C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard can it be to get a street/track alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 02:15 PM
HobbesTiger
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts
Default How hard can it be to get a street/track alignment?

I replaced the balancer on my GS over the summer which, of course, put the alignment out of whack. I bought new tires also to get ready for some upcoming HPDEs in Texas this fall. The Firestone store that installed the tires (did a great job--no impact and used my pucks) was not able to do the alignment as the ramps to their in-ground machine were bent. They said the parts were on back order. That's OK. I was going to be traveling on and off the next month, so no big deal. When I get back, they are still waiting on the parts. So....

I call the other two Firestone stores in the area that had in-ground racks. Made an appointment at a store about 30 minutes away, but it was a week and a half out. I show up for a 7AM appointment, the manager comes out, looks at my splitter and says 'No way. Not taking the chance." He wouldn't budge.

Just wonderful. Call Corvette World and ask them where they get their cars aligned. He tells me Five Star Chevrolet not far away. I call and the service writer he recommended said he could get me an appointment for the next day. Go in for the alignment and wait an hour for them to finally pull the car on the rack. About 30 minutes later the service writer finds me and says the tech won't do off-spec alignments. The GSM recommends an independent Porsche shop--RAC Performance. I take the info and head home.

Call RAC and they quote me $384 for an off-spec alignment. And I thought the Corvette tax was high. I decline and continue to look around. No one is willing to do an off-spec alignment? WTF?

I was about to give up and go with the EOM specs, but a few days later I get a call from the original Firestone store saying their ramps have been replaced. Do I still need the alignment. I make an appointment for this morning at 7AM.

They did a great job on the alignment and hit the specs exactly. So if you're in the North Texas area and need a street/track alignment for $100, go to the Firestone Store in Little Elm and ask for Eric or Andrew.

Last edited by HobbesTiger; 08-18-2021 at 02:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HobbesTiger:
ext (08-18-2021), JABCAT (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 02:26 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,454 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by HobbesTiger
I replaced the balancer on my GS over the summer which, of course, put the alignment out of whack. I bought new tires also to get ready for some upcoming HPDEs in Texas this fall. The Firestone store that installed the tires (did a great job--no impact and used my pucks) was not able to do the alignment as the ramps to their in-ground machine were bent. They said the parts were on back order. That's OK. I was going to be traveling on and off the next month, so no big deal. When I get back, they are still waiting on the parts. So....

I call the other two Firestone stores in the area that had in-ground racks. Made an appointment at a store about 30 minutes away, but it was a week and a half out. I show up for a 7AM appointment, the manager comes out, looks at my splitter and says 'No way. Not taking the chance." He wouldn't budge.

Just wonderful. Call Corvette World and ask them where they get their cars aligned. He tells me Five Star Chevrolet not far away. I call and the service writer he recommended said he could get me an appointment for the next day. Go in for the alignment and wait an hour for them to finally pull the car on the rack. About 30 minutes later the service writer finds me and says the tech won't do off-spec alignments. The GSM recommends an independent Porsche shop--RAC Performance. I take the info and head home.

Call RAC and they quote me $384 for an off-spec alignment. And I thought the Corvette tax was high. I decline and continue to look around. No one is willing to do an off-spec alignment? WTF?

I was about to give up and go with the EOM specs, but a few days later I get a call from the original Firestone store saying their ramps have been replaced. Do I still need t he alignment. I make an appointment for this morning at 7AM.

They did a great job on the alignment and hit the specs exactly. So if you're in the North Texas area and need a street/track alignment for $100, go to the Firestone Store in Little Elm and ask for Eric or Andrew.
thanks for the recommendation neighbor
I usually do my own but $100 is a great price and they are close.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:36 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,095 Likes on 2,079 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If I need an alignment, I just take my GS to Firestone. I give then the Toe and Camber specs I want for the front wheels and the Toe and Camber specs I want for the rear wheels.

$100 and it's gets done.

And if I have a problem later (such as maybe pulling right or left) I just take it back to them and it's adjusted for free ... I think guaranteed for a year, or something like that.
The following users liked this post:
ext (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 02:51 PM
HobbesTiger
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
If I need an alignment, I just take my GS to Firestone. I give then the Toe and Camber specs I want for the front wheels and the Toe and Camber specs I want for the rear wheels.

$100 and it's gets done.

