C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparing C5 and C6, and sound levels

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 05:06 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,277 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jschindler
I hope I am reading this wrong. Are you saying you cannot change the seat position while you are driving and re-program the memory? (that you have to wait until you are stopped to set the memory again).

If so, this is horrible. I have now had four Nissan/Infinitis that you cannot set the memory while you are driving. This makes me crazy, and I see no reason for it. The first couple of months I own a car, I am constantly re-setting the seats until I get them just right. I do this while I'm driving. Most of the time I will forget to re-set the memory when I get where I'm going - you have to do it as soon as you stop, before shutting the engine off.

If I read this right, it makes no sense to me. Could someone explain if I read that right, and if so - why???
No, I'm not saying that at all. I was just talking about having the seats automatically go to the driving position you've got set with the memory buttons. With a manual tranny, you must do that by pressing the memory button.

AFAIK, you can save the settings you've got for the seat, mirror, and steering column anytime by pressing and holding the memory button until it beeps twice. I know you can adjust those items while you're driving.

You do have to save the seat, mirror, steering column settings with the memory button before you shut off the engine. Settings for radio, heater, etc. are saved automatically.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 10-24-2004 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 10-25-2004, 10:22 AM
MYC6Vert
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5/C6 Interior Sound Comparisons

Originally Posted by Hoonose
You know, you're right. I should have known that!
When in doubt, consult the manual.
I need to set weighting to "A", more like the human ear. "C" is for the complete audio spectrum, or music.
I also do need to isolate the unit from the console, like you say. It must be picking up vibration and noise through the console.
I'll give it another go in the C6. Alas, the C5 is gone, so comparisons will have to wait for a buddie's C5.
Some of the car mags include interior sound measurements in their reviews. Back issues will show you what they measured in the C5 and the C6.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:00 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MYC6Vert
Some of the car mags include interior sound measurements in their reviews. Back issues will show you what they measured in the C5 and the C6.
Well shoot then! I don't get any car magazines. All's I got is old black and white ****....

Do you remember which mag, or do you remember their conclusions?
Old 10-25-2004, 12:13 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,188 Posts

I believe the magazines are reporting similar sound readings in C6 as C5, but they still report that, subjectively, the car seems quieter.

Use the A scale and have a passenger hold the mic at ear level.

C and D reported 55/87/74 dbA at idle/WOT/70 MPH cruise.

74 dbA at cruise is fairly loud, but not out-of-bounds for a sports car. Luxury cars are usually in the range of 64-69 dbA at 70 MPH, and the actual noise level in a Corvette is probably more sensitive to road surface texture than in a sedan.

Since the dbA scale is logarithmic, a 3 db change represents halving or doubling of actual noise level. Nothwithstanding this, 74 dbA in a Corvette is probably going to sound much better to most people than 74 dbA in a four cylinder econobox.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 10-26-2004 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:28 PM
HHC5
Melting Slicks

Great info Hoonose--good job!!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:40 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
I believe the magazines are reporting similar sound readings in C6 as C5, but they still report that, subjectively, the car seems quieter.

Use the A scale and have a passenger hold the mic at ear level.

C and D reported 55/87/74 dbA at idle/WOT/70 MPH cruise.

74 dbA at cruise is fairly loud, but not out-of-bounds for a sports car. Luxury cars are usually in the range of 64-69 dbA at 70 MPH, and the actual noise level in a Corvette is probably more sensitive to road surface texture than in a sedan.

Since the dbA scale is logarithmic, a 3 db change represents halfing or doubling of actual noise level. Nothwithstanding this, 74 dbA in a Corvette is probably going to sound much better to most people than 74 dbA in a four cylinder econobox.

Duke
Thanks for the info and recommendations. It's all making more sense, now. Too bad I can't go back and check my C5, properly. If I can find someone foolish enough, I'll redo the C6!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:46 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

Good objective reporting!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 01:03 PM
Tenderfoot
Drifting

I also don't like the black carpet in back. I'd rather have matching carpet, and live with any reflections.
I have to call from GM on this one. I have the shale interior including the hatch area which is very light in my 50th AE coupe and I don't have any issues with reflections. The beige colored dash however does reflect more than a darker dash would. Nice write-up. Thanks for sharing your impressions. Enjoy the ride and many miles of smiles .
Old 10-25-2004, 01:08 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tenderfoot
I have to call from GM on this one. I have the shale interior including the hatch area which is very light in my 50th AE coupe and I don't have any issues with reflections. The beige colored dash however does reflect more than a darker dash would. Nice write-up. Thanks for sharing your impressions. Enjoy the ride and many miles of smiles .
I had no problem with gray carpet back there, with my C5.
I would love a cashmere dash. Both for looks, and more importantly, it would hide dust better, than black!
Old 10-26-2004, 12:18 PM
MYC6Vert
Intermediate

Well shoot then! I don't get any car magazines. All's I got is old black and white ****....

Do you remember which mag, or do you remember their conclusions?
Search the mag sites on the internet.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

the problem with the RatShack DB meter is that it rolls off lower frequencies. This is well documented by Home Theater gurus that use it themselves. It might not be regestering all the sounds your ears are hearing.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
the problem with the RatShack DB meter is that it rolls off lower frequencies. This is well documented by Home Theater gurus that use it themselves. It might not be regestering all the sounds your ears are hearing.
As I recall, setting my surround and sub, a few years back, it WAS picking up the sub in the 30-50 Hz range, if that means anything. I don't have the manual with me now, but as I recall, the scale I was using in the car, was SUPPOSED to be fairly full spectrum.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:56 PM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More info from Car & Driver:

2005 Corvette Coupe

INTERIOR SOUND LEVEL
Idle: 55 dBA
Full-throttle acceleration: 87 dBA
70-mph cruising: 74 dBA

2001 Corvette Z06

INTERIOR SOUND LEVEL
Idle: 62 dBA
Full-throttle acceleration: 87 dBA
70-mph cruising: 76 dBA

Quieter at idle, about the same the rest of the time.

Quick Reply: Comparing C5 and C6, and sound levels