C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a good source of info on current prices.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 11:47 AM
CXRs
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for a good source of info on current prices.

Hey all, so lucky me, after only having the car on the road for a couple months, it was involved in an accident. I am currently trying to piece together some sources of info to challenge my insurance co's evaluation, but I'm not even sure where to begin. The car has a rebuilt title, and just a hair over 70k on the clock, but otherwise was in near perfect condition. They are offering me about 10k less than the going rate for the configuration(LS2 M6 Z51, everything but adaptive suspension), citing the title status. I understand the rebuilt title does not help my case, but in all the years I've been looking at the C5/C6 market, I haven't seen even rebuilt cars go for what they are offering. Anyone have any suggestions for good resources on price?
Thank you in advance!
Old 10-29-2021, 12:08 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,859 Likes on 1,807 Posts

$10k less than current market value for a non-salvage title car sounds about right to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Corvette_Ed:
jbc1995fb (10-29-2021), Kforn (10-31-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 12:19 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,004 Likes on 4,335 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
$10k less than current market value for a non-salvage title car sounds about right to me.
You can’t compare to non-rebuilt title cars. Personally, I think only $10k less is being generous.
The following 3 users liked this post by JABCAT:
FAUEE (10-29-2021), jbc1995fb (10-29-2021), killain (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 12:31 PM
CXRs
Advanced

I'm still not sure how I feel about that, because the offer they've made is 16k after transfer costs and taxes. I remember when I was looking for this car, you couldn't even find rebuilt title cars for under 20k unless they exceeded 125k odometer or were auto and still over 100k. I mean if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it seems like I won't be able to get another one for what they're offering unless I get one that's been trashed.

Last edited by CXRs; 10-29-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:59 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,409 Likes on 909 Posts

Okay so be honest to us on here. What did you pay for your car?
Old 10-29-2021, 02:14 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,004 Likes on 4,335 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Correct, you won’t be able to get another one with similar equipment and mileage for $16k, but you had to understand when you purchased it that it’s value would not increase or stay stable as the clean-titled vehicles have.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:32 PM
Topduarte
Safety Car

Received 852 Likes on 556 Posts

I would take the $16k now.

Good luck!!

Last edited by Topduarte; 10-29-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:55 PM
She_Thicc
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 270 Likes on 173 Posts

Find exactly similar cars with a rebuilt title and all the same features, including the adaptive suspension.

Make a list of the cars and send it to them with link/prices/details/etc.

I'm not totally sure how this works with rebuilt titles, but they have to compare like-for-like cars with the same features to come up with a fair assessment. If you aren't finding anything for the amount they are offering, show them what you've found and go from there.

A very rough figure I used when car shopping, which seemed to hold weight across sellers, was for every 10k miles the car had, the value reduced by $1k. So if the rebuilt cars you are finding have 120,000 and yours has 70,000, your car could be worth $5k more than those.

Last edited by She_Thicc; 10-29-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:58 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

There is no such thing as comps for a rebuilt car. They are being generous to only take $10 off a comparable non-rebuilt car.

However, you have some options...do searches for non-rebuilt cars like yours, and supply a lengthy list of such cars as your own comp findings. Surely you know how to google, and use ebay, and cars.com, autotrader.com, etc.

Apparently, they chose a standard value for your car of $26K, and knocked off $10k for the title. Do better than they did, and give them your findings. That is all you can do.

BTW, try not to be one of those folks who wants answers, but won't give us info. Year, trim level, options, condition, and what you are being offered should be shared in the first post.

Good luck. Insurance companies usually win in a negotiation of this type.
The following 3 users liked this post by buckmeister2:
FAUEE (10-29-2021), jbc1995fb (10-29-2021), mkel2010 (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 03:13 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,395 Posts

My family owns a owns a automotive salvage yard and I always figure a branded title is a 20% to 30% deduct.

We've had cars that were perfect and only received them because the car was stolen at some point in its life and the insurance already paid out.... it doesn't matter... it's still going to get hit with a 20% to 30% deduct because of the branded title.

That's my two cents.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:21 PM
CXRs
Advanced

Thank you all for the responses.

Originally Posted by jbc1995fb
Okay so be honest to us on here. What did you pay for your car?
A bit more than 10, but that was before completing any repairs.

Originally Posted by JABCAT
Correct, you won’t be able to get another one with similar equipment and mileage for $16k, but you had to understand when you purchased it that it’s value would not increase or stay stable as the clean-titled vehicles have.
I did understand that, I'm not looking for an explanation on the price, I'm trying to find reputable sources that I can check. Manual, rebuilt, Z51 cars with under 80k miles are hard to find.

Originally Posted by She_Thicc
Find exactly similar cars with a rebuilt title and all the same features, including the adaptive suspension.

Make a list of the cars and send it to them with link/prices/details/etc.

I'm not totally sure how this works with rebuilt titles, but they have to compare like-for-like cars with the same features to come up with a fair assessment. If you aren't finding anything for the amount they are offering, show them what you've found and go from there.

A very rough figure I used when car shopping, which seemed to hold weight across sellers, was for every 10k miles the car had, the value reduced by $1k. So if the rebuilt cars you are finding have 120,000 and yours has 70,000, your car could be worth $5k more than those.
I have been digging around for similar models, but it's pretty hard to find any. The only consistent rebuilt title cars I've found are all over 100k, and beat to the high heavens, and priced around 14-15k. Some lower, some higher, but not by a bunch.

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
There is no such thing as comps for a rebuilt car. They are being generous to only take $10 off a comparable non-rebuilt car.

However, you have some options...do searches for non-rebuilt cars like yours, and supply a lengthy list of such cars as your own comp findings. Surely you know how to google, and use ebay, and cars.com, autotrader.com, etc.

Apparently, they chose a standard value for your car of $26K, and knocked off $10k for the title. Do better than they did, and give them your findings. That is all you can do.

BTW, try not to be one of those folks who wants answers, but won't give us info. Year, trim level, options, condition, and what you are being offered should be shared in the first post.

Good luck. Insurance companies usually win in a negotiation of this type.
My bad, I thought I included it in the first post. The car is an 05 Z51, M6, and as near as I can figure, all options except for adaptive suspension and a glass roof. It has the heated seats, nav, onstar, memory package, and by every guide I can find is missing nothing that was an available option.

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
My family owns a owns a automotive salvage yard and I always figure a branded title is a 20% to 30% deduct.

We've had cars that were perfect and only received them because the car was stolen at some point in its life and the insurance already paid out.... it doesn't matter... it's still going to get hit with a 20% to 30% deduct because of the branded title.

That's my two cents.
I know it took a hit when it was rebuilt, but I'm trying to figure out where I can look to find other cars in similar condition. I know over the years as I was looking for a c6, there weren't any that weren't nearly destroyed with 2x the miles going for under 15k.

Last edited by CXRs; 10-29-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:53 PM
notalk
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

1. Insur companies use auction prices to set values. Don't know how many salvage titled C6's show up at auction. Auction houses don't like to give out their sold prices to non-members.
2. FWIW, have you tried online offers from CarMax and/or Carvana? They usually check by VIN, so they should recognize the salvage title. May be worth a shot.
3. Otherwise, you'll have to pay a recognized valuator; especially one whose valuations have already been accepted by insur companies.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a good source of info on current prices.

Quick Reply: Looking for a good source of info on current prices.