And if I have a problem later (such as maybe pulling right or left) I just take it back to them and it's adjusted for free ... I think guaranteed for a year, or something like that.
Some Firestones won't do off-spec alignments. And many don't have the in-ground rack that I need, either. Because of the ZR1 splitter and skirts, mine can't go on an elevated rack. It's good that you have one near you that does.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:06 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

My Firestone will set the alignment specs to anything I want since I am the one paying for the alignment.

My Firestone uses an alignment rack that puts the car in the air, but it fits ok on the rack.

However, I don't have skirts on mine ... But it still sits pretty low with coil-overs on the rear.

Attachment 48331175
Old 08-18-2021, 03:43 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

In my town, finding a competent alignment shop is hard.
Plus w/ our C6s one needs a Tech II to align the steering sensor for that perfectly centered steering wheel.
Old 08-18-2021, 04:21 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kenny94945

Plus w/ our C6s one needs a Tech II to align the steering sensor for that perfectly centered steering wheel.
I guess I am lucky ... My 10 year old 2011 GS has a perfectly centered steering wheel, and it's never been adjusted with a Tech II (just regular ol' alignments)

The following 2 users liked this post by Turbo6TA:
CaptBuddy (08-18-2021), GS-2013 (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 06:05 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,002 Likes on 4,334 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

How high off the ground is your front splitter? The one & only shop I’ve taken my car to broke my OEM splitter. They replaced it but OEM parts are getting harder to find. And at $2k for the splitter I don’t want to take any chances.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:54 PM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

Received 302 Likes on 177 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
In my town, finding a competent alignment shop is hard.
If you're willing to drive down to the peninsula, Custom Alignment in Mt. View is good.

http://www.customalignment.com/
Old 08-18-2021, 08:05 PM
HobbesTiger
Racer

Originally Posted by JABCAT
How high off the ground is your front splitter? The one & only shop I’ve taken my car to broke my OEM splitter. They replaced it but OEM parts are getting harder to find. And at $2k for the splitter I don’t want to take any chances.
It's the standard ZR1 splitter and it's 4.5" off the ground. The Firestone in Little Elm has this type of in-ground rack (below) that is perfect for low cars like ours. The small extensions that you drive over to get on the rack had gotten bent somehow, probably by a heavier vehicle like a 3500 or something. Anyway, their rack was down until they could get them replaced.

The problem I had is that many shops, including some Firestone stores, still have the standard rack like this where the car must be driven over those steeper ramps.

The alignment tech did a great job and I have no reservations about recommending them.

Last edited by HobbesTiger; 08-18-2021 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:39 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

It's the standard ZR1 splitter and it's 4.5" off the ground. The Firestone in Little Elm has this type of in-ground rack (below) that is perfect for low cars like ours. The small extensions that you drive over to get on the rack had gotten bent somehow, probably by a heavier vehicle like a 3500 or something. Anyway, their rack was down until they could get them replaced.

The problem I had is that many shops, including some Firestone stores, still have the standard rack like this where the car must be driven over those steeper ramps.

The alignment tech did a great job and I have no reservations about recommending them.
Thanks for the reply to my question. My front splitter is about 3.25-3.5” off the ground so I tend to be extra cautious.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:45 PM
HobbesTiger
Racer

Originally Posted by JABCAT
Thanks for the reply to my question. My front splitter is about 3.25-3.5” off the ground so I tend to be extra cautious.
I just went and measured it--just under 4" off the ground, so I was al little off. My splitter scrapes just about everywhere, I can't imagine how careful you have to be!

The following users liked this post:
JABCAT (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 10:39 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

I just went and measured it--just under 4" off the ground, so I was al little off. My splitter scrapes just about everywhere, I can't imagine how careful you have to be!
So, it's your spliitter that is scraping and not that 3-piece air dam that points straight down under the car (located about 12-15" to the rear of the very front of the car) ?
Old 08-19-2021, 10:51 PM
HobbesTiger
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
So, it's your spliitter that is scraping and not that 3-piece air dam that points straight down under the car (located about 12-15" to the rear of the very front of the car) ?
The splitter will scrape on some inclines, like driving into a parking lot from the street or the driveway. Trust me, it makes a very distinct sound that sounds nothing like the soft rubber of the air dam.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:20 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

I have to be very careful especially around here. Getting into & out of my driveway is a chore because I have the large rolled curb where it meets the street. Thankfully I’ve got a mini cul-de-sac so I can approach at a very sharp angle. My side skirts will scrape exiting if not at a sharp angle. I plan to have the curb cut & re-poured flat.

Get notified of new replies

To How hard can it be to get a street/track alignment?

Quick Reply: How hard can it be to get a street/track alignment?