C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Top speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 01:16 PM
ominousone
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Years ago I had a little BMW on the autobahn that I held flat out for about 20 minutes at 210 KPH (130 MPH). All of a sudden I heard this outrageous sound, thought the motor was about to blow then a Lambo blew past me at least 30 MPH faster. So don't forget to check your mirrors frequently.
That's why the "keep right except to pass" rule is so strictly taught and enforced, unlike here. It's been a while since I've seen any stats, but the autobahn is (was?) safer than our freeways here.
Old 11-16-2023, 02:36 PM
huntfortravel
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It still is.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:06 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,768 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
If you get a model that has the under area open to the radiator closing that off will help with less high speed lift. Some models, I think all base models, are both a front and bottom breather. I've done the mod and there is less float feeling at high speed. Also I didn't notice engine heat being bad but I haven't let it at high speed for many mins.
That's what's nice about the APR splitters. They have that built into them as you can see in the picture above.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:34 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 389 Likes on 321 Posts

Yes it's a good feature! There is another place making one similar but I can't remember who.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:10 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Yes it's a good feature! There is another place making one similar but I can't remember who.
You're probably thinking about the Katech. Of course, I would consider this more of a racing application than a street application since it sacrifices the fog lights to install brake cooling ducts.

Old 11-17-2023, 04:09 AM
oussie
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
Keep in mind that in many places, you're going to be limited to 130 KPH. And there are a LOT of speed traps where the limit will go up and down almost without warning. Rarely have I ever stayed above 160 KPH for any length of time, and virtually never above 180 KPH. 150 MPH (let alone 180 MPH) is realistically not going to happen.

And they will hold you accountable for excessive speed if you get in an accident. There may be no speed limits posted. But if you're in an accident and you're doing 200 KPH and they are doing 130 KPH, you're going to be found at fault. I'll put money on it.
Amen!.
I drive a couple of times a year in Germany. There are in the North and in the West highways where you can go fast. But not for hours.
There is ALWAYS roadwork, go at night and there are speed limits because of the roadnoise.
Heck even got 2 tickets in March this year driving the 3. And the prices went up too.
For years speeding was relative cheap.

But Germany is still a Great (and beautifull) country to drive.
Even with not speeding, the feeling that you dont have to look constantly at the speedo is priceless.
The following users liked this post:
huntfortravel (11-17-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 08:03 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 914 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by ominousone
That's why the "keep right except to pass" rule is so strictly taught and enforced, unlike here. It's been a while since I've seen any stats, but the autobahn is (was?) safer than our freeways here.
Yes, it's so nice to drive where there is good lane discipline. When we started allowing passing on the right during the double nickel national speed limit that went right out the window.
FAUEE (11-17-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 08:38 AM
ominousone
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Yes, it's so nice to drive where there is good lane discipline. When we started allowing passing on the right during the double nickel national speed limit that went right out the window.
Oh yeah, the NMSL was horrible. I rode to Calif from Minn a few times and what a miserable bunch of $h!t. Trying to get by with 65 MPH and not get a ticket, gong through States like Nebraska and West. And let's not forget the mandated 85 MPH speedometer, so you wouldn't go over 55....BIG thanks to the NMA (Nat'l Motorists Assoc) for leading the cause back to some form of reality in driving. If you aren't a member, you should be!! There's still much to fight, as there are still many anti-fun driving dumbasses running this great Country.
huntfortravel (11-17-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 09:25 AM
MikeFloyd
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 180 Likes on 86 Posts

All of my Corvettes, except one, have been a convertible so no way I'm trying out their top speed.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:37 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 932 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFloyd
All of my Corvettes, except one, have been a convertible so no way I'm trying out their top speed.
I wouldn't bat an eye about going *****-out in a C8 convertible on the proper track.
Old 11-17-2023, 11:22 PM
indyblue67
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 104 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

That, to me is one of THE most beautiful 'vettes ever.

Ok, I'm biased as blue is my favorite color.

I only wish I was just a little more affluent to ba able to own a ZR1. But I can't complain much, my small stable is nicely populated

Old 11-17-2023, 11:25 PM
indyblue67
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 104 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by VetteVinnie
From personal experience with those speeds, adding the ZR1 Aero to my 2008 Z06 was the best thing for it because it felt a bit floaty. I was amazed how well that aero worked. It makes perfect sense to me why the ZR1 appeared so stable during its high-speed test run (hit 207 MPH on their test track). Of course, suspension plays a huge role. My Z06 had DRM Bilstein shocks with the updated bushings and the ZR1 has magnetic ride control. I had my Z06 up to 184 MPH (and it was still pulling hard) and my ZR1 up to 165 MPH (ran out of road).

If you use the ZR1 aero, please make sure you add the fascia reinforcement because the fascia can deform at high speeds.

Side note, my Grand Sport has magnetic ride and APR aero, so in theory it could get up to those higher speeds, but with the convertible, I have no idea how it would perform in comparison, so I haven't even attempted it (and I doubt I will).

I only wish I was just a little more affluent to ba able to own a ZR1. But I can't complain much, my small stable is nicely populated

Old 11-17-2023, 11:35 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by indyblue67

Would you be shocked to learn I only paid $60K + TT&L for it in 2019? It had ~12K miles on it and was pristine. I sold it to a Corvette specialty dealer in 2021 for $55K because I needed a truck. That dealer sold it less than a year later for $68K, and now it's probably worth $80-90K. That car was definitely the one that I should have never sold. They didn't make very many of them in Jetstream Blue, so I doubt I'd ever be able to replace it. Although the Grand Sport is identical in color and features (interior and exterior) minus the LS9, aluminum frame, carbon ceramic brakes and carbon fiber fenders. And I can drop the top! And they made less than a hundred of them in 2011 with the gray top and gray two-tone 4LT interior, so on paper it's more rare than my ZR1 was.
Old 11-18-2023, 11:13 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 509 Likes on 313 Posts
Default I personally would never drive over 150mph even on Autobahn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn Too much could go wrong. Germany should have some public race tracks/courses.
Old 11-18-2023, 07:36 PM
dgrimes22
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OK it's sort of a joke

Some years ago i decided to check top end on my C5 (i now have a 2013 C6). Two lane road West Texas. I got it up to 159, thought i should be able to hang in there to hit 160 but suddenly i got lumps in my throat, I couldn't swallow or breathe, so I pulled over. Turned out it was my B*LLS.
HOXXOH (11-19-2023)

Quick Reply: LS3 Top speed