C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does every Tesla owner want to race?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 09:59 PM
scalbert
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorsJMC
Since you drive both, how does the lack of sound (vroom) on acceleration compare?
I just can't imagine quiet acceleration.
It's weird at first but get used to it. There is no shifting either. It is just a constant force, like one on a magnetic driven roller coaster. A slight whine from the motors and then wind noise.

The silence is welcome in traffic or highway trips, but really weird on back roads when pushing it. You hear the tires much sooner.

But if on back roads, I will take my Corvette if I can.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:36 PM
GTS Bruce
Burning Brakes

Received 518 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by DrKrieger
They are faster....that's why.......UNTIL after the quarter mile.....by the time you get to the half mile you'll catch up. Not something I would do. I have a good friend who has a Model 3 Tesla, and he said he'd love to race me. I have an A & A S/C, LS7 in a base coupe. I told him I would race title for tile from Phoenix to LA, and he won't take me up on it!
I always agree to race them but I set the distance as you have done.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:24 PM
Pettrix
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't own an electric car but if I did, I would use one to go to and from work. They have a purpose and make great work commute cars. Long distance have issues but supposedly they are improving the infrastructure for charging stations. We shall see...

I can work on ICE cars but electric cars are a whole different animal. Dropping the battery pack requires a car lift and special training to service. Not a DIYer type of repair.
Old 05-26-2023, 04:31 PM
scalbert
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Pettrix
I don't own an electric car but if I did, I would use one to go to and from work. They have a purpose and make great work commute cars. Long distance have issues but supposedly they are improving the infrastructure for charging stations. We shall see...

I can work on ICE cars but electric cars are a whole different animal. Dropping the battery pack requires a car lift and special training to service. Not a DIYer type of repair.
Excellent point on to work and back and add errands. I would not have an EV if you cannot charge at home. I stress this to others when they ask about the car. But when you have a Level 2 charger at home and charge every night, you wake up with a "full tank" every morning.

For long trips, it depends on how long. For me, if over 250 miles, I will stop and charge between 150 and 200 miles. But then again, I do this now anyway with my Corvette or my wife's Audi. I need to stretch my legs a bit after 2 - 3 hours in the car. For the charging stop, Tesla has more options since they have their Supercharging network of Tesla only chargers (for now in most areas). But I also have the adapter to use a CCS station (current standard for non-Tesla DC fast charging). Depending on the distance, I may only need to charge for 10 - 20 minutes if my destination is within 150 more miles (300 - 400 miles total trip) depending on the charger used and the current SoC (battery level). The lower the SoC, the faster it charges and slows as it gets more charge. Most cell phones do this. One point on charger versus filling up with fuel. My brother and I debate this but he is one to put the fuel handle in and go inside. I hate this and won't leave a car being fueled, unattended. With electric, you can plug in and walk away.

For the destination, I pick a hotel that has a Level 2 charger and plug in when I get there and "fill up the tank" while I am sleeping.

I have done 600-mile trips and stopped twice for charging. Most times I would grab a bite and have enough charge added when ready to make it to the next stop. That is the difference, you only add enough charge to make it to your destination or next stop.

I will say this. It is not as convenient to a gasoline vehicle while on a road trip. It takes more planning. But if you take two road trips a year, it is hardly a major inconvenience compared to the convenience it provides in day-to-day activity. But still lacks the sound and thrill that a Corvette provides. I am thankful to experience both. I wouldn't have a Tesla (or other EV) if it were my only transportation. That is just me based on my situation.

As for working on the car, other than the battery and motors, no different. I have Eibach springs on mine with spacers and aftermarket wheels. The drivetrain is simpler though with less to maintain. Brakes last for a long time due to using regenerative braking. The battery cooling loop is supposed to be sealed and lifetime as it doesn't get as hot. The batteries are mandated to have at least an 8 year - 100k warranty. For replacing the battery, there is an emerging aftermarket for this that replaces dead cells and then provide a warranty. I have even seen videos of people swapping battery packs in their garage on jack stands.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:05 PM
KennyPowers
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

The paradigm of the car may change for some, but not for me..

Loud, stinking like gas and exhaust.. thats a CAR to me

(not the electric pile of bricks)
The following users liked this post:
tommyc6z06 (06-05-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 02:59 PM
Franko97
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For the same reason Mustang drivers and BMW drivers do. They drive like they have something to prove. We don't. LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by Franko97:
Shzfast (05-30-2023), TortugaGS (05-30-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 10:56 PM
1320#me
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Every electric car I come across gets a good hard V8 thunder exhaust note from me because I burn real fuel and will continue to do so until I am gone to meet my maker. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for understanding.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1320#me:
KennyPowers (06-05-2023), ominousone (06-05-2023), tommyc6z06 (06-05-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 10:44 PM
scotp71
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We have a Tesla Model Y (the smaller SUV) for my wife. I'm no EV fanboy or anything and I could give two rips about our impact on the "environment", whatever that means. But since my wife has to drive a ton for her work, I did the math and it just made sense for us. In fact, the difference in gas, even after paying the extra electricity for charging, is enough of a savings to pay for the car payment and then some. I'm not saying they are for everyone in every situation, but it did make sense for us.

I feel like I have to make that disclaimer because I know most people have a preconceived notion about the people who drive Teslas. Heck, I know I did. But if there is a typical Teslaowner, I'm probably not it. Anyway, having said all that, the car is pretty amazing. Not only is it stupid fast, but it has great tech, it's pretty darn comfortable, and there is tons of space in it for the size vehicle it is. Say what you want about EVs, not having a traditional powertrain definitely opens up the floorplan andmakes for way more storage.

I'll say one last thing about the performance. I have a 2012 Grand Sport with full bolt-ons and a Texas Speed stage 3 cam that puts down 485rwhp. So it's not the fastest thing on the road, but it's not exactly slow. We've never lined the two up, so I can't say for sure, but judging by the seat of my pants, my wife's car would smoke mine. I feel like I would start to catch her and maybe even pass her up somewhere close to the 100mph range, but from zero to then? Let's just say there's a reason why I haven't lined up with her: I don't want to hear her talking smack forever after she beats me.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:37 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Driven a couple of Tesla’s and they were ok but left me lacking as I enjoy jamming gears and the lack of engine sound was downright strange. What makes a good percentage of enjoyment with my vette is S/C engine and the exhaust that’s loud and exciting when it’s fired up. Try to imagine a Formula 1 or NASCAR event with silent vehicles? I doubt the sport of motor car racing will be very exciting with EV’s silently whizzing around a race track. I also need a good pickup that can tow 8000 lbs 500 miles in a day! No such EV exists that can do that right now. Read about Fords expensive F150 Lightening which is laughable trying to tow any weight an appreciable distance. Probably get there someday but today is not that someday.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:03 AM
KennyPowers
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by scotp71
Let's just say there's a reason why I haven't lined up with her: I don't want to hear her talking smack forever after she beats me.
Just rev it up to 4500, let the clutch out and put your foot to the floor.. shift to second.. that tesla will be right next to you, dont worry!!

Practice makes perfect!

Quick Reply: Why does every Tesla owner want to race?