C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where whould you like to see the gas cap on the C6?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 01:21 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Default Re: Where whould you like to see the gas cap on the C6? (2 Ag R8Cs)

I always thought that the gas cap location on the C3/C4s added some character to the car. Much like the C4 clam shell hood and the wiping pattern of the windshield wipers. Also, I miss that vacuum operated windshield wiper door ( that never properly worked ) on the C3s. :crazy:
Old 09-04-2003, 11:36 AM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Where whould you like to see the gas cap on the C6? (vettemaan)

BEHIND THE LICENSE PLATE

:jester
Old 09-04-2003, 06:41 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Looking cool isn’t a good reason.
Sure it is. All things being equal - put it where it looks best or harkens back to traditional Corvette styling.

I think the middle rear says Corvette. I've never liked the side door on the C5. Too much Chevy and not enough Vette.

But GM being GM, it'll go where the XLR has it just so they can use the same parts. The door might be a different shape for the Vette but it'll be in the same spot. The General is only building 6,000 XLRs so whatever they can scavage from Vette production they will. Its the difference between buying 39,000 assemblies and 33,000.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:14 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Where whould you like to see the gas cap on the C6? (BuckyThreadkiller)

Looking cool isn’t a good reason.

Sure it is. All things being equal - put it where it looks best or harkens back to traditional Corvette styling.

I think the middle rear says Corvette. I've never liked the side door on the C5. Too much Chevy and not enough Vette.

But GM being GM, it'll go where the XLR has it just so they can use the same parts. The door might be a different shape for the Vette but it'll be in the same spot. The General is only building 6,000 XLRs so whatever they can scavage from Vette production they will. Its the difference between buying 39,000 assemblies and 33,000.
But if you have to sacrifice handling for looks then I am against it. It is the same argument use against the pop up headlights. I like the looks of pop up headlights but it is said they add weight and drag. I doubt if they add all they much weigh and I really don'’ drive fast enough at night for the added drag objection to matter to me. However the handling benefit of having a center tank is a valid reason, at least in my opinion, to keep it in the center.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:57 AM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

With the gas tank located where it is (behind the seats) I don't see how they could possibly put the fuel door back in the center, not matter how much I'd enjoy seeing it there. They'd have to run a filler tube from the back center (it'd have to be aft of that long rear window) all the way up and around the trunk and transmission, into the fuel tank. No way would that work. The path would be too convoluted. I do like the central location on my C3, but I don't expect to see it return any time soon.

Scott
Old 09-06-2003, 06:11 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Default Re: Where whould you like to see the gas cap on the C6? (LymanSS)

With the gas tank located where it is (behind the seats) I don't see how they could possibly put the fuel door back in the center, not matter how much I'd enjoy seeing it there. They'd have to run a filler tube from the back center (it'd have to be aft of that long rear window) all the way up and around the trunk and transmission, into the fuel tank. No way would that work. The path would be too convoluted. I do like the central location on my C3, but I don't expect to see it return any time soon.

Scott
Exactly that is my whole point.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:15 PM
GDP
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Behind the rear, outer tail lamp is good because it gives the car a smooth look. Extreme custom cars do this alot of the time. The tail lamp swings out on a hinge. :cool:
Old 09-09-2003, 12:31 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Default Re: Where whould you like to see the gas cap on the C6? (GDP)

Behind the rear, outer tail lamp is good because it gives the car a smooth look. Extreme custom cars do this alot of the time. The tail lamp swings out on a hinge. :cool:
They did that in the factory with the 1950s Cadillacs, The 1957 Chevy also had it. quite common in the early 1950s
Old 09-09-2003, 03:14 AM
Wilson6t7
Race Director

Behind the hatch/trunk. (ala C4)
Old 09-09-2003, 08:54 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Default Re: Where whould you like to see the gas cap on the C6? (Wilson6t7)

Behind the hatch/trunk. (ala C4)
The tanks are going to be in the center of the car one behind each of the seats how will you get the gas to go from the filler to the tanks? The pipe would take up valuable interior space in order to connect it from the rear to the center tank. The tanks are where they are for a reason that won’t change so any attempt to move the location of the filler has to take in to account the location of the tank.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:17 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

Form follows function. Though the filler door is and will be in an unattractive location (same as the C5 & XLR), the tank design / location is excellent and any attempt to relocate the filler would be an inefficient use of space and weight. If Caddy could have moved it for the XLR, I'm sure they would have.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

Default Re: Where whould you like to see the gas cap on the C6? (LongTimer)

Form follows function. Though the filler door is and will be in an unattractive location (same as the C5 & XLR), the tank design / location is excellent and any attempt to relocate the filler would be an inefficient use of space and weight. If Caddy could have moved it for the XLR, I'm sure they would have.
:iagree: What he says!
Old 09-10-2003, 01:42 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

I have been trying to explain that for the past few pages :banghead: somehow people can't seem to get it through their heads the the filler location is there for a reason.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:53 PM
91vetteboy
Burning Brakes

C4 style :yesnod: :cool: :flag
Old 09-10-2003, 07:02 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

I have been trying to explain that for the past few pages :banghead: somehow people can't seem to get it through their heads the the filler location is there for a reason.
I'm confused. Why are you quoting me, I agree with you.

[Modified by LongTimer, 12:03 AM 9/11/2003]
Old 09-10-2003, 07:50 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Form follows function. Though the filler door is and will be in an unattractive location (same as the C5 & XLR), the tank design / location is excellent and any attempt to relocate the filler would be an inefficient use of space and weight. If Caddy could have moved it for the XLR, I'm sure they would have.I have been trying to explain that for the past few pages :banghead: somehow people can't seem to get it through their heads the the filler location is there for a reason.

I'm confused. Why are you quoting me, I agree with you.

[Modified by LongTimer, 12:03 AM 9/11/2003]
It wasn't directedn at you, I was trying to point out that you seem to be the only one that has any understanding as to why the filler is located where it is. We even got another post after yours, It doesn't seem to make any diffrence what you or I post :banghead: people still don't get it
Old 12-19-2003, 05:42 PM
Sandy S
Burning Brakes

I really like my C4's location on the deck lid. By being different, it makes the car feel special.

[Modified by Sandy S, 5:43 PM 12/19/2003]
Old 12-19-2003, 11:52 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Though the filler door is and will be in an unattractive location (same as the C5 & XLR)
...and C1.

Quick Reply: Where whould you like to see the gas cap on the C6?