C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help finding gold wheels for C6 GS, ZO6 , or ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 06:49 PM
gn4life
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help finding gold wheels for C6 GS, ZO6 , or ZR1

Looking for a cool set of wheels without breaking the bank too badly. Was hoping to stick to OEM GS/ZO6/ZR1 sizes
Wanting a cool gold/chrome finish or even something like this "candy copper" finish. I really love some of these gold Aodhan DSO1 & DSO5 wheels and their price points seem awesome They just don't come in wide body C6 Vette sizes. Anybody have any suggestions on where to look for OEM sized wheels with finishes like these???????? Would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance. Also not really looking for painted or powder coated finishes or wheels that are $1000 or more each.....

Old 01-01-2021, 08:30 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I think you'll have a difficult time finding what you want at under $1000 a wheel brand new. I would post a WTB (want to buy) in the for sale/wanted/trade board here and then look in local classifieds and ebay/craigslist/social-media-marketplaces.
The following 2 users liked this post by PCMusicGuy:
gn4life (01-01-2021), hippiefreak67 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 08:42 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,782 Likes on 3,046 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You could have your current wheels powder coated almost any color that you want
The following users liked this post:
hippiefreak67 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 09:34 AM
gn4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
I think you'll have a difficult time finding what you want at under $1000 a wheel brand new. I would post a WTB (want to buy) in the for sale/wanted/trade board here and then look in local classifieds and ebay/craigslist/social-media-marketplaces.
Yeah thats a good idea too. Thanks for the suggestion. Its just that shipping ussually kills most used wheel deals, but worth a shot.
Originally Posted by 449er
You could have your current wheels powder coated almost any color that you want
Its more about the gold or copper finish than color. Last time I looked into powder coating there were not any finishes that mimicked chrome or copper plating too well. Were much duller less reflective finishes. Looking for something that is as reflective as chrome. Has powder coating tech come out with something new? Maybe I'll look into.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:42 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Why not send your OEMs out to be refininshed they way you like?
The following 2 users liked this post by jimijam:
gn4life (01-01-2021), Landru (01-03-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 04:25 PM
gn4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimijam
Why not send your OEMs out to be refinished they way you like?
That's an option. 2 reasons had me put that on the back burnrer

1. Little bored with OEM style C6 wheels.

2. I'm In Ohio and shipping a large set of wheels to a place and back is pricey alone. I guess I could look at some local places though...I have not found reputable places in the Cleveland area yet that can even just do basic chrome coating. When I looked at having rims chromed in the past, it is as much, if not more than a new set of OEM knockoffs. Know any places?
Old 01-02-2021, 08:44 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,510 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Coating wheels in a high gloss metal finish is expensive. You can get like... 80% of the look with paint. I'd get some sort of test object (they make those little car like models for showing off paint colors), and spray it with a can of high gloss metal paint from home depot and see if you like it. If you're nearly satisfied with that look, have them painted by a pro in a color like that.

The other option is a wrap. Depending on what wheels you decide on, that may be a huge pain in the *** and very expensive, but wrapping wheels gets more popular every day as people want to try crazy colors and effects without ruining the value of expensive wheels.
gn4life (01-04-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 06:15 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 267 Likes on 199 Posts

My suggestion, buy another set of wheels and have them powder coated or refinished in the color that you want. As others have mentioned you’re probably not going to find a wheel in that color under a $1000 a wheel, especially if it’s forged.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:16 PM
gn4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Coating wheels in a high gloss metal finish is expensive. You can get like... 80% of the look with paint. I'd get some sort of test object (they make those little car like models for showing off paint colors), and spray it with a can of high gloss metal paint from home depot and see if you like it. If you're nearly satisfied with that look, have them painted by a pro in a color like that.

The other option is a wrap. Depending on what wheels you decide on, that may be a huge pain in the *** and very expensive, but wrapping wheels gets more popular every day as people want to try crazy colors and effects without ruining the value of expensive wheels.
With a painted finish I would still be dissatisfied, even if close.
Yeah I guess wrapping in an option too. I just didn't know how durable it would be on a wheel and with aggressive brake dust /wheel cleaner. I tried wrapping a wheel myself years ago. Its way harder than it looks on youtube.
TY for the suggestions
Old 02-03-2021, 04:32 PM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 994 Likes on 639 Posts

Came across your thread in a search I did looking for copper wheels, mainly for pics. I am deciding between chrome and a copper color for my MR vert. Those finishes you showed can be achieved through powder coat with a high gloss shine. Its just not a one and done of a single color. Check out Prismatic Powders https://www.prismaticpowders.com/ and they have tons of information and what colors are needed to achieve the finish. Most of the colors are shown on some type of wheel so you would get a visual. I was looking at Monaco Copper. They will also send you samples for a small shipping fee and they are very small samples done on aluminum. The hardest part is finding someone that can do a quality job. Check out Alloy Wheel Repair https://www.awrswheelrepair.com/, think they are a national company. I have used the ones that service the Midwest with great results for curb rash, not the vette, but my wife's Audi. They also provide a powder coat service as I inquired on this and it would have been $650 for the coat and shipping the wheels back an forth. They did not have a powder coat facility in Arkansas. I did not inquire on multiple layers of powder because it will be more. For example the Monaco Copper is a base silver, translucent copper, and clear. Not sure if that would triple the cost but it is definitely more work and 3 trips to the oven. Hope this helps. Can't recommend a chrome plater as Chromemasters in Nashville closed their doors.
gn4life (02-04-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 04:42 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,321 Likes on 892 Posts

Best looking wheel I have seen would be a set of Forgestar F14's in a Bronze finish.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:38 PM
gn4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by sramzzz
Came across your thread in a search I did looking for copper wheels, mainly for pics. I am deciding between chrome and a copper color for my MR vert. Those finishes you showed can be achieved through powder coat with a high gloss shine. Its just not a one and done of a single color. Check out Prismatic Powders https://www.prismaticpowders.com/ and they have tons of information and what colors are needed to achieve the finish. Most of the colors are shown on some type of wheel so you would get a visual. I was looking at Monaco Copper. They will also send you samples for a small shipping fee and they are very small samples done on aluminum. The hardest part is finding someone that can do a quality job. Check out Alloy Wheel Repair https://www.awrswheelrepair.com/, think they are a national company. I have used the ones that service the Midwest with great results for curb rash, not the vette, but my wife's Audi. They also provide a powder coat service as I inquired on this and it would have been $650 for the coat and shipping the wheels back an forth. They did not have a powder coat facility in Arkansas. I did not inquire on multiple layers of powder because it will be more. For example the Monaco Copper is a base silver, translucent copper, and clear. Not sure if that would triple the cost but it is definitely more work and 3 trips to the oven. Hope this helps. Can't recommend a chrome plater as Chromemasters in Nashville closed their doors.
Thanks for the info. Will take a look. Great info!!!! Candy Gold seems almost exactly what I'm looking for.

Last edited by gn4life; 02-04-2021 at 03:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help finding gold wheels for C6 GS, ZO6 , or ZR1

Quick Reply: Help finding gold wheels for C6 GS, ZO6 , or ZR1