the relief cuts in the blade? I don’t understand the purpose.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:50 AM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Received 530 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
Could someone give an explanation for the relief cuts in the blade? I don’t understand the purpose.
Sure.

The short answer: More flow at low throttle, right off idle w/o having to alter flow area too much.

The long/boring one: At low throttle, when the manifold vacuum is very high and the blade outer contour is in close proximity to the body contour (very small flow area), the flow is choked and becomes sonic. One of the most effective ways to increase flow rate under those conditions w/o altering area too much is by increasing the flow coefficient of the "gap/orifice". To achieve that we make axial slots on the body and small cuts on the blade, the slots and the cuts coincide in position such that when the blade is in close proximity to the body, they form a converging-diverging nozzle (C-D nozzle), that effectively increases the flow rate and accelerates the air a tad beyond sonic speed. This is used in many applications for this very purpose.

Thanks,
Beef97 (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 07:26 PM
SgtUsmc0313
Intermediate

Now we know lol
Mike@SolerEngr (03-21-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 10:17 PM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Update, I ran the car approximately 100 miles to let the ECM settle in. I did NOT do a full reset just plug and play. Easy install and the car started immediately, no error codes at all, I could initially hear a sound like Air going through the TB when giving it 1/4 to 1/2 throttle sitting still, but after driving a bit that sound went away. Now the car runs great, very quick throttle response (definitely more responsive than stock TB). Now keep in mind I had a CNC ported TB on the car and tune to go with it, this one I believe actually flows more, At least thats what my seat pants dyno tells me. I have not noticed any change in economy but I can tell you that starting from a stoplight is now much easier then with my old TB, this one allows me to control the throttle better? If that makes sense, the old TB was more like all or none and this one allows me to feather the throttle easier. No problem with shifts, no dead spots or smell of fuel and have not noticed hesitation at low end. So far very happy with it and no problems to report. I will continue to drive and provide more feedback as I obtain it. Thank you Mike for this well designed and crafted, high performance Throttle Body.

Last edited by Todds427; 03-19-2020 at 10:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Throttle Body Mod, Free, Need Feedback for Design

Old 03-19-2020, 10:24 PM
helomech
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts

Dang, how did I miss this thread. Oh well, at least I got to test the controller.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:56 AM
bruno06
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 76 Posts

If you still need testers, I have a 2011 GS, NPP exhaust, KN CAI, Chuck Cow tune, automatic. Let me know.

thank you
Old 03-22-2020, 12:38 AM
Beef97
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Finally got out to drive for a bit today. I did some very light throttle testing and i found no hesitation or jerkiness. Went on some back roads to really get on it and try out the new firestone Indy 500's and everything seems great. Well, I'm a little disappointed in my alignment because it definitely pulls to the right so I'll be taking it in on Monday to get that looked at. I don't think he had the steering wheel straight to begin with before starting the alignment. Really happy so far with the Throttle body, will hopefully get some more driving in after the alignment is fixed!

Quick Reply: C6 Throttle Body Mod, Free, Need Feedback for Design